1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

questions about diff and tranny fluid...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by diddy5584, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Feb 19, 2012 at 10:21 AM
    diddy5584

diddy5584 [OP] Member

Member:
    Kansas City MO
    Vehicle:
    06 DBL LB 4X4
    So I bought my truck with 125000 miles on it knowing it will last at least that long if not longer... but i was going to change out all of my fluids and have been told not to. any thoughts? btw the previous owner changed oil and maintained at the stealership to a T everything done on schedule. I really think I should but mechanics have told me that it can screw everything up.

2. Feb 19, 2012 at 11:06 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickok

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD OFFROAD 4x4 VSC/TRAC/DAC/HAC
    snugtop, piaa, weathertech, westin, oem bed mat, trd seat covers, avs inchannel vent visors, 2" suspension lift, front diff drop, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extention & reroute, front window tint, cat theft protection plate, tailgate clamp mod, xpel headlight/foglight protecters, oem block heater, bfg 265/75R/16 a/t k/o's, cabin air rodent protection screen, rcbs illuminated 4X4 switch mod
    If everythng was done on schedule hopefully those fluids have been already changed out. The differentials/transfer case every 30,000 and the tranny at 60,000 (when towing) or 100,000 for normal use. I'd get the diffs/transfer changed out. The tranny get changed...just not flushed. I'm no expert but I can't see the reasoning of leaving the original fluids in for the life of the vehical.

personally...even if I wasn't towing I wouldn't let the tranny get past 50,000 without getting the fluid changed.

3. Feb 19, 2012 at 3:39 PM
    diddy5584

diddy5584 [OP] Member

Member:
    Kansas City MO
    Vehicle:
    06 DBL LB 4X4
    Ok I was told that you can "stir" the metal shavings from normal wear and cause problems but didnt know. Also would that be something i could do in the driveway? I am pretty mechanically inclined but do not want to hurt my girl trying to help her... Also how often do you guys change your oil in ur rigs?

4. Feb 19, 2012 at 3:45 PM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    SoCal
    The stirring metal shavings is from flushing. Draining thee trans and refilling is safe to do. There is a diy thread on here for it. Don't ever flush a trans, bad things happen.

5k for dino oil 10k for synthetic. Toyota oil filter is the best

To Top