1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Question, Questions, and more Questionsss

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 01DBLCAB, May 8, 2011.

1. May 8, 2011 at 4:23 PM
    01DBLCAB

01DBLCAB [OP] New Member

Member:
    Central Valley CA
    Vehicle:
    Beater
    Hello to all. I just recently bought me a double cab sr5 4wd. I've noticed a coolant leak but can not pinpoint exactly where it is coming from but i notice that it seems to be coming from the radiator itself. It does not leak everyday but once every 3-4days. It does not matter if I drive it or not but once every 3-4 days it leaks about 6ounces of water. My carport would be dry one day and the next day it will have a puddle underneath. It takes the puddle about a day to dry itself. I also hear a hissing noise when I open the hood and it seems that it is coming from the radiator cap. I'll have to put in maybe a quater of a gallon of coolant after a weeks time. Can anybody tell me what I need to look at? I was thinking about doing the water pump and timing belt maybe in another month before the summer heats get here.

Question 2: I'm going to lift my truck on a 3inch suspension lift. I need recommendation on tire size (all terrain) and brand. I want to spend no more than maybe 700 because of my budget. I have already bought me a set of 15x10 rims and was looking at 32x1150x15 but then a friend of mine told me to go 33s. Would I need to cut anything or make any modification to fit with a 3 inch lift?

Please help me cause I am new to this. Thanks.:eek:

2. May 8, 2011 at 4:30 PM
    formulabird1997

formulabird1997 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    shaw afb, sc
    Vehicle:
    2010 tacoma trd sport
    Kobalt compact tool box, Rear spring tsb
    to answer question one, until you can pin point the leak, it is hard to tell what to do to fix it. I saw on mythbusters not too long ago that by cracking an egg into your radiator, it will stop your coolant leaks. and the hissing noise coming from your radiator is normal to an extent depending on how loud it is and that its coming from the cap. they also sell tools to pressurize your cooling system by removing the radiator cap and screwing on an adapter which allows you to use a hand pump to pressurize it. this should give ample time to find the leak.

3. May 8, 2011 at 10:21 PM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    96.5 FrankenTaco & 03 Stock dbl cab
    BFG KM2 33x12.5 tires, Wheelers Type B rims, Allpro 1.5'' Wheel spacers w/extended thread lug nuts 2 Alpine 10'' Type Xs 2 Kicker 6X9s 4 Sony 5 1/4s Pioneer 4100 HU Sway bar removed 4 Hella 500 HIDs Frankenstein Leaf packs 1'' lift shackles Eibach coils 5100s front 10'' 5150s rear BAMF BPV bracket Deckplate mod Elite Front bumper Magnaflow 14'' muffler Elite Off Road Rear bumper with Tire gate with jerry can and fold down table, BAMF sliders, Custom Homemade Bed, rack/roof rack, CVT Mt. Shasta Roof Top Tent, 20lb CO2 tank, BAMF diff skid custom front skid, GM CS144 140 amp alternator Blitzpro 21s HAWK side LEDs Blitzpro Custom made side mirror lights, LightForce 240 Blitz llights, Piaa 510 ION fogs, XRC8 Winch w/in cab controls,
  4. May 8, 2011 at 10:46 PM
    mikesdoublecab

mikesdoublecab LT Chase Truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Mohawk Mike
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma DoubleCab V6 Prerunner
    Engage Offroad long travel front and rear with some fat tires.
    for your leak, if it's pure water that is leaking with no trace of coolant, it can also be your AC condensor draining... my 01 dcab does the same thing and at first i thought it was the radiator, but after watching it drip, i found the source...

i thought it would only drip when running the AC, but it also does it when i run the heater... it drips from an elbow coming out of the passenger side firewall, rolls forward along the frame, then drops somewhere towards the front...

at least on mine it did...

as for the tires, if running 15s, you are likely going to have 3.75" backspace, which will keep the 33x11.5 away from the frame and stock UCA on turns, but depending on your caster, you could end up with rub from the outer sidewall on your pinch weld at full turn and articulation...

To Top