1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Question about the TRD Off Road's locking diff

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by HonoluluTaco, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Apr 17, 2012 at 9:12 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    The OP stated he likes the scoop , and colour matched body appointments , whether or not you like them is probably of little consequence to his decision .

I bought a Sport over the Offroad because I wanted a DCLB , it better suited my needs

2. Apr 17, 2012 at 9:14 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    This ^^^^^

3. Apr 18, 2012 at 6:04 AM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    I am not big on "fake anything", well except for a few cosmetic options that come in pairs for women. :D Function over Form any day. I would never buy the Tacoma because of the "hood scoop" thats only there for looks. But it does look good, and so does the color keyed items. To each his own. Many guys here that aren't color keyed either want to or have gone to the color keyed look. You like the Sport, so get it and add the ARB locker as mentioned if you feel need it down the road. You will probably never look back...:cool:

4. Apr 18, 2012 at 7:17 AM
    Grundletaint

Grundletaint Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    2012 crewmax tundra 4x4
    Debadged, derped, weathertech visors, antennax, tinted, need more money
    How often will you be looking at your truck?

How often will you need a locking diff.?

Yellow wire mod.

I love my sport.

5. Apr 18, 2012 at 7:27 AM
    andrew8404

andrew8404 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ANDREW
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB TRD OR 4x4 (Sold) 19 Ford Ranger Sport XLT 4x4
    Don't forget about Atrac on the offroads! :)

6. Apr 18, 2012 at 9:31 AM
    HonoluluTaco

HonoluluTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Koi
    Reston Virginia
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD 4x4 OffRoad DC/SB
    2010 TRD OffRoad DC/SB, 285/70/17 KM2's, Mickey Thompson Classic Locks, Total Chaos UCA's King 2.5 RR Coilover 3" AllPro Leaf Pack, 2.0 Fox RR, Ubolt flip kit, MBRP dual cat back, URD TCAI and MAF Calibrator, TRD Sport Hood w/ scoop, E&G Classics Custom Stainless Grill, Color matched grill and door handles WeatherTech floor mats, FormulaOne Pinacle 15%+Air blue windshield Tint, RedLine hood struts, TRD 3rd Brake light Decal, Relentless Fab Hybrid 2 piece Sliders with Kick out Relentless Fab Aluminum Front bumper, Relentless steel rear bumper, Relentless Steel IFS B.A.M.F LCA Skids, w/ Rear Diff Skid ordered In my Spare room waiting to be installed sits, Wet Okoles, Illuminated 4x4 switch mod, SockMonkey Hawaii TRD OffRoad Decal, Big box of Rammat, Speakers and Custom Sub from Mr.Marv,
    Sweet thanks guys, very good points. The Off Roads are much easier to find then a white cc/sb 4x4 sport. In hawaii we have a ton of prerunners, so I'll start checking the Junk yard and grab a hood and mirrors. I've got a few months left for my armor from Eric (Relentless Fab). So the color matching bumpers are inconsequential, and I get my locker.
    I know the hood scoop is completely for looks, but it really makes the Tacoma look good.

7. Apr 18, 2012 at 9:46 AM
    mbrogz3000

mbrogz3000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2020 Toyota 4Runner Limited
    Sport comes with 17" dubs with more street oriented rubber vs. the Off Road's 16".

Basically the top features between the Sport Vs. Offroad: Hood scoop vs no hood scoop, no rear differential locker vs. one factory installed, color coded mirrors/door handles vs. black (which you can apply dashboard dressing to), Chrome bumper/grill vs. color keyed, 17" wheels vs. 16" wheels.

Its confusing to key in on whether the shocks, and springs for that matter, are the same or different, and if they are different which are stiffer or softer. If your swapping stuff out immediately, it shouldn't matter.

8. Apr 18, 2012 at 10:06 AM
    Nubes

Nubes Toyota Addict

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2023 Red T4R ORP
    Believe the shocks are the same but one has linear coils and one has progressive, but forgot which one has what lol...

9. Apr 18, 2012 at 3:15 PM
    HonoluluTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Koi
    Reston Virginia
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD 4x4 OffRoad DC/SB
    2010 TRD OffRoad DC/SB, 285/70/17 KM2's, Mickey Thompson Classic Locks, Total Chaos UCA's King 2.5 RR Coilover 3" AllPro Leaf Pack, 2.0 Fox RR, Ubolt flip kit, MBRP dual cat back, URD TCAI and MAF Calibrator, TRD Sport Hood w/ scoop, E&G Classics Custom Stainless Grill, Color matched grill and door handles WeatherTech floor mats, FormulaOne Pinacle 15%+Air blue windshield Tint, RedLine hood struts, TRD 3rd Brake light Decal, Relentless Fab Hybrid 2 piece Sliders with Kick out Relentless Fab Aluminum Front bumper, Relentless steel rear bumper, Relentless Steel IFS B.A.M.F LCA Skids, w/ Rear Diff Skid ordered In my Spare room waiting to be installed sits, Wet Okoles, Illuminated 4x4 switch mod, SockMonkey Hawaii TRD OffRoad Decal, Big box of Rammat, Speakers and Custom Sub from Mr.Marv,
    Yeah I'll be going to a king coilover and new leaf pack and in the rear so the suspension is also gonna be irrelevant.
    I just jumped on that Wet okole group buy for my current TRD Sport, are the TRD Off Road seats the same as the TRD sport seats? Don't want to throw away $500. Havent even gotten them yet.

10. May 11, 2012 at 11:52 AM
    HonoluluTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Koi
    Reston Virginia
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD 4x4 OffRoad DC/SB
    Thanks for everybody's input, I bought a 2010 TRD OffRoad 4x4 and when I sold my 2007 TRD Sport PreRunner made it a stipulation in the bill of sale that the guy switches hoods with me. Now I'm in search of color coded mirors and handles at our junk yards.
    Who says I can't have my Keg and drink it too...

My build begins on May 25 when I get my 2010 off the Matson ship.
    Will be doing a build page once I figure that out....
    Aloha and thanks again for your input...

11. May 12, 2012 at 8:44 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    wut

12. May 12, 2012 at 3:59 PM
    michaelg589

michaelg589 Well-Known Member

Member:
    TRD Sport 4x4:
    Color matched mirrors, door handles, grille surround, and rear bumper
    Hood scoop (non-functional)
    17" alloy wheels (18s are now an option for 2012 I believe)
    "Sport Tuned" suspension with linear rate coils and sport tuned Bilstein shocks
    Limited slip rear differential
    Available as a Extended Cab/Long bed, Double Cab/Short bed, and Double Cab/long bed.

TRD Off-Road 4x4:
    Chrome grille surround and rear bumper
    Black mirrors and door handles
    16" alloy wheels
    "Off-Road tuned" suspension with progressive rate coils and off-road tuned Bilstein shocks
    Electronic locking rear differential
    Available as a Extended cab/Long bed and Double Cab/Short bed

A-Trak was introduced in 09 I think which, I've read, works very well. Some have said they hardly needed to use 4x4 in most situations.

IMO the Sport is the nicer truck. But I wanted the locking diff. at the time. If I bought another, it would probably be a Sport. The locking differential can only be used in 4 Low. The Sport's limited slip differential always works.

13. May 12, 2012 at 5:05 PM
    HonoluluTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Koi
    Reston Virginia
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD 4x4 OffRoad DC/SB
    Like I mentioned earlier, I'm doing my dream truck build so I wanted the OffRoad transmission options with the Sport look. So I bought the OffRoad and am putting a the scooped hood from my Sport PreRunner I just sold (made it a stipulation of the sale) and am looking for color matched grill and mirrors, might just paint them myself. I don't have to worry about the rear bumper because I ordered one from Relentless Fab. Suspension and tires on either of the packages didn't matter because I'm upgrading to king coil overs and all pro 3" leaf pack with fox in the rear.
    You mentioned 09 OffRoads got the A-Trac, Another change they made in 09 and higher vehicles was the back up camera. Stoked to get that, for the rare chance my girl drives(usually as a DD), so she doesn't hit shit, she hit a tree with my 07 PreRunner.

14. May 17, 2012 at 7:38 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    You got a 2wd ?

15. May 17, 2012 at 8:34 PM
    HonoluluTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Koi
    Reston Virginia
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD 4x4 OffRoad DC/SB
    :notsure:
    Had a 2x4, now got a 2010 4x4 OffRoad

16. May 17, 2012 at 8:37 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Sorry , I should have quoted , I meant AndeyHall

17. May 17, 2012 at 8:38 PM
    HonoluluTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Koi
    Reston Virginia
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD 4x4 OffRoad DC/SB
    cool i was a little confused

18. May 17, 2012 at 8:41 PM
    HonoluluTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Koi
    Reston Virginia
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD 4x4 OffRoad DC/SB
    Yeah it seems like he has a 2x4, i wish everyone would post vehicle stats in their Bio, I actually like reading what other people have done to their rigs. And it gives a little insight to who they are.

19. May 17, 2012 at 8:42 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Makes it easier

20. May 17, 2012 at 10:35 PM
    transplant

transplant resident know-nothing

Member:
    First Name:
    theo
    Crestline, Ca
    Vehicle:
    89 sr5, 99 OR, 11sport, 14 offroad
    or has the smaller diff than the sport, right? so, get the sport, install a locker.. =stronger than stock TRD OR

Products Discussed in

To Top