1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Question/Input for ALL military people??

Discussion in 'Military' started by Sbpd50816, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Nov 29, 2011 at 8:22 PM
    StaticFilter

StaticFilter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Cedar Hills, UT
    Vehicle:
    2008 Blue FJ Cruiser
    Lifted, N-Fab steps, Roof rack light bar, Grill guard, Volant Snorkel (not installed ye)
    False. My cousin is in the guard, getting shipped to Egypt soon.

2. Nov 29, 2011 at 8:30 PM
    Sbpd50816

Sbpd50816 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Corona Ca
    Vehicle:
    2012 Double Cab..Trd Sport..Metallic Grey
    Stock
    Yea Im going to check with AirForce tomorrow.

3. Nov 29, 2011 at 8:31 PM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    I retired Army in 2007 & wish you the best in what you want to do.
    Already many good suggestions in here.
    If things sound to good to be true than believe me it probably is unless you get it in writing. Yeah it probably sounds like a broken record.
    You will get looked up and down, poked, prodded, give your dna, tested for HIV, anthrax, vaccinated, given attitude, etc. etc.
    Did I say poked and prodded and no privacy?
    Again, I hope you are able to join up if it is seriously what you want to do. It was the best decision I ever made. Good luck keep us posted.

4. Nov 30, 2011 at 4:35 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    My guess is-you got a Marine recruiter who was mission complete for this period....He doesn't need/can't process any more accessions into the service.
    Your tattoos do sound like they are not in line with Marine Corps policy (as I understand it) so he's not going to go out of his way to get you waivers for that because his job is done for this 6 months/year. If you get them taken off you might get a very different response.
    The other half of that is, even is he is not mission complete, he can get mission complete with folks who do not need waivers...Much less work and a more solid bet for him. Sure..Anyone can DOR or get hurt...but requiring a waiver is an extra variable to him.

5. Nov 30, 2011 at 4:41 AM
    Warputer

Warputer Dirt Road Inspector

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Lake Murray, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road
    9" of Super Bro lift
    A guranteed duty station is only temporary and if you become a reservist/guard you still can be activated & sent overseas for long periods of time. A new wife might not like that a whole lot.

6. Nov 30, 2011 at 8:44 AM
    MrGrimm

MrGrimm Mall Crawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Dean
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2006 Toyota Tacoma 4WD w/TRD Sport Package
    See build page
    The tattoo policy for the marine corps has gotten very strict over the past few years. Even I might have to have a tattoo lasered off to put in for a warrant officer package. I rarely see students here with tattoos that are visible in a tshirt and shorts. Try another recruiter and see what they say.

7. Nov 30, 2011 at 10:17 AM
    Taco Gunner

Taco Gunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2006 Access Cab TRD Offroad
    There is NOT a good reason for that.

8. Nov 30, 2011 at 10:19 AM
    Taco Gunner

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:

Wrong. Your cousin is going TDY or deployed...NOT BASED. We all do that. BUT...he chose where he wanted to be BASED in the Guard.

I have been in the Reserves or Guard for 17 years..I know how it works.

9. Nov 30, 2011 at 11:36 AM
    greenguy3

greenguy3 BOOM goes the dynamite!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Dirty A$$ TRD
    Mud and dirt
    Hey TacoGunner, nice feet!

Nothing in the military is permanent. You change duty assignments within 2-3 years, sometimes it can be sooner, deployed at moments notice, or you can get the luck of the draw, had a E-6 at Cannon AFB in NM for nearly 14 years...but again that's luck. I've been in for over 6 years myself in the AF, 3 home bases so far and 4 deployments and 3 TDYs, the military will definitely get you well travelled if you want it. If you do get in and with knowing the AF if you find that choice base you want to stay at you have the option of BOP, extending there, but then there are also other options. Security Forces is a decent gig, but you would probably get tired of it real fast, full of a bunch of children really. I'm and operator and we spend most of the time recovering their broke vehicles. But for me the AF was the perfect choice, and good luck to you getting in and getting the job you want, and remember, get EVERYTHING in writing.

And hey, if you don't like the job you get, you can always retrain.

10. Nov 30, 2011 at 2:12 PM
    Unzapato

Unzapato Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    My 3rd Tacoma
    Blank slate - brand new!
    I was stationed at Ft Bragg from Feb '91 to Dec '05...BUT the least amount of days deployed I had in a year was 192, most was 294. :eek: I never thought to calculate how much actual total time I spent at Bragg, but it wasn't much. LOL Been in more countries than barry o...AND all "57" states. ;)

11. Nov 30, 2011 at 6:53 PM
    Taco Gunner

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Obama does not go to other countries unless there is a golf course. He has spent a total of about 8 hours..maybe..in Afghanistan since assuming office.

12. Nov 30, 2011 at 7:45 PM
    burkex5

burkex5 Zombie Killer

Member:
    First Name:
    Wesley
    Clarksville, TN
    Vehicle:
    12 DCLB 4X4
    Lost mud flaps, stickers, 2nd air filter and a couple badges. Installed Tailgate lock, window tint, 3" lift, custom CB, additional 12V plugs, Ultrgauge, redline hood struts
    OP, good luck with making a decision.
    I joined the Army at 25, married, with 3 children. Now 41, with 16 years in and still think joining was the best decision I ever made. But, to each their own.
    You need to decide what is most important to you, staying local-providing for your family-staying in LE......
    If you join any branch Active Duty, you will not stay local. You might have stability somewhere, but not where you pick, wherever you may be when they let you stay there for a while. If you join Guard/Reserves, you will have stability in your area, but you might still get a deployment overseas. Which, really depends on the type of unit you get in to and what the need is overseas for that particular unit.

I recommend reading all the advice given in this whole thread(GREENGUY). Most of it is pretty good advice. Im sure you are wise enough to know BS when you hear it. Yes, get it in writing. If its not in your contract when you sign up, it is not promised to you. Army and Navy will give you a specific job in writing before you join. Air Force and Marines can do this too, but 95% of the time they talk you into joining their Branch for the pride of their branch, not a specific job, its an "open contract."

Have you considered other options like FBI, ICE, DEA, ATFE.....and the list goes on? Most military options get you away from home for a while. Most of these other GOV agencies can keep you somewhat local for long periods of time(after the first couple of years).

Good Luck!

13. Dec 1, 2011 at 3:33 AM
    greenguy3

greenguy3 BOOM goes the dynamite!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Dirty A$$ TRD
    Mud and dirt
    Wat'd I say...I must have missed something...

14. Dec 1, 2011 at 5:50 AM
    Dave333

Dave333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Loganville
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD long bed dbl cab
    Borla Exhaust, D/T LT, TRD CAI, Hella Rallye 4000, ARB, M/T Sidebiters 16", 265/75/16, Stubbs HD SKO Sliders, OME 3" lift with 886, Dakar Rear leafs, Satoshi
    1/3 SFG. ODA 333. Nice to see another Alpo flash wearer on here.

15. Dec 2, 2011 at 8:19 AM
    TacPro45

TacPro45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Sport Double Cab Long Bed
    Weathertech Floor Liners
    I think at this point private contracting is the way to go. Plenty of different routes you can take, training being a hot commodity now. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

16. Dec 2, 2011 at 8:35 AM
    BattleStatic

BattleStatic Gluten Free

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Goodyear
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD O.R. 4x4
    OME 885's w/Nitro Chargers and Dakar rear leafs ATX AX199 Mohave I I (0 offset, 4.5" bs) BFG KM2 285 75 16 Avid Sliders w/ kickoffs Pelfreybilt rack w/ Tepui RTT Katzkin front and rear Sunroof
    That's a deployment or TDY, temporary assignment.

National Guard and Reserve units receive most of their funding from their individual state. I seriously doubt your cousin's state is sending him to Egypt to live because they want that to be his duty assignment.

Please if you do not know what you are talking about sit down.

Carry on!

17. Dec 2, 2011 at 5:12 PM
    sammy87

sammy87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    co
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD SPORT 4X4
    Learn as much about each branch as you possibly can and all the jobs you may be interested in and where those jobs may be located. If you are interested in the Guard/Reserve it can be a good deal IF you have a civilian job to go with it. It can be tough depending on the guard/reserve for a full time job.

I'll never forget the look on my buddies faces when they found out where they would be living for the next 4+ yrs. 3 of my good buddies got Clovis NM, Minot ND, and Valdosta GA. Not good places to be if you're single male, or married and your wife enjoys what big cities have to offer. The look on their faces when the douchebags in our class got Hickam, Aviano, and Eglin was priceless. That was a very rough night for a lot of people.

It can be a great opportunity to do a lot of cool things that most people will never get to do and see a lot of places that most people will never see. Not all of them have sand btw.

18. Dec 3, 2011 at 4:07 PM
    Unzapato

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    My 3rd Tacoma
    Blank slate - brand new!
    LOL I'm not talking about since he got elected!

19. Dec 3, 2011 at 4:13 PM
    Unzapato

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    My 3rd Tacoma
    Blank slate - brand new!
    Whatever you decide, just don't believe the old recruiter, "They will offer you that after basic" ploy. Make 100% sure everything you are promised is in your contract before signing or you will NOT get it. Recruiter promises are worth zilch and nobody will care when you get to Ft. XXXX when you tell them your recruiter promised you Ft. YYYY. Recruiters have quotas to make and you are just a number to them regardless how much they try to convince you they are your buddy. You can bargain with them most of the time and get on the delayed entry program to wait until there is an opening for what you want. If they can't give you something that works well for you and your family, walk away. It is mud in their face if you go as far as taking the ASVAB and do not follow through with enlistment. That puts the pressure on the recruiter to get you in and they can and will pull strings to get what you want in your contract in order to seal the deal.

20. Dec 3, 2011 at 4:30 PM
    ChewbacaTW

ChewbacaTW My progeny will be awesome!

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    02 Xtra Cab TRD off road
    K&N air intake, custom exhaust, Powerslot Brakes, urethane steering rack bushings
    Just one thing... yes the navy is downsizing but as far as I know it's being limited to the over populated rates like AB, BM and SeaBee rates. I don't think they are downsizing MA (military police)

Products Discussed in

To Top