1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Question: 2017 coilover color code

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by genconex, May 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. May 25, 2017 at 8:38 PM
    genconex

genconex [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    San Tan Valley
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport DC LB 4X4
    -Leer shell -ImMrYo mirror bracket -OME suspension kit -1.5" Body Lift -Dirt King UCAs -Dirt King LCAs -Hypertech Speedometer Calibrator -315/17R70's on 17x9 wheels -Pelfrey aluminum front bumper -Smitty XRC 9500 winch with Warn wireless remote and incab switch -Blackoak LED lightbar -Rigid fog lights
    One of my buddies with a 2017 gave his stock coilovers to another buddy with a 2013.

Long story short, he (2017) doesn't remember which one came from driver side and passenger side.

It would be appreciated if anyone with stock coilovers on a 2017 offroad could tell me the color codes so we put the correct one on each side. Thanks.

2. May 25, 2017 at 8:54 PM
    modifiedtaco

modifiedtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Vehicle:
    2016 Magnetic Gray Tacoma Limited
    Tuff Country 3 inch spacer kit with aal Tuff Counrty 1/4" spacer on LF (for taco lean) Bilstein 5160 rear shocks Bilstein 5100 adj front struts (removed tuff country front spacers) set to 0 lift OME 886 coil springs Front sway bar relocation bracket N-Fab Rock Rails 17x9 -12 Fuel Beast wheels Toyo AT2 285/70/17 tires Led light conversion on all interior lights Morimoto 35w HID kit 5500k OE all weather floor mats OE Tonneau cover OE Door Sill Protectors Bed Mat De badged all factory emblems matte black vinyl tailgate letter and Tacoma emblem on door silver vinyl insert on glove box and door sill protectors OME Carrier Bearing Drop Insain Fab cab mount chop plates Weathtech Rain guards
    If they are the stock suspension parts they are not coilovers. they are struts, coilsprings, and strut top mounts. it should not matter which side you put them on.. unless the top mount bolts don't line up then try the opposite side but I'm pretty sure they wont matter

3. May 25, 2017 at 9:00 PM
    genconex

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    San Tan Valley
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport DC LB 4X4
    -Leer shell -ImMrYo mirror bracket -OME suspension kit -1.5" Body Lift -Dirt King UCAs -Dirt King LCAs -Hypertech Speedometer Calibrator -315/17R70's on 17x9 wheels -Pelfrey aluminum front bumper -Smitty XRC 9500 winch with Warn wireless remote and incab switch -Blackoak LED lightbar -Rigid fog lights
    The colors matter. The driver side has a higher rate than the passenger side.They're marked so they're put on the correct side at the factory.

4. May 25, 2017 at 9:03 PM
    indevo

indevo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 T4R Pro
  5. May 25, 2017 at 9:09 PM
    genconex

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    San Tan Valley
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport DC LB 4X4
    Possibly the same, I'll have to look in the morning. I saw that post on the 2016s earlier. I know the codes change from time to time... How often, I'm not sure.

6. May 25, 2017 at 9:18 PM
    modifiedtaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Vehicle:
    Tuff Country 3 inch spacer kit with aal Tuff Counrty 1/4" spacer on LF (for taco lean) Bilstein 5160 rear shocks Bilstein 5100 adj front struts (removed tuff country front spacers) set to 0 lift OME 886 coil springs Front sway bar relocation bracket N-Fab Rock Rails 17x9 -12 Fuel Beast wheels Toyo AT2 285/70/17 tires Led light conversion on all interior lights Morimoto 35w HID kit 5500k OE all weather floor mats OE Tonneau cover OE Door Sill Protectors Bed Mat De badged all factory emblems matte black vinyl tailgate letter and Tacoma emblem on door silver vinyl insert on glove box and door sill protectors OME Carrier Bearing Drop Insain Fab cab mount chop plates Weathtech Rain guards
    My bad, I was not aware they used different spring rates. Is this only on the OR?

7. May 25, 2017 at 9:21 PM
    genconex

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    San Tan Valley
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport DC LB 4X4
    It's on all of them and not unique to the OR.
    I ask about the OR incase the Sport has different color codes, which has happened in the past.

8. May 25, 2017 at 9:26 PM
    genconex

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    San Tan Valley
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport DC LB 4X4
    When I glanced at them the other day the colors looked very similar for each side, but i did notice they were slightly different.
    Wish I had them in front of me instead of at his place to snap a picture.
    So, I could see you thinking they looked the same because of how close the color schemes are.

9. May 26, 2017 at 5:15 PM
    genconex

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    San Tan Valley
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport DC LB 4X4
  10. May 26, 2017 at 6:01 PM
    bilplat

bilplat Simply Driving Into Mordor

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    '17 White A/T 4x4 TRD OR DCSB
    ARE Hard Top
    When I first got my truck, I spent a while trying to determine exactly what vocabulary to use when referring to our suspension. Here's where I ended up. Please let me know if I am still misinformed.

The front suspension uses coilovers. Not struts, because if you took out the coilovers, the suspension would drop to its lowest point, but the wheels would still be firmly attached to the vehicle and steerable. Obviously you wouldn't want to do this as it could cause damage, but you could, which you technically could not do with a strut. Also, its wrong to call the whole assembly shocks because of the mounts. The top and bottom mounts, spring, and shock together comprise a coilover.

The rear suspension uses shocks and leaf springs. Replacing rear shocks does not require an alignment. You could remove them, the truck would remain at its prior level, and drive the truck. It would be a roller coaster of the ride because the damping is only coming from the leaf springs.

Last thing: Toyota assembled the left and right coilovers with different springs to account for the infamous Taco lean. Its why some companies recommend adding a 1/4" spacer or some other method to lift the driver side just a bit more if you buy a set of replacement aftermarket coilovers.

Last edited: May 26, 2017
    choupick, genconex[OP] and #4TOY4ME like this.
  11. May 26, 2017 at 11:28 PM
    modifiedtaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Vehicle:
    A strut is basically a shock with the exception that it actually supports the weight of the vehicle. it does this by using a coil spring which is mounted as an assembly. most people do not refer to this setup as a coil over. most people when talking about coilovers are referring to replacement for the factory struts which has a threaded body where the spring perch sit that can be adjusted to raise or lower vehicle, some even have adjustments for valve dampening. either way if you call a strut assembly a coilover people will know what your talking about..

If you remove the strut/coilover the wheels are still able to be attached however without anything to support the weight of the vehicle your tire would end up as high up in the fender as the vehicle will allow before laying on the ground therefore the vehicle is not drivable.

I'm not sure if you are thinking of those cheap coilover springs that can be inserted to replace the coil spring in a strut assembly or what. but that's the only way I could see a vehicle still drivable without the spring.

DSCN9740.jpg
    Camburg-2_5-inch-Coilovers-for-2005-2014-Toyota-Tacoma-CAM-310003.jpg
    untitled.jpg

12. May 26, 2017 at 11:30 PM
    modifiedtaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Vehicle:
    1st image shock and strut assembly
    2nd coilovers
    3rd cheap coilover sleeve

13. May 27, 2017 at 9:49 AM
    #4TOY4ME

#4TOY4ME Now driving #5

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Northwest Arizona
    Vehicle:
    17 MGM OR 4X4 AC
    Level 8 Mk6 16x8 0 offset , Bilstein 5100 G4 Elite Fold A Cover
    Quoting @jberry813 in Suspension forum sticky, Tacomas don't have struts.
    Every single 6 lug Tacoma since inception came from the factory with a coilover based front suspension. Yes...you have coilovers...stock. In addition, coilover does not mean adjustable. It simply means the coil spring surrounds the shock absorber and the assembly is independent of the suspension.

Robert

genconex[OP] likes this.
  14. May 27, 2017 at 10:36 AM
    modifiedtaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Vehicle:
    interesting. so what differentiates a strut assembly from a coilover assembly? is it because most struts have the spring perch towards the top of the body and have a strut rod that is surrounded by the coil?

15. May 27, 2017 at 12:08 PM
    #4TOY4ME

#4TOY4ME Now driving #5

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Northwest Arizona
    Vehicle:
    17 MGM OR 4X4 AC
    Level 8 Mk6 16x8 0 offset , Bilstein 5100 G4 Elite Fold A Cover
    Look this up in Suspension forum, good explanation.

Robert

16. May 27, 2017 at 2:11 PM
    bilplat

bilplat Simply Driving Into Mordor

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    '17 White A/T 4x4 TRD OR DCSB
    ARE Hard Top
    I didn't say drivable, just steerable.
    And coilover is short for coil spring over shock.

17. May 27, 2017 at 2:32 PM
    OH-MAN

OH-MAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Sunny Az.
    Vehicle:
    10 4X4 O.R. White
    TRD skid painted black,
    Way back in the day I had a 09 sport 2 wheel dr. Then got a 10 OR 4X4.
    I have helped and changed out springs many times, 30 or so is my guess.
    I tried to figure out the color codes and it seems different for each variation. Sport, OR, 2X4, 4X4, and also years seemed to change them.
    When I do them now I write on them which side and other info on them.
    I guess I have about 6 sets sitting around and have no idea which color matches what side or truck.
    Hope you get the correct answer you need.

18. Jun 2, 2017 at 7:19 PM
    genconex

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    San Tan Valley
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport DC LB 4X4
    This is what I think of when I hear the term Strut.
    On left is a strut.
    On the right is a shock.
    Coilover = Coil spring over shock.
    main-qimg-4ad312dde05a9ce933fe004f8fa1d93b-c.jpg

19. Jun 2, 2017 at 7:46 PM
    genconex

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    San Tan Valley
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport DC LB 4X4
    Moral of the story: I was not concerned with anyone calling them struts although their coilovers because I was focused on getting the information that I was asking about.

Thankfully, I have the information. Verified that they're the same color codes as the 2016.

20. Feb 16, 2020 at 1:17 PM
    Speedfreak

Speedfreak Member in poor standing

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Canada Eh!
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB 6MT, Blazing Blue Pearl
    Manual Mall Crawler
    I think of a strut as a component of a suspension that is integral to the suspension. For example, most front drive vehicles. The strut attached to the top of the knuckle and is used in place of an upper control arm. The strut can incorporate the spring and sometimes have the spring elsewhere such as Fox body Mustangs.

I would consider the Tacoma front suspension to be coil over because the shock and coil are combined in a package to support and dampen the suspension independent of the suspension itself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top