1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Question for Trifecta owners - tailgate seal

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by sgtpepper, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Nov 21, 2011 at 6:09 AM
    sgtpepper

sgtpepper [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Another tonneau post, sorry folks.

How does Extang handle the difference in height between the tailgate and the side rails?

I noticed the tailgate is about a 1/2 inch lower than side rails. Does the Trifecta have a bigger seal on the tailgate end? Or does everything just compress to where there's no gap with the tg?

I'm curious how well it seals, none of the posts I've read talked about this. I'm probably just being anal. I guess for 350 bux it better seal well from the factory.

2. Nov 21, 2011 at 6:15 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DC MGM
    Stock for now
    There is a larger/different type of rubber seal at the end for the tailgate.
    There is adjustments on the sides were you can compress the rails down too. You can crank it down pretty good.
    I used my trifecta for 4+ yrs in Vermont, snow, rain, ice, on and off no issues and bought another one for my tundra.
    Automatic brushless car washes were the only time I saw any water in the bed & even that was very minor.
    Also the side hinges do not give it a taut look but I didn't mind that.

3. Nov 21, 2011 at 7:46 AM
    kb1jop

kb1jop kb1jop

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Webster, MA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Magnetic Gray Metallic SR5 Double Cab
    Factory Towing Package OEM Bed Mat Hard Tonneau Tacoma All-Weather Floor Mats
    x2 ^

Surviving MA winters just fine. Just minimal spray inside the bed from the car wash.

Note: I've been using VINYLEX [about $8] on the exterior and it works great. Doesn't wear off after a week like Armorall or Son-of-a-Gun.

4. Nov 21, 2011 at 9:14 AM
    RainDodger

RainDodger YGWYPF

Member:
    Great Northwest
    Vehicle:
    '09 Black, TRD Sport
    None yet! It's new!
    My Trifecta seals ok. It's not like there's any water aggressively pounding on that seal at the back of the truck anyway. Even if it does leak, the water would run down the inside of the tailgate and out anyway. Mine seems pretty tight.

5. Jan 20, 2012 at 2:16 PM
    upthemaiden

upthemaiden Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Pittsburgh PA
    Vehicle:
    06 Access cab SR5
    Just bought it!
    Are the brushless car washes the ones where the big arm swings around your truck and just sprays the jets of water at it? I've been afraid to try one of those with my cover on. I just have a roll up, but have a trifecta coming in the mail and was excited when I realized I could just pull my cover off to run it through a car wash. I guess you guys haven't had any issues running through them with the cover still on?

6. Jan 20, 2012 at 7:49 PM
    penguins_cc

penguins_cc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Bellevue, WA
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Mica Limo!
    Perkins Performance Sliders, Warn 9000, Brute Force Fab front & rear bumper, OME/Dakar lift, full ATO skids and hi-lift mount, satoshi, Wet Okoles, illuminated 4x4 switch, Diff Breather.

I've noticed this on my HardHat as well. Didn't bother me either as the cover still appears to be on very securely.

Products Discussed in

To Top