1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Question for service members.

Discussion in 'Military' started by Sheepdog, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Sheepdog

Sheepdog [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Black 2002 Tacoma Xtra Cab, 4x4, TRD, SR5
    Eibach/Bilsteins, Beefed shackles, Bushwacker Cut-Outs, Custom roll bar, TG Sliders, Elite Front Bumper, XRC8 Winch
    So I was at the NRA dinner last night and the speaker asked everyone who has served or IS serving in the United States' Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force, Coast Guard, or National guard to stand up. Immediately, a BUNCH of proud veterans and active duty service members stood up and the whole building was clapping for them. So here's my question: I'm currently enlisted In the United States Navy as a Corpsman, I've gone through MEPS and Swore in and signed my contract but I haven't gone to bood camp yet. I'm scheduled to leave October 5th. So when everyone stood up to be recognised, I hesitated and eventually decided not to because I feel that I don't rate a "thanks" because I feel that I haven't served yet. What do you guys think about that? Do I rate to stand and be recognised with all the other Veterans and Active Duty service members? Or should I wait untill I have graduated form basic?

No offense will be taken if you agree with me not rating being recognised yet, I completely understand. Hense why I haven't selected the Navy as my Military branch in my avitar.

2. ToucanV13

ToucanV13 You think I was rollin out here naked?

Member:
    San Diego and Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Infideled out TRD Sport 4X4
    285/70 Hankook AT-M, Window vents, TRD CAI, TRD Cat-back exhaust with WickedFlow can, AFE Throttle Body Spacer, Billy 5100 @ 2.5 and 1" block rear, RBP nerf bars, Halo HIDs, 20% tint up front
    Wait it out. You're not actually serving yet and getting paid for it. Soon enough doc.

3. MY50cal

MY50cal I think I'm getting the Fear.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mojo
    Coatesville, PA
    Vehicle:
    05 SWB TRD 4x4
    Yes.
    x2

but on a side note... I am very impressed with your decision at the dinner. That is respect and I thank you for that. A lot of kids would just stood right up...

4. Sheepdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Eibach/Bilsteins, Beefed shackles, Bushwacker Cut-Outs, Custom roll bar, TG Sliders, Elite Front Bumper, XRC8 Winch
    That's how I feel too. Thanks for your input!!!

5. TacomaDan

TacomaDan Don't go off ninjin

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Woodland, CA
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Tacoma Fully Not Loaded
    Love, Cobra 29 LTD BT CB w/ A2000 Highgear antenna, FOX/Fabtech Coilovers, Magnaflow
    I concur... I am in no way saying you dont deserve to be recognized but when you actually do go through basic and tech school then you will know your job and the role you are fulfilling in the military.

6. wolfman05

wolfman05 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Seattle, Washington
    Vehicle:
    05 Prerunner
    Working on it
    Not until you've given out 1000 Motrin. Don't worry you'll get the joke when your "in". And you did the right thing, but I'm standing up now saying thanks, its a hard job trust me I know. Just don't get kicked out of "A" school for some dumb shit, show up on time, and be squared away, and your rise to the top. Good luck.

:infantry::infantry::infantry::infantry::infantry::infantry::infantry::infantry:

7. Caduceus

Caduceus Well-Known Member

Member:
    the Lowcountry
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD 4x4
    I've been in that same spot. Going through college I was on a ROTC-type program, but places like Sea World consistently have vets stand. Even though I'd going through OIS I hadn't done active duty time (besides a month in 2 summers). Anyway, I figured I hadn't "done enough" at that time to merit attention.

So,kudos to you for waiting. Yeah, it's not the same til you've actually finished boot, but at least you're using your noggin!

8. rsincavage85

rsincavage85 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Plains Twp. Pa.
    Vehicle:
    Super White SR5
    Good decision, I ahve always felt once you go throught the hell of basic traing or boot camp you have earned the right.

9. cakmakli

cakmakli Finally made it - U.S. Army Retired

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    Kudos to you also for your support of the NRA. The Military isn't the only way to protect our freedom.

10. Doc.SS

Doc.SS ︻╦╤─

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Oceanside
    Vehicle:
    14 Super White TRD TX Baja
    Supercharged
    um, no you chose to do the right thing.
    While you're going through bootcamp remember how they regarded those in uniform. Never forget that they are proud of you no matter what you wear only that you are serving.

11. 05 X-Runner

05 X-Runner Murdered X

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Napa, Nor-Cal. Whine Country U.S.A
    Vehicle:
    BSP 05 X-Runner, 07 TRD Sport Super White
    HVM C/F X-Runner badge 1 of 6 made,P/C'ed black rims,Blacked out Billet Grill,BLHM,HID's,Tinted tail covers, Fog light mod,BFLM,C2C Black eyelids,,C2C 1.75" Front drop 2" rear,C2C Hoodstruts,URD Shortshifter,URD T-CAI.Custom Coupe shiftball, NST Manifold Spacer.. 07 TRD Sport Super White,De-badged,White headlight Mod,Fog light mod,White tail light mod,C2C white eyelids, C2C hood struts
    You did the right thing by not standing, good luck and thanks for serving

12. TexasToyo

TexasToyo The Gunny

Member:
    First Name:
    Alonso
    From Texas / stationed in VA Beach
    Vehicle:
    2010 4X2 Dbl Cab 4.0 V6
    X2

13. Notty

Notty Well-Known Member

Member:
    5Twenty
    Vehicle:
    08 DubCab PreRunner
    5100's @ 2.5, Rear TSB, ToyTec 1.5 AAL, 17" Incubus 511's, 285/70/17 Dueler Revo A/Ts, BHLM
    Good call. You have not served until you have completed basic, are done with your advanced training, and at your first duty station.

I know a guy here that was actually kicked out of the Army in his first week at reception, before ever even going to basic training due to medical reasons. That was about 6 months ago and he still insists he is a Veteran and feels he deserves VA benefits. Trust me when we talk about it I get pissed off more then you could know. He is not a Veteran nor will he ever be one.

14. Ry1984

Ry1984 Well-Known Member

Member:
    From Texas, Now Miami FL
    Vehicle:
    01' ExtCab SR5 2.7 4x4
    K&N FIPK, Billy 5100 all around, 881's in the front, Toytec AAL
    very good decision! usually when people find out youve served, they want to know all about it. thus in your case there would of been nothing to say lol. your on the right track though, and be ready to go through one hell of a roller coaster through basic. theres no words to describe the how proud you will feel on graduation day ;) good luck man.

15. YayAreaTaco0311

YayAreaTaco0311 Motivator

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD 4x4 O/R Supercharged
    OEM TRD supercharger, OEM wheels painted black by me, yellow sidemarkers, arb bumper, LED interiors, roll-n-lock, 5% rear windows, mudflaps removed, protector alarm, mobile trace, blacked out front Toyota emblem, debadged, & tree air freshener.
    Like others have said, you did the right thing. Your time will come. PT PT PT in the meantime!

If you have what it takes to be a Doc and get attached to a Grunt unit, I'll see you out there.

Where was the dinner at? Is it invitation only?? I would've went!

Semper Fi,

16. Agent475

Agent475 "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Hood Struts, 3" Tuff Country Lift, Shortie Antenna, WeatherTechs, Tinted front windows, custom TRD seat covers, custom pedals, debadged, custom USMC badging, quasi-functional hoodscoop (i.e. I cut it open), black front Yota emblem, Tailgate Theft-Prevention mod, Horn Relocation mod, Old Man Emu Carrier Bearing Drop, Brighter Backup Lights Mod, Smittybilt Reciever Hitch Tow Point, currently working on Satoshi Grill Mod
    You did the right thing man.

17. Sheepdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Thank you all for your input. I respect and honor ALL of you for serving, I have the utmost respect for our veterans who have put their lives on the line for my freedom... especially those who never returned. God bless you all!!!

18. Sheepdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    It was at the El Dorado County fairgrounds in Placerville, CA. The tickets were 50 buks a pop but totally worth it. Are you close to us?

To Top