1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Quad cab vs. reg. cab I need input

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by HedgehogOutdoors, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Apr 21, 2012 at 7:43 AM
    Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man The Rembrandt of Rattle Can

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    1998 Ext Cab 3.4 4x4 TRD 5MT, 2004 DC 3.4 4x4 TRD
    You went through a month worth of threads to post that?

:confused:

2. Apr 21, 2012 at 11:05 AM
    TacoBran

TacoBran You're Unique, Just Like Everyone Else

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Peoria, AZ
    Vehicle:
    03 Double Cab 4x4 TRD SOLD, 02 Double Cab Pre-Runner
    Icon coilovers, TC UCA, icon shocks w/resi's, deaver leafs - 4x4 swap in progress
    I've had all 3, regular extended and now a DC. They all served a purpose for me.

When I was 18-19 I could only afford my regular cab. Loved that truck! I liked that it only fit 1 other person. That meant when I went out with my friends we were taking their cars and trashing them :D

86d6_6db18a8fdf2a14e229e5a9be7871deb061f89abe.jpg

Sold that when I had out grown it. My main complaint was obviously cab space for gear, when going out wheeling all your gear has to be in the bed getting wet if it rains. I had a tool box, but only so much fits in it lol. That and groceries when not wheeling lol

Picked up an extended cab because I wanted to SAS it but wanted the cab space. So it was bye bye to the regular cab and hello to an extended cab. Cut her all up and put the solid axle under it.

IMG_0178_a74d1a1566f3e42db2d892dace1ad55bba2ae7c4.jpg

Once the family got bigger it was time to buy something we could all fit in and enjoy the outdoors together in.

IMG_2513_dd208ef962fa6e3ef1b55211eecaf97ac4126919.jpg

So it depends on what you plan to use your truck for and how much you have to spend :)

3. Apr 21, 2012 at 2:07 PM
    shampoop

shampoop Well-Known Member

Member:
    southwest WA
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma extracab v6 auto trd offroad 4x4
    If you're a student, a regular cab is a terrible idea. No cabs are wide enough to sleep in. 1st gens are extemely narrow. I think extra cabs are the best if you're going to keep a lot of stuff in the back as it's very easy to reach back and grab something, good spot for a subwoofer etc. and you have a full size bed. But double cabs are the only way to seat 4 comfortably.

regular cab + 2 students with backpacks, fagettaboutit!

4. Apr 21, 2012 at 3:55 PM
    Gorillazrus

Gorillazrus To be continued...

Member:
    Vehicle:
    01 Prerunner SR5
    5100 Bilistens set @ 1" in front, Wheelers 5 leaf in rear, Leer Topper, TRD Skid Plate, Dual Band Ham Radio
    Dub cab for sure.
    I've had all three as well, and have to say if your able go ahead and get the dub. cab
    2 people on vacation plus all your stuff and it will fill up fast plus you can carry more people comfortably around town.

And if you want to sleep in the bed just let down the tailgate

5. Apr 21, 2012 at 4:14 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    I think you are the one that needs to grow up for getting so butt hurt at a clearly sarcastic comment and reviving this thread just to say that. I think for telling someone to grow their tall punk ass up you are the one with the mind of a kid. Im sorry he offended your single cab so much. And you're 51:rolleyes:

i saw that truck, then saw the SFA and proceeded to :drool::drool: I wouldn't have sold that thing for Pamela Anderson's tits.

6. Apr 21, 2012 at 4:28 PM
    Leggo

Leggo slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    If you get a DC, you have more space to pile up crap and drive around with it all the time because I, (I mean you) am to lazy to clean it out. But a regular cab means you don't have that crap with you ever. Access cab, the best of both worlds. Only drive around with a small amount of crap in the truck all the time.:D

7. Apr 21, 2012 at 4:33 PM
    12Tac

12Tac Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2020 Double Cab, Long-bed TRD Off Road.
    SnugTop, FN Wheels, Meso Custom, Tacos4Cheap
    I agree.

8. Apr 21, 2012 at 5:49 PM
    TacoBran

TacoBran You're Unique, Just Like Everyone Else

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Peoria, AZ
    Vehicle:
    03 Double Cab 4x4 TRD SOLD, 02 Double Cab Pre-Runner
    Icon coilovers, TC UCA, icon shocks w/resi's, deaver leafs - 4x4 swap in progress
    I cried when the new owner drove away. :( but it's only money and she surved her purpose well. I can always build another one right? Lol

9. Apr 21, 2012 at 7:00 PM
    Cams Taco

Cams Taco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Ft Lauderdale
    Vehicle:
    04 Double cab
    I've been a fan of Toyota trucks for the longest time. While I've always liked the extra cabs, I really love my 2004 doublecab. What I like is that I've had 1 to 4 passengers ride along. I've been able to sleep in it comfortably for a short nap. I've gone on road trips and had lots of fun. Even had girls in the backseat. while I really enjoy my 2004 and it still looks great I kinda wish I had waited a couple of months and got the second gen. When my buddy got an 05 doublecab I was kinda bummed. A little more room inside. I'm gonna keep my 2004 til the wheels fall off. Just my opinion.

10. Apr 21, 2012 at 7:20 PM
    HedgehogOutdoors

HedgehogOutdoors [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    CT
    Vehicle:
    '98 4runner SR5
    haha, that's one of the reasons I asked about the space if you know what I mean.

11. Apr 21, 2012 at 7:25 PM
    HedgehogOutdoors

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    CT
    Vehicle:
    '98 4runner SR5
    I've been looking for a manual so I can get used to it in case I ever needed it. I'm eventually getting a motorcycle, and a truck license, so that would definitely be handy. And I'd like to try sleeping in it to get a feel for that in case I ever had to leave home. Thanks.

12. Apr 21, 2012 at 7:29 PM
    HedgehogOutdoors

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    CT
    Vehicle:
    '98 4runner SR5
    I just checked out my friend's grandpa's full sized Chevy regular cab, and that is awful for space, I can't imagine behind the seat of a reg. cab Taco. There's one near me that might be going up for sale, though. Can't afford it though haha.

13. Apr 21, 2012 at 7:31 PM
    HedgehogOutdoors

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    CT
    Vehicle:
    '98 4runner SR5
    Sorry about my lack of posts everyone, I completely forgot about this thread!

14. Apr 21, 2012 at 7:47 PM
    ILove2Drive

ILove2Drive Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    WV
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4X4 5 Speed Manual
    Halo headlights, Black tail light covers, dual exhaust, 5100s front and rear, eibach coils, wheelers 1.5 AAL, window tint, bow arrow antenna, bull bar, painted grille emblem, debadged, raceline rims, a few decals, CB radio, alpine HU, husky floor liners, tool box, mesh grill...and more to come eventually
    X2! I'm a student and me and my buddy take turns driving and when I drive we just stack our books in the center of the bench and I use it as an arm rest pretty much haha. Definitely not enough room in a reg cab for all that, I'd say the access cab is the best of both worlds.

15. Apr 21, 2012 at 8:08 PM
    theGastone

theGastone New vehicle/Tacoma *****

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Leesburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    '97 Standard
    OP I'm 6'3" and I have had to sleep in my regular cab taco on more occasions than I would care to admit. It is very possible to sleep across the bench but it's definitely not comfortable since you can't fit the seatbelt buckles into the cushion they'll jam into your ribs/back/hips. But it's definitely better than driving home drunk... Just make sure that you don't put the keys in the ignition and the cops can't touch you.

On another note, my Pawpaw kept saying I should get a four door so I could double date, to which I replied, "Pawpaw, I don't 'double date'." lol

16. Apr 22, 2012 at 1:49 PM
    Phuket

Phuket Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    03 4X4 TRD
    Eibach/Toytec coils, bilstein 5100's all around, Kenwood DNX7100 Navigation
    get a double cab, bitches love double cabs:cool:

17. Apr 22, 2012 at 3:51 PM