1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Question for a new truck

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by BulletProofKarma, Nov 30, 2022.

1. Nov 30, 2022 at 5:37 AM
    BulletProofKarma

BulletProofKarma [OP] Member

Member:
    Hi, just got a 2023 Toyota Tacoma, loving it so far but have a few questions.

This is curiosity on my part, but how many people here opt for dealer paint protection?

I'm putting a shell on it that has a pop up camper on top and I have a battery. I would like to be able to charge the battery while driving, is it possible to run a line from the towing electrical?

This vehicle didn't come with a car alarm, the fellow at one shop told me it would take 2 days to install one because of "programming", is this true in your experience?

Thanks!!!

2. Nov 30, 2022 at 6:00 AM
    littlefish

littlefish Buzz, your girlfriend...

Member:
    Hudson Valley NY
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off-Road DCSB
    The one who dies with the most stuff wins.
    This is curiosity on my part, but how many people here opt for dealer paint protection?

Usually the consensus on that stuff from the dealer is a money making grab for the dealer, and not worth it.
    I'm putting a shell on it that has a pop up camper on top and I have a battery. I would like to be able to charge the battery while driving, is it possible to run a line from the towing electrical?
    You want to have a second battery in the bed? You're going to need better wiring from the house battery / alternator than pulling power from the towing electric. Look up dual battery setups if you're interested. Alternatively, you could run a 12V plug to the bed, and then use a PLB40 or jackery type setup.
    This vehicle didn't come with a car alarm, the fellow at one shop told me it would take 2 days to install one because of "programming", is this true in your experience?
    Can't speak to that. It probably doesn't take them two days but is probably how backed up they are currently.
    Thanks!!!

3. Nov 30, 2022 at 9:35 AM
    BulletProofKarma

Member:
    Thank you for your reply, I didn't go with the dealer paint protection, too expensive, as far as the battery I'll be using an Anker 767 with solar cells. The Anker would be the second buttery so I'll look into your suggestion of a 12v line.

On the alarm I agree that's what I thought they are backed up, but the guy stated it as though it would literally take 2 days of work to do it.
    He really didn't sound enthused about getting my business so I'll look else where.

4. Nov 30, 2022 at 9:39 AM
    littlefish

Member:
    Hudson Valley NY
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off-Road DCSB
    If you're going the Anker route just run a 12v to the bed off the battery and you'll be set.

5. Nov 30, 2022 at 10:06 AM
    BulletProofKarma

Member:
    Yeah been watching youtube vids and looking for kits to do just that, gotta admit it's a brand new 2023 and I am leery of touching anything electrical.

6. Nov 30, 2022 at 10:08 AM
    littlefish

Member:
    Hudson Valley NY
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off-Road DCSB
    Electrical isn't as scary as many make it out to be. Always use a fuse and you'll be protected. Run 10 AWG wire from the battery to a 12V Blue sea panel of your choice and drill through the bed side and mount it there. Run the wire, through a protective loom along the frame and use zip ties to secure it.

Products Discussed in

To Top