1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Questionable cali emissions?!?!?1

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by rebethunder333, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Jan 21, 2010 at 7:49 PM
    rebethunder333

rebethunder333 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Virginia / North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    00 4cyl 4wd Taco
    I have a 2000 tacoma 4wd with a 2.7L. Truck has california emissions on it, but resides on the east coast so legality isn't an issue. Used to get 20- 24 mpg all day long, then suddenly dropped to 15 mpg on a good day. Check engine light has been on since I bought the truck in '03 but only for a "catalyst" code. since the fuel milage dropped i have gutted the catalytic converter ( both of them, thanks california!!) and gained a little power back, but absolutely no fuel economy. air/fuel delivery/gears/tires all stock. Any help would be awesome, oil changed regularly plugs, and air filter within the past year. this is pissing me off because i love this truck and the gas milage is horrible!!!

2. Jan 22, 2010 at 3:41 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    DC or New Jersey - Depends on the day....
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Well...If you USED to get 20-24 and then it dropped outta no where- My guess is that "catalyst" code is actaully a valid code and until you get it fixed or get a signal bypass you are in "limp" mode in the ECU.
    It won't let the engine perform to max available and that means you are pushing the skinny pedal WAY more to do the same things.

Get the code checked again....Make sure nothing new has popped up and then get your truck fixed.

3. Jan 22, 2010 at 4:53 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is gooder 'en chicken Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+250k AND COUNTING), 88 SR5 PU (SOLD), 98 TRD OR (CRUSHED)
    5100's all on fours
    x2

Sounds like a bad AFR sensor

4. Jan 22, 2010 at 6:03 AM
    EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest USA
    Vehicle:
    '01 & '04 S-Runners
    01 SR: Double Cab conversion, S/C, lowered.
    What code were you getting? Just because a code is associated with catalytic converter operation doesn't mean the cat is the only possible cause.

To Top