1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Putting On Steel Rims & Snows

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tracker, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Nov 15, 2010 at 10:36 AM
    tracker

tracker [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 doublecab long box
    My 2008 came with 245/75/16 Dumplops on the factory mags. I want to put same size snow tires mounted on steel rims on.
    Can I use the mag lug nuts with the washer. The end of the lug is tapered the same as the hole in the steel rim and are long enough to torque the wheel on.
    The steel rims do not have the tire air pressure sensor will this be a problem? Thanks for any help.

2. Nov 15, 2010 at 11:53 AM
    Jere

Jere Outdoorsman

Member:
    Northern Chester County, PA
    Vehicle:
    '10 Access SR5 4x4 4cyl
    The shank type lugnuts for your alloy wheels do have a tapered end so that they will center a steel wheel. This is primarily so that you can safely run your spare tire (on steel wheel) with the lugnuts from a flat tire on one of your alloys. You will not need the washers, they should make no contact anyway, so stick them in a small parts bag and store them away safely till you need them again next spring.

Your steel wheels without TPMS sensors will cause your dash light to come on. Some other folks on this forum say that if they keep their inflated summer tires/wheel combo near enough to where they park their truck every night (like beside it in the garage), the dash light will sense them and turn off. I haven't seen that myself. I'd say you are likely going to learn to ignore the dash light, it's much cheaper than most of the alternatives.

3. Nov 15, 2010 at 3:07 PM
    tracker

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Jere.

4. Nov 15, 2010 at 5:44 PM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    SBurl Vermont
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DC MGM
    Stock for now
    Like Jere said, I have two sets of tires and rims & only one set of sensors & do not get a light unless I get far enough away that the tpms ecu cannot communicate with the stored set.
    I have been told its a time thing, like a time to live function.
    All I know is I can park overnight 20 miles away from my sensors or all day at work or drive all over town and not get a blinking light.
    That works for me.
    When it does trigger, like on a road trip, I put a business card on the dash to cover the idiot light then once I get home, it resets overnight.
    Every time.
    Its been this way for the past few seasons, both on my tacoma and tundra.

5. Nov 16, 2010 at 2:18 PM
    tracker

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I can live with the tire indicator light on in the dash.
    I picked up 24 wheel lugs a the dealer for the steel wheels and now I need to win a lottery to pay for them. A new truck would of been cheaper than the 24 lugs.
    Dealer first said that mag lugs can not be used on steel rims but changed his story when I told him my truck came with a steel rim spare. The mag lugs now can be used on a steel rim spare but only to get you to a tire shop.
    Great if I get a flat in the city but what about getting a flat at moose camp?
    Now I know why I spend fall at camp away from people where the weather and what your next meal will be is your only problem you have to deal with. Thanks again.:)

To Top