1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

question about URD intake

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by hirshy30, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Feb 6, 2009 at 7:21 PM
    hirshy30

hirshy30 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    MATT
    scottsdale, arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 4x4
    urd cai flowmaster 50 series dual bhlm floor mats t-rex chrome mesh grille 3" Revtek lift kit 33" Nitto Terra Grapplers 20" BMF S.O.T.A.
    i am looking at getting an intake for my 07 tacoma prerunner double cab 4x4 and i hear urd's or trd's are the ones to get. is the main difference that the trd one gets the air from the wheel well and the urd one gets it from outside air pulled in through the grille. which one would u get?

also, does rain ruin the urd one? can u still drive/park in the rain and have no damage to the intake?

thanks taco brothas.

2. Feb 6, 2009 at 7:23 PM
    ZonKs

ZonKs Can speak french in Russian.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Sport DCSB 4x4
    =p
    I have the URD and yes I think the fundamental difference is that the URD takes in air from in front of the radiator. As far as the rain goes, ive drivin mine in heavy heavy rains and through massive puddles on the freeway (this morning as a matter of fact) that completely soaked my entire front end. No problem at all.

[​IMG]

3. Feb 6, 2009 at 7:23 PM
    SocalMan22

SocalMan22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve-0
    So*Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    What Mods!
    Tacoskim has the urd intake and has no probs but some members have had water issues the intake sucking up water with the urd you have to do some cutting but with the trd its just bolt on so for me it would be trd.

4. Feb 6, 2009 at 7:35 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    URD is the only one I've seen a dyno sheet for. If you're looking for power, I would go with that. However, I personally wouldn't want the filter hanging out front like that but that's just me. But if I felt that an aftermarket intake was worth putting on these trucks, I'd probably go URD.

5. Feb 6, 2009 at 7:37 PM
    roxspin72

roxspin72 Enjoying my addiction

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue, TRD, 4X4,
    Oh Yeah!!!
    I am all for URD products. But went this route for versatality:
    [​IMG]

Also gets from front of radiator via Ram scoop. Scoop can be removed and port capped off for messy offroading dealing with H2O...

Temps I tracked via this thread:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/performance-tuning/20040-whats-ur-intake-temp.html

URD Awesome for road and mild offraod. Dyno proven. Need to extend MAF wires, and cut some metal to install.

Volant is versatile, gets cooler air to motor about even with URD. Not Dyno proven, a good $100 more depending on sales. Can buy w/o Ram, but intake temps may vary...

6. Feb 6, 2009 at 7:43 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    ^Volant makes a great product. Had one on my Explorer. The addition of the scoop is a great idea.

Products Discussed in

To Top