1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Question about winching and aluminum bumpers

Discussion in 'Recovery' started by arrakis429, Sep 13, 2020.

1. Sep 13, 2020 at 4:14 PM
    arrakis429

arrakis429 [OP] Waiting for the Mets to repeat 1986

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Springfield, OR
    Vehicle:
    2016 Quicksand TRD Sport ACLB 3.5L 6MT (OVTuned)
    Fuel Mavericks w/ Falken Wildpeak AT3W 285/70/17 Leer 100 Topper + Prinsu Cabrack Cali raised Bed stiffeners RCI Sliders RCI skids Bilstein 6112 Front 5/4 w/ Eibach 700lb Coils SPC LR UCA's Bilstein 5160 Rear OME Dakar HD Leafs Wheeler's UBolt Flip w/ Bumpstops N2 Designs MT remote starter OVTuned ARB Awning w/ Windbreak and Deluxe 'Room' SpartanXCustoms Amber Scoop light Pelfreybilt Aluminum Front Plate Bumper w/ CaliRaised 32” light bar and Baja Designs Amber Squadrons Wide Cornering Warn Zeon 10s Platinum Winch 2Lo Mod URD Stage 3 Clutch with Heavy flywheel Accumulator delete mod TacoGarage Dash Multimount Warfab Phantom Rear Bumper OVTune Dump tubes
    I purchased an aluminum bumper not too long ago - about to get it powder coated and mount it to the Tacoma. I have had a winch for it for some time, waiting for the appropriate bumper to mount it up.

I found myself perusing the BAMF website and found the front bumper reinforcement brackets, and how they can avoid twisting the frame horns where front bumpers mount. The front bumper I has came with welded steel mounting brackets but they do not look as burly as the BAMF reinforcement brackets. So I emailed BAMF and they were nice enough to get back to me pretty quickly, here is what they said,

"Our brackets are lightyears ahead of the Pelfferd brackets. I would toss thiers and add ours for sure if it was me. But the bumper itself will most likely still rip or crack on a hard pull being aluminum."

So that got me thinking about what I endeavoring to do here.. I definitely end up in situations where I would use the winch. I have used a come-along and a high lift jack previously. I do a lot of whitewater rafting and end up on a lot of muddy, snowy, nasty roads in the middle of nowhere. My friends and I keep our vehicles in good condition but sometimes shit happens. Also, we sometimes use the winches for fully loaded boats on steep put ins and take outs. Is it a huge mistake using an aluminum bumper? I haven't read of any ripped, split, cracked, or torn aluminum bumpers from winching but this is BAMF after all I assume they know what they are talking about. Any thoughts on this?

Could this be remedied by using a couple of snatch blocks to give some mechanical advantage?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

2. Sep 14, 2020 at 6:55 AM
    BlindingWhiteTac.

BlindingWhiteTac. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 LQ4 4L80E
    Just the essentials and no extra fluff.
    I think it will be fine. A double line pull is great, but doing some ground prep is key. Instead of just hooking up and ripping the truck from a mud hole, do a little digging first.

Key-Rei likes this.
  3. Sep 14, 2020 at 7:05 AM
    amudie

amudie Veteran Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD-OR DCLB
    AluCab Canopy SSO Slimline Hybrid Bumper w/ 10k winch and 20" Hiese light bar.
    The only reason I can think that BAMF would tell you that is because Al is a "softer" metal than steal. Meaning any damage to it shows itself easier. As far as strength goes, any aluminum bumper should be able to handle the loads associated with winch line pull. Where you'll see a difference in steel v. aluminum is in some sort of collision with your bumper. As long as your winch is installed properly, and is sized correctly, I wouldn't be worried. @BlindingWhiteTac. makes a good point, that with a double line pull could help you if you are worried. This halves the load seen on the winch, but then transfers the other half to where ever your dead end is (i.e. recovery point). So, it would only spread things out a little.

As long as what you're getting it from a reputable manufacturer, I would sleep easy at night.

4. Sep 14, 2020 at 7:25 AM
    JEEPNIK

JEEPNIK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Voodoo Blue TRD Sport
    Absolutely stunned that a parts manufacturer would recommend their parts over another’s.

A lot depends on what grade aluminum is used and how well it’s put together. Welds, gussets, etc.

Wyoming09 and 44-16 Taco like this.
  5. Sep 14, 2020 at 7:32 AM
    2013XSPX

2013XSPX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    GA/FL Border
    Vehicle:
    2013 XSP-X
    Pelfreybilt front/rear, RCI underneath, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu racks, SCS Brushed Copper Ray 10's, EO Sliders, Baja Designs and Rigid lights, Inca 4x4 Camper
    I have a Pelfreybilt aluminum bumper coated in Line-X. I got it used. I pulled with it once and the guy who owned it before me pulled with it a few times (Smittybilt X20 10,000). I agree that prep work is key and you shouldn't have any worries.

I did just see an aluminum bumper with damage to the mounting plate posted for sale last week here. I didn't see any back story on what happened. Pelfrey had some talented welders for sure.
    AUG2020_FEF.jpg

6. Sep 14, 2020 at 10:00 AM
    arrakis429

arrakis429 [OP] Waiting for the Mets to repeat 1986

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Springfield, OR
    Vehicle:
    2016 Quicksand TRD Sport ACLB 3.5L 6MT (OVTuned)
    Fuel Mavericks w/ Falken Wildpeak AT3W 285/70/17 Leer 100 Topper + Prinsu Cabrack Cali raised Bed stiffeners RCI Sliders RCI skids Bilstein 6112 Front 5/4 w/ Eibach 700lb Coils SPC LR UCA's Bilstein 5160 Rear OME Dakar HD Leafs Wheeler's UBolt Flip w/ Bumpstops N2 Designs MT remote starter OVTuned ARB Awning w/ Windbreak and Deluxe 'Room' SpartanXCustoms Amber Scoop light Pelfreybilt Aluminum Front Plate Bumper w/ CaliRaised 32” light bar and Baja Designs Amber Squadrons Wide Cornering Warn Zeon 10s Platinum Winch 2Lo Mod URD Stage 3 Clutch with Heavy flywheel Accumulator delete mod TacoGarage Dash Multimount Warfab Phantom Rear Bumper OVTune Dump tubes
    Right on. Yeah I got an uninstalled pelfreybilt aluminum. I agree, digging and prep work is key. Not only to increase your chance of success on the first try but also to reduce wear on the components. I appreciate your responses. The welds look top notch on the bumper and I already have the gear to take advantage of different environmental aids during a recovery. BTW 2013XSPX nice rig!

2013XSPX likes this.
  7. Sep 15, 2020 at 8:59 AM
    2013XSPX

2013XSPX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    GA/FL Border
    Vehicle:
    2013 XSP-X
    Pelfreybilt front/rear, RCI underneath, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu racks, SCS Brushed Copper Ray 10's, EO Sliders, Baja Designs and Rigid lights, Inca 4x4 Camper
    Thanks man! I did a ton of research and I really think the Pelfreybilt Aluminum is such a great match for our trucks. Too bad about the company though. I Don't think you'll have any issues. Post up pics as you go! Always good to see people's builds here.

8. Sep 23, 2020 at 7:48 AM
    plurpimpin

plurpimpin Well-Known Member

Member:
    PDX
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Use a proper bumper reinforcement that ties into the sway bar mounts and you’ll be fine with aluminum. I’ve seen some bumpers (might have even been pelfry) that only mount to to the 6 studs that the crash bar mounts to. THAT would be asking for trouble. My aluminum CBI ties into the frame at several points and I have no concerns.

Also keep in mind BAMF builds some of the most overbuilt products for our trucks designed to constantly drag across rocks. For example Their skids are 1/4” thick steel! My aluminum skids have done everything I’ve needed but I’m also not dragging my truck through the rubicon trail.

For your described use aluminum will be just fine and you’ll love the weight savings.

doublethebass likes this.
  9. Oct 7, 2020 at 6:39 AM
    Hikerbox

Hikerbox Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5 Access Cab
    Claiming anything (bumper, building, bicycle, etc.) will fall apart because of material type shows the person speaking doesn't know anything about engineering and is just a fabricator. You put a load on an item - that load causes a stress. If the stress is too high, the material yields or fractures depending on what it is. So you use more material or change the shape to reduce the stress (taller I-beam for instance in a building). Aluminum is 1/3 the density of steel and typical alloys are around half the yield strength of typical steel alloys. Over simplified, you use twice the material and get a similar strength at 2/3 the weight. Apply that weight ratio to aluminum vs. steel bumpers of the same design and it will be pretty close. Aluminum is softer but you are bolting the winch down so the load is transferred through the bolt clamping force. You might want to use soft shackles to any recovery points on the aluminum bumper but that's about all i would worry about.

czotie, CmdrTrekk, Desert Dog and 2 others like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top