1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Quadcopters anyone?

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by Btnewman, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Oct 19, 2013 at 1:03 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    I flew this config without issue on mine. In my world the video TX is usually 5x to 10x the power of the radio.

Colin, I do have a LOw pass filter that u can get to you try.

2. Oct 19, 2013 at 8:50 AM
    mutilatedjak

mutilatedjak n00b waffle

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    11 DC SB TRD Sport 6spd
    BP-51s, Dakar leafs, ARB bumper, 4xinnovations rear HC, 3x trail camera, pure android, lightforce 170s, Dick Cepek 255 85s extreme terrain.
    That's just asking to watch your aircraft fly away out of control range with crystal clear video heh heh. But I guess if you have a good rtl then you might be ok.

3. Oct 19, 2013 at 5:54 PM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    I don't go lost comms with those setups until I'm typically around 30nm at which point I can usually get a command thru to bring the aircraft closer to close the range...

4. Oct 19, 2013 at 8:28 PM
    mutilatedjak

mutilatedjak n00b waffle

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    11 DC SB TRD Sport 6spd
    BP-51s, Dakar leafs, ARB bumper, 4xinnovations rear HC, 3x trail camera, pure android, lightforce 170s, Dick Cepek 255 85s extreme terrain.
    But that phantom has a 2.4 ghz controller... 30nm seems far fetched. ( nm = nautical miles correct?)

It's just an added risk is all but if it works for you, it works.

5. Oct 21, 2013 at 10:16 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    Im looking at getting an almost ready to fly kit like the DJI 450 flamewheel.
    I also noticed they offer the 350 as well buy its only 10 bucks cheaper. Would there be any benefit to getting the smaller quad?

Link is for the 450
    http://www.amainhobbies.com/product...50-ARF-Quadcopter-Kit-w-Motors-ESC-Propellers

Or would an all inclusive kit be better to get?
    http://store.3drobotics.com/products/3dr-arducopter-quad-c-frame-kit-1

I would like to be able to mount a gopro on the quad down the road and possibly a small FPV setup as well.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  6. Oct 21, 2013 at 10:20 AM
    colinb17

colinb17 If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    Mike will tell you not to get a flamewheel because they are flexible which will make for shakey video. I haven't flown one, but i tend to trust mike in this area.

if you do get a flamewheel, go with the 450 or larger. i held a 350 last week, and the thing is very tiny. as far as outdoor flying with a slight breeze, it won't be much better than your mini. sure a GPS mode would keep it in one spot, but it'll have to work to do that.

7. Oct 21, 2013 at 10:54 AM
    carcharias

carcharias Giggiddy what what

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    Kings all-around w/ 700lb coils, Dakar leaf pack, TC uca's, DO single hoop bumper, BAMF bolt-on sliders w/ kickouts, Rigid 20" e-series spot/flood, aFe pro-dry, BFG KM2 255/85/16, silver TRD FJ wheels, WARN M8000-s, Access LE, Grillcraft, BAMF lightbar, BAMF rear dif skid, BAMF LCA skids, window tint, Wet Okoles, WeatherTech floorliners, Silverstar lights, led dome lights, Redline Tuning hood struts, center console lock mod, mag-lite mod, extra d-rings, re-routed exhaust, ATO skids, ATO Hi-Lift mounts, pipe tailgate lock, seatbelt alarm delete, wheel/spare locks, Viper 5901, LoJack... WISHLIST: a golden canary that poops platinum
    Guys, what's the learning curve or ease of use of a Phantom? Am looking at attaching their new gimbal, too. Will I crash and burn often, or should a solid day or two of practice get me used to this entry copter?

8. Oct 21, 2013 at 10:55 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    Thanks for the input. Ill standby for Mike :popcorn:

9. Oct 21, 2013 at 11:08 AM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    Extremely easy to fly in GPS mode. Goes a little faster and attitude mode. You will crash it in manual mode (you have to plug it into a cumputer and change around some settings to enable and tune manual mode).

10. Oct 21, 2013 at 11:55 AM
    Btnewman

Btnewman [OP] Benjamin Newman

Member:
    First Name:
    Benjamin
    Grand Junction co
    Vehicle:
    Uh. It's beat to he//. But it's only 1 owner.
    Custom body work/damage ARB rear locker Bumpers Shocks Other parts Tires and Rims Air tank fully plumbed into truck "Golf ball mod"
    Welp. Bout 30 or 40 flights and finally broke a prop. And the spare props I bought, have the wrong size holes... blah. Waiting on snail mail. :(

11. Oct 21, 2013 at 12:02 PM
    carcharias

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    Kings all-around w/ 700lb coils, Dakar leaf pack, TC uca's, DO single hoop bumper, BAMF bolt-on sliders w/ kickouts, Rigid 20" e-series spot/flood, aFe pro-dry, BFG KM2 255/85/16, silver TRD FJ wheels, WARN M8000-s, Access LE, Grillcraft, BAMF lightbar, BAMF rear dif skid, BAMF LCA skids, window tint, Wet Okoles, WeatherTech floorliners, Silverstar lights, led dome lights, Redline Tuning hood struts, center console lock mod, mag-lite mod, extra d-rings, re-routed exhaust, ATO skids, ATO Hi-Lift mounts, pipe tailgate lock, seatbelt alarm delete, wheel/spare locks, Viper 5901, LoJack... WISHLIST: a golden canary that poops platinum
    Awesome! You think GoPro footage, without a gimbal, would be useable on this copter?

12. Oct 21, 2013 at 12:05 PM
    mutilatedjak

mutilatedjak n00b waffle

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    11 DC SB TRD Sport 6spd
    like the typical "thats what she said" bigger is usually better heh heh. Like others have said, better in wind, can carry a gopro better, easier to see it when it gets a little further away, etc. 450 is a good size.

Both of those kits are good options. I love the APM and find it is great. Others havnt had as easy of a time with it. If it were me...with those two, I would go with the flame wheel and an APM. The phantom would be good too.

The flame wheel arms are fine if you have a good camera mount. Chasing vibes on a copter can be a black art though. Thankfully its a lot easier on a multi copter than a normal RC heli.

13. Oct 21, 2013 at 12:08 PM
    mutilatedjak

mutilatedjak n00b waffle

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    11 DC SB TRD Sport 6spd
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPXqM1_8t6w

this is really well done considering there isnt a gimbal or anything. You can see some jello in the shot though. Depending on what you mean by useable, the phantom should be able to get you some decent footage.

14. Oct 21, 2013 at 12:19 PM
    carcharias

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    That's actually a lot better footage than I thought! Nice pull, thanks! How would you rate that operator in the film? Good, bad, noob, experienced? I'm wondering if I could get that same footage myself without ever having flown a copter. :eek: I've built/love r/c cars, though!

15. Oct 21, 2013 at 12:31 PM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    it's less than desired with the stock mount, but tolerable. for under $20 you can get a jello/vibration reducing fixed mount that aparently does a nice job if you don't want to splurge for a gimbal.

i think i posted this a couple pages back. jsut some raw footage i took a week or so ago. everything from slow cruising to flips in this one, so you'll see under what conditions you really get some vibration, and when it's crystal clear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC5dCVjo3qA&feature=c4-overview&list=UUXe4AY77gNKXW9QrIeVfuyQ

16. Oct 21, 2013 at 12:37 PM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    the flying in that video is very basic. in "attitude" mode if you make it move sideways and then let go of the sticks, it will continue along that path and rate of speed on its own, so for a numper of those real smothe shots, the operator probably wasn't even doing anything. you'll be able to fly like in that video within a day or two no problem. especially since your depth of field from driving rc cars and trucks already.

17. Oct 21, 2013 at 12:44 PM
    carcharias

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    Dang, you're good! (When did you move to TX??) Makes me feel better if I can take my hands off the controls and it'll continue. You weren't transmitting a video feed to the ground, right? You just eyeballed your shots. I just found a rental for $350/wk with 30minutes of pilot training thrown in.

18. Oct 21, 2013 at 12:50 PM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    thank you, but the phantom makes me look better than i am ;) i still have a lot of improving to do. most of that video was with full time tx input. not a lot of hands off drifting. just line of sight as well.

the nicest feature (for learning at least) is the gps mode. if you start to panic, just let go and it will stop and hover in place (you still have to adjust altitude). it also has a return to home function built in, so if you lose it, just turn off the transmitter and it will gain 60 FT of additional altitude, fly back to you, and land where it took off from.

19. Oct 21, 2013 at 2:56 PM
    carcharias

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    Whoa, that sounds like exactly what I need to practice with. Thanks for the advice!

20. Oct 21, 2013 at 7:09 PM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Careful with that return home function... sometimes she goes away... :laugh:

To Top