1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Question about TSBs and new trucks

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Steve0ct, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Feb 3, 2012 at 6:11 AM
    Steve0ct

Steve0ct [OP] Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport LB
    Hello,

I purchased a new 2011 TRD Sport Double Cab approximately 3 weeks ago.

A few days after I got the truck I noticed the exhaust seemed loud to me, like the exhaust leak a lot of people post about. I brought it back to the dealer and took a tech for a ride. He said it was normal, all Tacomas sound that way.

A week later I still wasn't happy so I went back to the dealer and took another 2011 for a ride. That truck sounded the same to me.

In the mean time I contact Toyota Corporate looking for a regional rep. to take a listen to the truck. They referred me back to the dealer. This time the dealer gave me an answer that seemed a little off. They told me my truck is loud because the 4.0L V6 is a big engine and it's going to be loud. Plus, it's a truck and sits higher off the ground than a car, so I'm hearing the noise more.

That explanation doesn't sit right with me. I traded in a 2005 GMC Canyon with 161,000 miles on it and it was quieter than the Tacoma.

I have also noticed that I have the blower tick when the blower is on low or one notch higher. If it's on high there's no tick.

My question is....if there have been TSBs in the past for different problems/conditions on a truck are those addressed in the next model year of the truck or are they only fixed on a case by case basis. I'm wondering if my truck hasn't been touched and needs the manifold and fan blower TSBs addressed.

I would hope that Toyota would fix issues as they come up so they don't get carried over year to year.

Any insight or help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Steve

2. Feb 3, 2012 at 6:20 AM
    Rusty 06 4x4

Rusty 06 4x4 NBHNC

Member:
    First Name:
    Rusty
    West Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2006 4x4 Tacoma TRD DCSB
    can you make a video of the sound maybe we can help you out some more with that

3. Feb 3, 2012 at 6:26 AM
    Steve0ct

Steve0ct [OP] Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport LB
    Thanks for the reply.

I won't be able to make a video of the exhaust noise. It makes the noise when I'm accelerating/driving. It doesn't do it at idle or if I rev the engine when it's parked or in neutral.

Thanks again.

4. Feb 3, 2012 at 6:30 AM
    Gabe911

Gabe911 Well-Known Member

Member:
    FLORIDA
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner MGM
    Debadged, Rear TSB, Blue LED dome and Bright White Map Lights, Hard Top Tonneau Cover, OME885 coils (no top plate spacers)OME shocks and struts, 1.5" AAL for TSB Rear,285/70/17 Trail Grapplers, 17x9 XD Addicts with 4.5 bs, Black 4" exhaust tip, Bed pocket lights, rear diff breather Mod
    Did you buy the truck used?? I've been on plenty lots where the original owner changed out the muffler, debadged the truck, air bags etc. Alot of times the sales people don't know about the changes...I am sure you have gotten under the truck to see if the muffler is an aftermarket like (Borla, magnaflow, wicked flow etc) if not check it out.... Tacoma's are known for a loud engine fan also...just my guess without hearing the noise...goodluck

5. Feb 3, 2012 at 6:33 AM
    Steve0ct

Steve0ct [OP] Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport LB
    Thanks Gabe.

I bought the truck brand new. It had 17 miles on it.

-Steve

6. Feb 3, 2012 at 6:45 AM
    Gabe911

Gabe911 Well-Known Member

Member:
    FLORIDA
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner MGM
    Debadged, Rear TSB, Blue LED dome and Bright White Map Lights, Hard Top Tonneau Cover, OME885 coils (no top plate spacers)OME shocks and struts, 1.5" AAL for TSB Rear,285/70/17 Trail Grapplers, 17x9 XD Addicts with 4.5 bs, Black 4" exhaust tip, Bed pocket lights, rear diff breather Mod
    Ok...then scratch the above...that was my experience when buying my 2010 a month ago. Maybe try a different TOYOTA dealer...some are better than others...good luck

To Top