1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Question for those going from SB to LB?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Jimsc, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Mar 16, 2012 at 4:51 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    Long bed, no maneuverability issues. I'm just sain'

[​IMG]

2. Mar 16, 2012 at 5:11 PM
    Bobbb

Bobbb "Rumors of Bob, but never Bob. It is Bob, right?"

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    Bob
    Tundra TRD/OR
    I've always thought of SB's as grocery haulers. Heck, even our LB's are only 6' so still can't take lumber flat with the gate up. I figure that, even though not full-size, this is a truck and having a short box is getting short-changed when it comes to utility. As to maneuverability, I'm sure you'd get used to it in no time and wonder why you ever considered otherwise. I've had my AC in some ridiculously tight desert washes and, other than dragging the hitch through the dirt a couple times and destroying my 7-pin (needed to be moved anyway because of piss-poor locating by Toyota), I'm very pleased with off-road maneuvering.

3. Mar 16, 2012 at 5:22 PM
    jackrules

jackrules Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner Double Cab SR5 TRD Sport LB
    The long bed was perfect for me. I went from a BMW to a DCLB...

Yes it's a bit harder in parking lots.. but really.. if you drive it for a week, you'll be able to park without thinking about it. I now back in everywhere though, which is kinda nice.

It is soooo much more useful than a short bed though. Wayy better for surf board / dirt bikes / hauling tables or what ever else. So many times I've been happy I got the long bed. I can fit my motorcycle in with the gate up, which is very nice when theres all the other gear loaded in there. I can comfortably put long boards (surf boards) in there without worry. I can put short boards (surf boards) in there without having to have them hang off the top of the gate. My beach cruisers fit perfectly.

Yes I'm sure you could get all this stuff into a SB.. but why worry when the LB is so simple.

4. Mar 16, 2012 at 5:22 PM
    NRXTM

NRXTM Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2011 toyota tacoma
    i wish the short bed never existed then i woudnt have to regret getting short

5. Mar 16, 2012 at 5:28 PM
    T Fades

T Fades Well-Known Member

Member:
    Simi Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner V6 2wd DCLB
    Satoshi, debadged, rear view mirror bracket, tail gate hose clamps, trimmed mud flaps.
    If you only use your truck to go offroad, then the SB is where its at. If you use your truck as a utility vehicle, the LB is a must.

6. Mar 16, 2012 at 5:37 PM
    cnew

cnew Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Goodyear AZ
    Vehicle:
    11 DC 4x4 Sport
    Had a 2010 SB traded in for the 2011 LB. At first I didn't think the SB would be an issue, guess it really wasn't an issue but the long bed is nice to have. Each time I had something that just wouldn't quite fit I would kick myself.
    Parking is not an issue, I usually back in to a spot. Or since I end up parking as far away from peeps as I can I can usually just pull through a spot to the one in front of it so I am facing out. With the camera you can stop within an inch of anything. Fun to back up when someone is sitting in the car behind you and watch them freak out when you stop just short.
    I like the looks of the long bed better than the short bed as well.
    I think with day to day use over the lifetime of the vehicle you will find many more reasons to have the LB over the SB.

7. Mar 17, 2012 at 12:49 AM
    jw1983

jw1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
    I came from a VW Golf before I got my DCLB and I love it. Yeah! It's a bit of a challenge parking. Like "jackrules" I back into parking stalls and it does make it easier. Once you get a full parking lots under your belt, you'll become a pro.

When it comes to cross winds and what not on the highway, I don't think that it makes that much of a difference. I know to me that when it's really windy I notice the truck will shake a little with cross winds(like other vehicles). Honestly though, I don't think that it's going to make that much of a difference from a SB to a LB.

Products Discussed in

To Top