1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Question about skid plate

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by dmb72, May 13, 2011.

1. May 13, 2011 at 2:53 PM
    dmb72

dmb72 [OP] post count low - toyota truck count #6

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Oxnard Shores, CA
    Vehicle:
    TRD 4x4 De Badged
    Tires, De-Badged, Dyno Lock, Tonno Pro Tri-Fold
    This may sound dumb, so bare with me. I was given a brand new Toyota OEM skid plate for my 2010 taco. Problem is, it is a aluminum finish with a whitish powder coat on it. I had thought it was stainless steel which is what I wanted...but I'm not complaining to them because, like I said, they gave it to me & I think it retails for $200. So I want what I really want but I'm being told (I called 4wheelparts.com) that it doesn't exist (they say the pro comp one must have a 6" lift?). I don't have a lift on my truck, just a taco, dble cab, 4x4 with trd. Does a stainless steel skid plate exist? I swear I've seen it, but maybe I'm wrong? I just know with everything I've gotten off this site, someone will have the answer. I don't want pull bars, just a skid plate where the OEM skid plate would go but in a stainless steel finish.

Thanks!

2. May 13, 2011 at 7:40 PM
    MarineTacoDriver

MarineTacoDriver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Cherry Point
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4
    ARB front bumper, Warn M8000, ATO front/transmission/transfer case skids, Icon ext travel coilovers, Total Chaos UCA's, OME Dakar leaf springs, Bilstein/RCD 5100 3-4" lift shock, extended stainless brake lines, DrewFab shackle flip, rear ARB Airlocker, ARB air compressor
    Probably won't find one better matching than the TRD for what you want. Most skid plates are designed to take hits and well, skid across something. Therefore, they are usually just spray painted black to make touch up easy.

3. May 13, 2011 at 7:54 PM
    doubletaco

doubletaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    16 Quicksand TRD O/R 4x4
    TRD FJ Wheels, LED Fog lights
  4. May 13, 2011 at 8:24 PM
    rbeezy

rbeezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma SR5
    PM MetalMiller. he's a member on here and makes skid plates

5. May 15, 2011 at 8:17 AM
    dmb72

dmb72 [OP] post count low - toyota truck count #6

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Oxnard Shores, CA
    Vehicle:
    TRD 4x4 De Badged
    Tires, De-Badged, Dyno Lock, Tonno Pro Tri-Fold
    Thanks for the info. I checked out Metal-Miller...his stuff is bad ass. I don't want to spend that much though. If I had the time, I would try doing the link doubletaco posted. But that looks like A LOT of work. At this point, I'm leaning towards going with the freebie. I will see how it looks & maybe paint it black if I don't like it. I only use this truck for a short weekly commute (16mi) & so-cal to mammoth all winter long without me EVER having to get out & put chains on...and it performs those simple tasks to perfection. Thanks again for the info.

To Top