1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Question about buying

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Phish, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Feb 24, 2012 at 10:08 AM
    Phish

Phish [OP] New Member

Member:
    I am looking to buy a 4x4 tacoma between the years of 2000-2003. I have around 8000 in cash that i am looking to spend on one. I am having trouble finding anything in that price range with less than 150,000 miles on it. If i do end up buying one with 130,000-150,000 miles on it what kind of maintenance should i be prepared to do to it. In other words what is most likely to go wrong with it in the near future? Also should is there any major draw backs going with the 4 cylinder than the 6. Id rather the 6 but i think i will find a better priced truck with the 4. Any help here would be greatly appreciated as my car blew up yesterday and i need a vehicle asap.

2. Feb 24, 2012 at 11:29 AM
    Trifenix

Trifenix Well-Known Member

Member:
    so cal
    Vehicle:
    99 LT 5 lug Taco
    Get the v6.

3. Feb 24, 2012 at 12:25 PM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    03 GMC Sierra
    I wouldn't hesitate too much as long as it appears to be well taken care of. Ask the owner for maintenance records. The only major thing they need is timing belts and that's only the V6. I believe it should be done every 90,000. These are also prone to frame rust, and from your description you're right in a problem area. Check to see if it has been inspected for the frame rust warranty (more info about that can be found searching here and on google). Other than that, there's not much to worry about. These little trucks go forever.

4. Feb 24, 2012 at 2:24 PM
    Robertgeejr1

Robertgeejr1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
    I have done all the hi-pro mods for a life time, since I got this truck at a great price, I will be happy with showroom new.
    Hi, man it took me almost 7 months of hunting to find the right truck for me.
    Here in the heart of rust belt, you dont see alot of older toyota's around, and they are pricy.
    Be cautious, sorry but don't use craigslist. Look on ebay for a solid seller or dealer, they are out there, and look south! mine came from texas and the frame is perfect. I think i read some where that toyota ended up buying back almost 800,000 tacomas total... but whatever the number that is just that much fewer in the road.
    but they also hold there value. to a carfax, and be careful, I mean about the rust, hell you dont see alot of older pre1997 f15's around, and if you do they are missing wheelwells, bed, fenders.....I hose mine off after every snow.

5. Feb 24, 2012 at 2:27 PM
    scotrinaf

scotrinaf Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Blountville, TN
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner TRD SR5 4x2 2.7L
    Leer 100XQ, Yakima Roof Racks
    www.autotrader.com is where i found mine, it was about 2 hours away, so I just rented a car one way and drove it back. :)

6. Feb 26, 2012 at 5:26 PM
    dark tangent

dark tangent Well-Known Member

Member:
    Madison, WI
    Rigid Dually D2 Amber Driving LEDs mounted on CBI Offroad ditch light brackets.
    It took me a while to find '95 Xtracab SR5, V6, 4x4. I saw a bunch with rust-galore, but knowing the frame rust issue I wouldn't touch any of those. I finally went with my Tacoma that had 249,000, but ZERO rust, and I couldn't be happier. The engine ran strong and also had tons of maintence records so I didn't care about the miles.

I'm also glad I went with the V6. Sometimes I wish it had a V8 though. :)

I'd recommend not caring one bit about miles, and get one with a solid frame, body, and well working parts. These engines will run forever if they are taken care of. Good luck finding your truck.

To Top