1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

question about retractable tonneau covers

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by r0ss, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Jan 20, 2012 at 9:11 PM
    r0ss

r0ss [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    SFO > LAX > AUG > ATL
    Hey all,

I just picked up a 2002 tacoma and i am debating weather or not to get a retractable tonneau cover. My first question is, has anyone installed one of these on their truck? and my second question is, how much of the bed is taken up by the cover when it is fully retracted?

I bought this truck primarily to haul my dirt bike around, but it would be nice to have the option to close the bed up.

Thanks!

2. Jan 20, 2012 at 9:19 PM
    pegcitytacoma

pegcitytacoma TRD OFROAD

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Winnipeg Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD OFFROAD AC MGM
    At bfg's 265/75/16, color matched leer topper with Thule roof rack
    I have an 2003 4x4 xtra cab with a retrax roll up cover but it was off a gmc canyon I modded it to fit because it's a sweet cover and I was getting it cheap as to hauling a dirt bike around I don't think it would fit very well and the roll up part covers up the two tie down hooks in the front of the bed and the part where it rolls up is big. Also because our boxes aren't that deep you can't fit tall things into the bed ie: 5 gal pail, cooler

3. Jan 21, 2012 at 5:54 AM
    magog45

magog45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada, just south of Santa
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma 4x4 extended cab
    5100's all around, 2.75 inch lift, polyurethane body mounts, gibson exhaust, variation of the deckplate mod, intake resonators removed 285-75-16 goodyear AT
    I had a rollup and sold it, like peg said the box it rolls into takes up quite a bit of room and you lose height. Right now I have a topper installed but it comes off in the spring. On my old 71 chev I just cut 2 pieces of plywood to cover the box and had the one at the bad fold on top of the front one when I needed to haul something big or take it right off, a 5 minute job. You can finish the plywood anyway you want too.

Products Discussed in

To Top