1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Question about cracks

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Squid, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Jul 19, 2010 at 3:16 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    As long as it doesn't impair your vision, you can drive with a crack all the way across. Hell in Colorado we lead the nation in cracked windshields. Everybody drives with cracked windshields.

2. Jul 19, 2010 at 3:38 PM
    JasoTaco

JasoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    ToyTec Ultimate 3" Lift -TSB Rear springs - TRD Cold Air Intake - TRD Skid Plate - Total Chaos Upper Control Arms - 2 Hella Rallye 4000 lights (130W Bulbs) - Clear Bra - Under Coat - Bed extener - Toyota Bed Mat - Weathertech floor mats - Tailgate hose clamp & washer mod - PIAA Fog Lights - ScanGauge II - Beefed Sliders - Differential Breather Mod - Heated Seats - All-Pro Bumper - Warn M8000 Winch with wireless controls - Boztec Diff Skid - ATO skids
    I wouldn't have my insurance pay for it if I were you. It's goes on you record as a claim it doesn't matter if it's $50 or $5,000 in the future they could increase your premiums and make it very difficult for you if you shop around another issuance company. Other insurance companies won't pick you up or give you decent rates if you have any claims.

A windshield form me IMO is definitely not worth making a claim on the insurance. My AMFAM agent gave me the honest lowdown on it and basically said it's scam that insurance companies use to keep you locked with them.

3. Jul 19, 2010 at 3:50 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Umm...that would depend on your insurance company.

Let's see....In the gazillion years I've been with my insurance company, I've had two windshields replaced (never paid a penny), I've been in a couple accidents (never my fault) AND I actually got a nice sum of money from my insurance company (via a lawyer). My rates haven't gone up. :D My service with them hasn't changed at all. And why I've stayed with them. Aside from that, I actually get perfect driver rates!!!

4. Jul 19, 2010 at 9:43 PM
    black_magic2010

black_magic2010 Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    10 Tacoma TRD Sport DBL Cab
    When I bought my truck I bought this windshield protection plan. Low and behold 3 months later i get two cracks running next to each other. I called the number for the windshield protection, they answered on a Saturday ( I was shocked) I described the cracks to the rep. the guy quickly set up an apointment with Safelite and I got the windshield replaced on tuesday. I was amazed with the customer service. I didn't pay a cent at Safelite. Now I know I did buy that protection plan (cheap insurance), so you bet your a$$ that next time I get a crack that I'm going to have the windshield replaced. I need to get my money's worth :D

5. Jul 20, 2010 at 6:17 AM
    81shark

81shark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Base Access CP1

i could have started a new one, but we always get yelled at for not using the search function :D

i must not have glass on my insurance, since it would have fallen under my regular policy and i would have to pay the deductable. obviously, my deductable is higher than $200.

It's also my first crack in any car. bummer.

6. Jul 20, 2010 at 8:49 AM
    SCFirefighter

SCFirefighter on idiot patrol ;)

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2010 DC TRD Sport 4x4 5'
    MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust, ScanGauge II, Map, dome and license plate LED's, Custom Fire/Rescue decals, Weathertech deflectors, Removed mud flaps, Rear spring TSB, Spidertrax spacers, Tinted windows (5%/27%), Black Tacoma badges, 5100 Billstein x4, ToyTec Coilovers, ToyTec TSB AAL, Devil horns, Hose clamp tailgate mod, OEM bed mat, HomeLink module, Hardwire GPS, Weathertech digital fit floor lines, Front Diff drop, Rear Diff breather mod, 4xInnovation welded sliders, Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS+SiriusXM.
    I didn't know glass was included. If you haven't called yet, just ask your agent. If you've been with them for years you can use that as leverage.

7. Jul 20, 2010 at 9:40 AM
    81shark

81shark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Base Access CP1
    i called my insurance company. not a big deal, it was only 2 bills. first time in 18 years of drving that i've had an issue.

edit....from my insurance company website. i never saw the chip. such is life.

Most windshield repair shops can fix up to quarter-sized rock chips and cracks as long as 3 inches. Since repairs are cheaper than replacements, Erie Insurance will waive the deductible and pay for the repair. If a replacement is needed, the deductible must be paid.

Products Discussed in

To Top