1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Question about Axle Wrap and warranty

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by followingariver, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Aug 3, 2011 at 10:27 AM
    followingariver

followingariver [OP] Member

Member:
    MA USA
    Vehicle:
    '02 Tacoma xcab TRD off-road
    I bought a 2002 xcab tacoma TRD off road w. 43Kmiles a few weeks ago and have self diagnosed axle wrap (thanks to the "search button"). After reading up, it looks like a rear leaf upgrade (or at least the leaf helper mod) are in my future.

I also bought the "Gold Warranty" for about $1100.

Is there any conceivable way to get the leaf upgrade under the warranty? As I read the warranty it only comes in to play when a part "fails" and does not cover parts that fail due to regular wear and tear and/or rust corrosion. Am I correct in my understanding of this?

The truck has spent its life in salty, wintery New England and there is not a part underneath that does not show some rust- am I right that they can point to rust and tell me "there's your problem"? Or tell me that the leafs are flat due to normal wear and tear?

I am still w/in the time period to cancel the warranty, put that money towards the loan, buy leafs and learn how to put them in. Should I go that route?

Any advice appreciated. I tried to search. read other threads etc. before posting, but if I broke any commandments I apologize.

2. Aug 3, 2011 at 10:35 AM
    KBToyota

KBToyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kurt
    Spotsy, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma V6 4X4
    OME 883, 5100 all around, Wheelers 3 leaf progressive aal
    The truck is 10 years old, I doubt the warrenty will cover it since they are still in working order... like you said they are just going to say that its from normal wear.
    The best bet would be to save up few hundred dollars and buy new ones and then met up with some fellow Tacoma World members in your area and install them.
    http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/tacoleafs.htm

3. Aug 3, 2011 at 10:39 AM
    followingariver

Member:
    MA USA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks KB, that's what I'm thinking.

Whipper - the frame was replaced by previous owner, so no issues there. I wasn't thinking of a recall, just somthing that might be covered under the warranty they sold me.

4. Aug 3, 2011 at 10:44 AM
    TIPICOTACO

TIPICOTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    nw nj
    Vehicle:
    '01 DC 4X4 TRD "RAD BARON"
    Some lift, some armor, some scratches..
    If the frame was replaced I believe they should have replaced the leafs as well, mayb I'm wrong. But if they were supposed to replace them, and didn't, mayb you do have a valid bone to pick with them :notsure:

5. Aug 3, 2011 at 10:59 AM
    Space Wrangler

Space Wrangler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JCT
    Ga
    Vehicle:
    04 DC 4x4
    04 Tacoma 4x4 Double Cab SAW 2.0's Alcan's Ion 171 wheels 15x8 (-27mm bs) 32" BFG AT's
    on a first gen, brand new factory leafs will still give you axle wrap.

6. Aug 3, 2011 at 11:31 AM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    96.5 FrankenTaco & 03 Stock dbl cab
    BFG KM2 33x12.5 tires, Wheelers Type B rims, Allpro 1.5'' Wheel spacers w/extended thread lug nuts 2 Alpine 10'' Type Xs 2 Kicker 6X9s 4 Sony 5 1/4s Pioneer 4100 HU Sway bar removed 4 Hella 500 HIDs Frankenstein Leaf packs 1'' lift shackles Eibach coils 5100s front 10'' 5150s rear BAMF BPV bracket Deckplate mod Elite Front bumper Magnaflow 14'' muffler Elite Off Road Rear bumper with Tire gate with jerry can and fold down table, BAMF sliders, Custom Homemade Bed, rack/roof rack, CVT Mt. Shasta Roof Top Tent, 20lb CO2 tank, BAMF diff skid custom front skid, GM CS144 140 amp alternator Blitzpro 21s HAWK side LEDs Blitzpro Custom made side mirror lights, LightForce 240 Blitz llights, Piaa 510 ION fogs, XRC8 Winch w/in cab controls,
    get some Wheelers, or Alcan or Deaver. Or go big and get Allpros :p

7. Aug 3, 2011 at 1:17 PM
    followingariver

Member:
    MA USA
    Vehicle:
    Tipico,

I will look in to that, don't know if it will make a difference in the wrap, but can't hurt.

With the warranty, I know it is a personal choice, but does anyone have input into whether I am likely to get $1400 in repairs done under warranty. The warranty takes me to 2016 or 103K miles. Since I financed the final price will be about $1400.

I know this is well worn territory, but I would love to get opinions on whether I should cancel and get my money put towards the loan.

To Top