1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Question: Annoying Traction Control

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ShiftGear, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Feb 9, 2010 at 8:13 AM
    ShiftGear

ShiftGear [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    BC
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    Last year when we got the first snow dump (December) I went to go use my 4Hi for the first time. Let me back up though:

I used to have a 2006 Tacoma, Access Cab, TRD OFF ROAD, manual truck. I had no traction control on the model, I'm sure it had abs ect..
    anyways, i used to just flip it on 4hi and then I was able to go play in the snow if you know what I mean ie: Drifting around empty parking lots, sliding the rear end out ect..

Now I have a 2010 Tacoma, Double Cab, TRD SPORT , auto truck. When I flip it into 4hi, whenever I try and slide the truck a little (in the snow) I get a "beep beep beep" and it cuts my power. I tried pressing that switch to disable it , I forget what it's called, but no dice, still does it. What i'm trying to get at is, how do I have fun in my truck again in the snow, so I have full control of the truck with 4hi and not the computer? Thanks guys!

2. Feb 9, 2010 at 8:18 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    You Need to remove midget from under the dashboard. :confused: ?
    Also I am curious why would you switch to 10' truck, all that electronic mambo jumbo they included with new trucks is horrible.

3. Feb 9, 2010 at 8:29 AM
    05Moose

05Moose Middle-Aged Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 #8 (LSD, Tow Pkg)
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s (.85), Owned: 12/3/04 Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Switch, Washable Cabin Air Filter
    From what others have said, you can disable all that junk. Supposedly it's in the manual. Something like pressing the VSC button to turn it off, then holding it for 5 seconds??? Me? I have an '05 still, so I can have all the fun I want.:D

4. Feb 9, 2010 at 8:32 AM
    ShiftGear

Member:
    BC
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    Sadly, my truck got written off 4 months ago. I was forced to get the new 2010 model... I had maybe a year left of payments on my old baby... Not that I'm complaining at all, I just was so close to paying it off.

5. Feb 9, 2010 at 8:33 AM
    ShiftGear

Member:
    BC
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    Ok, i'm going to do a forum search for VSC :) Thanks

6. Feb 9, 2010 at 8:36 AM
    braggman7

braggman7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Athens, GA
    Vehicle:
    '10 Double Cab TRD Sport 4WD
  7. Feb 9, 2010 at 8:38 AM
    ShiftGear

Member:
    BC
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    BAH, I'm sorry guys, forum NOOOB! Next time I'm for sure going to do a search first, sorry if I wasted your time and thank you for the responses.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncleaner [​IMG]
    -2wd, default TRAC & VSC. No shinagins, keeps you in line. Buzzer, brakes, motor cuts, and caution light goes off constantly driving hard. It works.

-2wd, 1 push of VSC button. TRAC off, AUTO-LSD on, VSC on. Similar to above, but more traction, truck starts to fishtail easier, VSC cuts in to keep you in control.

-2wd, hold VSC 5 sec. AUTO-LSD on, VSC off. Hey its like my old TRD Sport, fishtailing fun, though extended hard driving, the brakes are working hard to keep the LSD going.

-4hi, Unlike the Tundra, VSC is still on, safe for control in the snow, but playing in the fields, the VSC cuts in, can it be shutoff? VSC button didn't stop it.

Overall nice truck, definately safer and really helps you stay within limits of the stock Dunlops. Much easier to control on snow than an 05-08 on the same tires. Of course, getting back into my 6spd on snow tires, obviously much more traction and realize how much fun and involving it is.

I just did a couple hours of "testing" the VSC/TRAC system on my '09 4X4.

2WD Everything on - Works really well, cuts throttle heavily at low speeds, but definatly allows some wheelspin. Seems to transfer power, but also limits it heavily at low speeds. At higher speeds, still allows a little bit of wheelspin. Example: driving along a snow covered road, a little extra throttle may not spin the wheels much, but enough for the Stability control to cut in. For many drivers, my wife included, this would save them a quick trip to the ditch or worse. It would also come in very handy on those unexpected sections of "black ice". Taking slower turns, nothing short of deliberatly pitching the truck, and not correcting, would cause any major slides.

2H AUTO LSD - I push of the VSC button, and now I can spin the tires, no throttle restriction until 2nd gear, (when TRAC automatically re-activates). Good if you need to spin your way out of some muck. Also allows sliding the ass end to do a tight U-turn. VSC seems to be fully active above 10 mph or so. Not quite as "tight" as the friction based LSD on my Dakota, but more effective in a split / MU situation. (NO traction on 1 wheel).

2H VSC OFF - Toyota Tech manual states that in this mode, VSC will still activate under braking, or if "Yaw rate is large". Meaning it is always lurking, even when turned off. I didn't notice any Traction function. Not sure what the OP experienced, because this shuts everything off, except the lurking VSC function.

4H Everything on - Full throttle starts get excellent grip. No apparent throttle intervention. VSC fully functional. This is the obvious choice for slippery conditions. Almost feels like it cuts throttle, but Toyota tach manual says no throttle intervention. Probably just transfering power, and finding grip, so the slight loss of RPM feels like throttle being cut.

4H VSC OFF - Allows small slides, seems to accelerate slower, no LSD effect. Only use I can think of for this mode is maybe in the mud, or for fooling around.

Bottom line: This truck has tires that are crappy in the snow. Without these systems, the stuff I tried today would surely have spun me out, and or put me in the ditch. A small amount of opposite lock steering was required to fully straighten the skids, but no second correction was required. This is where many skid rookies lose it, not on the first slide, but on the snap back. I never wanted my wife driving a pickup where we live, 5 months of slippery driving....After trying this stuff out, we have ordered her a Tacoma, with BFG A/T's. Amazing Technology, will surely save lives and lots of accidents. Not to mention the functional benefits of the transferring of torque. My opinion is anyone who bashes these systems, just doesn't know how to correctly use them.

To Top