1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Puzzled I guess!

Discussion in 'Towing' started by Bigpat5123, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Jun 5, 2009 at 6:36 AM
    Bigpat5123

Bigpat5123 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 2.7L 4x4 m/t
    I was comparing Tacomas on the Toyota website and got puzzled by the towing specifications of the Tacoma. I read my manual and the towing bible so I am up to par on the specs but I still am puzzled.
    So how can the same exact truck, same wheels, tires, brakes, and suspension have such a different towing capacity? Specifically the 4x4 trucks. A/T a lil different than the M/T.
    I know I read the bible and the Toyota kit includes a couple things that you dont get if you just buy a class IV hitch and wiring for it. For the m/t tacos if you add a HD battery and a beefy alternator(not really that neccessary) and possibly an engine oil cooler you should be able to tow the same as a "tow package" Taco IMHO. Even without the additions in the previous sentence a 4k to 5k pound trailer shouldn't be a problem for any new Taco 4 or 6 cylinder I wouldn't think. The 4 cylinder would be a little slow off the line with that kind of load but would be able to pull it safely I think. All trailers with over a 3k pound capacity should have at least a surge brake system on one if not both axles IMO.
    I know travel trailers are kind of in a class of their own due to the increadible amount of tounge weight compared to the trailer size and the non existent aerodynamics. But I think a boat trailer, utility trailer or the likes if in the 4k to 5k lb. range with brakes and tandem axles balanced and a tongue weight no more than 450 shouldn't be a problem.
    Any thoughts are welcomed.

2. Jun 5, 2009 at 6:45 AM
    AUDITECH

AUDITECH Carolina Alliance: LAZY DIVISION

Member:
    charlotte nc
    Vehicle:
    07 double cab prerunner
    none
    The big difference is the trans cooler for the A/T trans. As the fluid gets hot kiss that trans good bye. With the M/T i cant see the cooler making a whole lot of difference. The only friction surface for power transfer is the clutch and you sure dont want oil there.

3. Jun 5, 2009 at 6:47 AM
    Bigpat5123

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 2.7L 4x4 m/t
    AUDITECH thats exactly what I was puzzled about. With a M/T there is no trans cooler due to the direct drive unlike the A/T. I think it can be safely done, although out of Toyotas specs so may void warranty if anything happens but can safely be done I think.

4. Jun 5, 2009 at 6:50 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Hmmm...They both show a 6500 lb. tow rateing....What are you finding?

5. Jun 5, 2009 at 6:54 AM
    Bigpat5123

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 2.7L 4x4 m/t
    Im talking about the "tow package" vs. non- tow package equipped trucks. The 6500 is only with the "tow package" for the 6 cylinder m/t or a/t, not the 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder w/o the "tow package" which are rated at 3500.

6. Jun 5, 2009 at 7:03 AM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    The tow package trucks are also pre-wired for trailer brakes. The tow rating of the truck also takes into account the ability of the truck to stop the load it is hauling. Surge brakes exist on some large boat trailers, and on rental u-haul trailers, but by and large surge brakes are the exception not the rule. My travel trailer, enclosed motorcycle trailer and enclosed car hauler all have electric brakes, and not surge brakes.

While your statement is likely technically correct, in that a non tow package equipped manual trans v6, could perform the same as a tow package equipped manual trans v6, with a trailer with surge brakes. Toyota creates the tow rating to cover their ass and to protect the consumers, because by and large the majority of the consumer has not thought this out as far as you have, and most people think that just because they have a truck they can tow what ever they want. However all that said, it really is far easier and cheaper to get the tow package from the factory then to try to set it up to tow after the fact.

Just my $0.02

7. Jun 5, 2009 at 7:09 AM
    Bigpat5123

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 2.7L 4x4 m/t
    Maverick I was hoping you would chime in, I have read alot of what you have wrote on the forum and it is very accurate IMO.
    In your opinion, if the Taco is equipped with a class IV hitch and a brake controller/system 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder should be able to tow a 4k to 5k lb. trailer rather easily and safely? 4 cylinder with a little more effort of course! Ya or nay?

8. Jun 5, 2009 at 8:43 AM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    There is a lot of "it depends" coming in my answer. If we are talking about a a pop-up camper, a flatbed trailer or a boat then I would say that a properly equipped 4-cyl could tow a 4000 lb - 5000 lb load. If we are talking about an enclosed motorcycle/car hauler or hard side RV, then I think the answer would have to be no.

Just from my personal experience, I traded in my 04 2.7L 5-speed on my 07 4.0L 6-speed after one 15 mile trip with our travel trailer. (3750 wet and loaded). I had previously towed my father's boat (4100 lbs) with the 04 and while I noticed the increased stopping distance I did not feel it was un-safe. With the RV I did feel un-safe, I felt that the trailer did not have the power on tap to be able to accelerate my self and my family out of danger if I needed it to with the 2.7L.

Now I am aware that the 2.7L was re-worked in 05 and has a better torque and power curve now, but I have no personal experience with the new 2.7L engines and towing. My answer would be that the V6 properly equipped could manage it fine, but that the 2.7L has a problem overcoming the air resistance of a square front hard side trailer.

I am not sure that I've given you the answers you asked for, but I hope it's been of some help. If I can clarify anything please let me know.

Adam

9. Jun 5, 2009 at 8:59 AM
    Bigpat5123

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 2.7L 4x4 m/t
    maverick you pointed out exactly what I was thinking about the 2.7L. The reason I was asking the question in the first place was due to the fact that my dad is looking at a boat and wanted to know if I could tow it down to the cape for him since he doesnt have a tow vehicle. I have a class III hitch professionally installed on my access cab 2.7L sr5 4x4 5 spd. and I told him that I probably could but let me talk with some people that have done it. its a 21' walkaround thats on a tandem axle with brakes and under the 350 lb. tongue weight. My only concern was the total weight of the boat, motor and trailer with fluids which comes in around 4,350 or so. You towing the 4,100 pounder makes me feel more confident in my travel if he does get the boat. Would be mostly highway cruising for the most part till I have to go to the marina. As you stated the stopping distance will be significant compared to not towing but that is common with any towing of that weight. If proper towing techniques and safe driving are performed I think the Taco will do just fine.

10. Jun 15, 2009 at 4:58 AM
    EdgeR6

EdgeR6 Member

Member:
    Hampton VA
    Vehicle:
    trd off road

if you have a tandame axle that trailer should have brakes and you going to want to install a brake controller.

11. Jun 23, 2009 at 12:51 AM
    simonreale

simonreale Well-Known Member

Member:
    You do realise you can solve the A/T over heating problem by installing a larger cooler, they sell for about $100aus, so like $60-70US.

12. Jun 24, 2009 at 3:34 AM
    simonreale

simonreale Well-Known Member

Member:
    Has anyone tryed the A/T cooler upgrade on there tacomas?

13. Jun 24, 2009 at 7:24 AM
    ofrd4fun

ofrd4fun Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver BC
    Vehicle:
    05 DC 4x4
    FJ Cruiser wheels, air bags, 5100's @1.75, TC UCA's, bi-xenon HID's
    My 05 4x4 d. cab AT does not have the tow package and it is rated to tow 5000 lbs. I pull a 3200 lb. travel trailer and for added insurance I had my local Toyota dealer install an AT cooler that they recommended that was larger than the one included with the tow package. Now I don't worry at all.

Products Discussed in

To Top