1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Question: Skids for 2nd Gens...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by gjbonner, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Jan 23, 2010 at 5:16 PM
    gjbonner

gjbonner [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    Rhino Lined exterior,Fab Tech 6", 1.25" SpiderTrax spacers, Wheels painted Rustoleum Hammered Black, All Pro front plate bumper, Warn 9.5 ti winch, BHLM, Cig lighter constant on, Door beep toggle switch, Locker mod, Lock/unlock beeper Mod, Rear tailights smoked, 750w inverter with the outlets and on/off switch wired to rear of the console, Blacked out badges, blacked out rear bumper.
    I have been told that the bud built skids will not fit 2nd gen tacos with a 6" fabtech lift. I have looked around but couldnt get anything definitive.
    I would prefer the aluminum 1/8 inch type stuff and dont really care who it comes from. but if options are limited I'll take what i can get.

Anyone know who makes skids that will fit our 2nd gens with 6" lifts. I would appreciate any information i could get. Thanks

2. Jan 23, 2010 at 5:23 PM
    luni

luni Resident Gun-toting Hippie

Member:
    First Name:
    Burt's Mustache
    Ft Bragg, NC
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR
    Icon c/os, TSB 4 leaf pack, Unbreakable Fab tube winch bumper, Mile Marker SEC12000, Roadless Gear winch control panel, Bud Built skids, URD Pipe Bomb Y pipe, snorkeled rear diff breather, no carpet
    The same people that make the 6 inch lift as far as I can tell. Every major skid is designed fit under the front diff in stock configuration. It's completely different geometry once you throw in that drop bracket. If the stock skids don't fit anymore, aftermarket skids won't fit, they use the same mounting points. Unless they're specifically marketed with that drop bracket. Which usually puts them at more of a 45 degree angle.

So to answer your question, no BudBuilt skids won't fit. And he doesn't make a skid for drop brackets. Neither will AllPro, Armor Tech, or OEM.

You're looking for something like this
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EXP-57195/?rtype=10

3. Jan 23, 2010 at 5:26 PM
    gjbonner

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    Rhino Lined exterior,Fab Tech 6", 1.25" SpiderTrax spacers, Wheels painted Rustoleum Hammered Black, All Pro front plate bumper, Warn 9.5 ti winch, BHLM, Cig lighter constant on, Door beep toggle switch, Locker mod, Lock/unlock beeper Mod, Rear tailights smoked, 750w inverter with the outlets and on/off switch wired to rear of the console, Blacked out badges, blacked out rear bumper.
    cool I appreciate the info. I'll check with Fabtech and see if they have an option. I really think i'm gonna have to wait till i go home and then just have some fabbed by my brother in law. oh well it'll be cheaper.

4. Jan 23, 2010 at 5:28 PM
    luni

luni Resident Gun-toting Hippie

Member:
    First Name:
    Burt's Mustache
    Ft Bragg, NC
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR
    Icon c/os, TSB 4 leaf pack, Unbreakable Fab tube winch bumper, Mile Marker SEC12000, Roadless Gear winch control panel, Bud Built skids, URD Pipe Bomb Y pipe, snorkeled rear diff breather, no carpet
    If you've got the option I'd just fab up a set. If you have the means make a set that goes all the way behind your transfer case and exhaust cross over. I'd take belly skid over a front skid if I had to. I can choose where the front wheels go but stuff has a way coming up catching the expensive bits in the middle.

5. Jan 23, 2010 at 5:46 PM
    Fire931

Fire931 Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    00 4Runner
    at the moment i dont know of anything avaliable...

however i do have plans to do a front skid for the 6" guys in the future... tough part is getting someone close enough with the two different 6" kits to test on..

6. Jan 23, 2010 at 5:52 PM
    gjbonner

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    It would be nice to have a one piece that goes from the front diff back :) we have them for our LAVs but they are heavy as shit and designed for IEDs:)

To Top