1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

question on oil weight

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ironman_jon, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Apr 6, 2010 at 1:39 AM
    ironman_jon

ironman_jon [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner Sport
    URD TCAI Wicked Flow 18" 2 10in alpine type r 1500 watt amp MB 72 matte black Custom Bumper Debadged Glassworks fenders McNeil bedsides Helix TB Spacer Intake Manifold Spacer Custom Roof Rack 5x 55w HID SK2 projectors 55w DDM 5k Bulbs Camburg Long Travel Fox Coilovers
    Can I run 0w-30 motor oil in my truck. What are some of the pros and cons of going with 0w-30 compared to the recommended 5w-30. And does anyone really know anything about amsoil is there better/cheaper I hear a lot about RP and mobil. Need some input doing oil change thursday

2. Apr 6, 2010 at 1:43 AM
    Jap

Jap Loving this

Member:
    TRD supercharger, extractors, 7 psi pulley, Interceptor ECU
    Oil grades are recommended for a reason.
    You have to have some exceptional circumstances to change.

I see you're in Arizona,what are the weather changes like? how cold is your winter vs how hot is your summer?

3. Apr 6, 2010 at 1:44 AM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    There are about 2,000 oil threads on here. In the summer, 0w would be of no benefit. It's to assist cold motor starts to keep the viscosity higher (aka, it can flow easier). Stick to the recommend weight and you're fine all around, especially here in AZ there is NO reason for 0w.

Amsoil and RP for engine oil are generally pretty poorly regarded. Royal Purple does make great gear oil... I've read some of the Amsoil sponsored teams wouldn't even run it in their own personal cars. Again, no personal experience just what I've read.

Personally I use, and always have used Castrol GTX Syntec (recommended weights) with a K&N oil filter. Worked for my Dodge Stealth (TT), Infiniti G35, and now my Taco... never had a problem, and I drive it like I was making a drug run with the federalies on my arse.

4. Apr 6, 2010 at 2:31 AM
    TacoSupreem

TacoSupreem Dirty Trucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB 4x4 Sport
    I use amsoil 0w-30. The signature series will work for your application. It is great oil. The best IMO and alot of guys on here are running it. Talk to Gadget at URD he runs the same oil and is an authorized amsoil dealer and can answer any of your questions.

5. Apr 6, 2010 at 3:17 AM
    MiikeyD

MiikeyD The Green Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Upland, CA
    Vehicle:
    Green Prerunner DC 2.7L
    Suspension / Wheels / Tires 3.5" Fabtech lift w/ AAL 265/75/16 BFG A/T American Racing Baja Audio Alpine HU CDA-9886 Kicker DS650 Z-Edition 1000W Memphis M3 US Amps 4000W 2.5Farad Cap Lighting 6000K HID 2 Hella 500FF 2 Aux Bed Lights 2 Aux Driving Lights Performance Volant CAI Flomaster Super 44 Doug Thorley Long Tube headers (coming soon) NGK Iridium Sparkplugs Accessories Scanguage II Cobra LTD27-NW with 3' Firestik Radio Shack Triple Trunking Scanner Harbor Freight Hi-Lift Cosmetics Flat Black Bumper Trim Flat Black Grill Surrounding with Satoshi Clear Corners Future Modifications (not specific) Longtravel w/ king shocks or fox Caged bed Shackles rear suspension. Fox / king shocks custom front bumper Custom Glassworks extreme kit for 01-04 (only have hood and passenger side.. need driver panel) Supercharger + 8port intake manifold optima yellow top battery remounted new rims caged interior rear bench removal 4 sparc
    i used to use amsoil.. i think ill just stick to mobil. i ran amsoil and when i dumped it it was super dirty. no one carries it around here in cali that i know of and its expensive. just stick to the recommended oil weight.. thats why its recommended. :D

6. Apr 6, 2010 at 3:24 AM
    StandingCow

StandingCow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4 V6 access cab
    I have been using Mobil 1 fully synthetic 5w-30 and their oil filter as well. Truck seems happy.

7. Apr 6, 2010 at 3:40 AM
    philobeddoe

philobeddoe ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member:
    First Name:
    - philo
    Venice, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Gray Tacoma TRD
    none yet ...
    it looks dirty because it is doing its job ...
    1. lubrication
    2. suspension

oil with a quality additive pack, including detergents, should not come out looking clean

keep the air filter clean, use a quality oil filter ... for example wix or mobil1

amsoil is a quality synthetic oil, with an extended drain interval

there are other quality oils as well

i use amsoil in my cars, trucks and bikes ... 0W30 ... everything from V8's, V6's and I4's

except for the ones that get the Rotella T 5w40 ... which also comes out dirty

8. Apr 6, 2010 at 6:45 AM
    Snake~

Snake~ Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCSB TRD Sport
    Autolumination Yellow fog light bulbs, Dynomax Ultra Flo muffler, AFE Pro Dry S air filter, tailgate security mods, TRD skid plate, DeeZee bed mat, Armor Lid tonneau, OEM roof rack, TRD center caps, Satoshi grille, Sockmonkey tailgate decal
    I was curious about trying Amsoil, but I've been using Mobil1 oil and Wix filters for years in my cars and have had zero problems, so I figure why change now. Besides, Amsoil is kind of hard to find but Mobil1 is sold at Walmart, Target, Sams, every auto parts store, etc.

9. Apr 6, 2010 at 7:22 AM
    lowzone

lowzone Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Earth aka NJ
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM AC 2.7L 5 spd SR5
    future plan of 2" drop and any type of rim thats not a steelie. grille and BHLM mods, maybe....
    my brother is an AMSOIL dealer, runs it in his 4.0L FJ. the FILTER amsoil sells is amazng, no paper filter, its synthetic and traps like 98% down to 1 micron (IIRC)...im going to run those filters and Mobil 1 in my 2.7L but im running 0w20. 1st oil change at 1500 miles...then every 4k after that.

what is recommended for your motor? thats what id run.

10. Apr 6, 2010 at 7:27 AM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Just east of crazy

Member:
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Toyo A30 tires, Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover.
    At start up, you want your oil as thin as possible. 0w30 is a perfect weight to run in the v6 year round. 0w20 in the 4 banger. Most engine wear occurs at start up and you need your oil to flow through the engine as quickly as possible. The only difference between 0w30 and 5w30 is the 0w30 thickens less as it cools, therefore it is thinner at start up.

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/faq.php?faq=haas_articles#faq_motor_oil_basics

11. Apr 7, 2010 at 12:54 AM
    ironman_jon

ironman_jon [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner Sport
    URD TCAI Wicked Flow 18" 2 10in alpine type r 1500 watt amp MB 72 matte black Custom Bumper Debadged Glassworks fenders McNeil bedsides Helix TB Spacer Intake Manifold Spacer Custom Roof Rack 5x 55w HID SK2 projectors 55w DDM 5k Bulbs Camburg Long Travel Fox Coilovers
    well thanks for the input guys got to decide today on what im getting the dealer here for amsoil is giving it to me at 8.50 a qt but i ran rp im my SE-R and im still debating hard decision i guess. plus toyota want $95 for there syn. oil change with is stupid and way over priced........another issue im having is the rear tsb the dealer is saying its by the vin number of your truck is that true or are they pulling my leg i cant seem to get anything done here at the dealer the suck..........but they did throw in m intake and exhaust cause my truck ran out of gas the first da causr they fail to fill it up. had to push it to the gas station...bummer

12. Apr 7, 2010 at 5:22 PM
    dsmvfet

dsmvfet New Member

Member:
    i have a 09 with a 2.7 and 17400 miles on it and i have been running shell rotella-t 5w-40 since 1000 miles.

13. Apr 7, 2010 at 5:39 PM
    Isthatahemi

Isthatahemi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    BFG AT's, Weathertechs, Hoppy's brake controller.
    X2 - 0W30 is ideal, I use Mobil1, mostly because Amsoil's marketing sure seems sketchy. As well as Amsoil's lying about why their oils didn't have the API approval.

14. Apr 7, 2010 at 5:49 PM
    Isthatahemi

Isthatahemi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    BFG AT's, Weathertechs, Hoppy's brake controller.
    My opinion, the above is a very bad idea. That is 2 full grades thicker than OEM. It's not good for the oil pump, which is potentially bypassing a lot of the time. As well, these engines have under piston oil squirters, and they are not designed for 40W oil.
    30 weight oil is fine, but not 40W.

To Top