1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

questions about towing(never towed with this truck)

Discussion in 'Towing' started by dayNnite4, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Jan 10, 2012 at 3:24 PM
    dayNnite4

dayNnite4 [OP] We can't stop here, this is bat country.

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x4 5-speed AC
    this coming may my sister is moving back to jersey from DC. instead of renting a uhaul van, i was thinking i could go with with the taco, pick up a uhual trailer, and move her back up that way.

here r my questions:

1. my truck didnt come with a receiver but id plan on installing one. as for the harness, my last truck came with a receiver and a plug with 4 round holes. my truck doesnt have a back up cam but there is a wire running into the tailgate and has a plug attached to the frame that u need to unplug to remove the tailgate. it has 4 flat pins. i think i remember the dealer saying something about that being the connect for a trailer harness. i kno there r guys with my model truck that tow but how do u connect the trailer harness and wat do u connect it to?

2. wat numbers do i need to look nat to kno how much i can haul. i kno the max trailer weight is 3500 and the max weight for the bed is 1000 lbs. im thinking i cant max out both and be okay so how do i figure out how much of each i can use?

thank you for your time!!

2. Jan 10, 2012 at 3:39 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    I think that tailgate wire harness is totally different; for the backup cam even though yoiur truck isn't equipped with it.

eTrailer has the plug-and-play wiring harness you need. Just follow the steps on their website. You'll need to remove the left taillight assembly, but that's easy enough.

If you go the max trailer weight of 3500, you can't carry anything else - you've maxed out your GCVWR.

If you've got less than that in the trailer - subtract the tongue weight from your payload weight to see how much you can put in the bed in addition to the trailer.

3. Jan 10, 2012 at 3:49 PM
    Lazylegs

Lazylegs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Southern Maryland, USA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Red Toyota AC Sold
    Tint (35%), a must. Step bars, Bull bar, Bull lights,4x4 light mod, Flip down 10" DVD player, De badged, Color match front emblem, color matched bumpers., black out tails, Cobra cb, Flashlight mod,bed-light mod,
    I haul 1400 lb trailers around all the time with mine And never had any pulling issues. Probably went over the weight a few times. If you go to uhaul.com the have a drop down section that will tell you how large of a trailer and the max load it it ect..

4. Jan 11, 2012 at 4:03 PM
    dayNnite4

dayNnite4 [OP] We can't stop here, this is bat country.

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x4 5-speed AC
    cool. thanks for the advice guys

5. Jan 13, 2012 at 9:52 PM
    Dustyroades

Dustyroades Well-Known Member

Member:
    London, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport
    bjmoose has it right, of course :). You have to make sure you are under both GCVWR (truck + trailer + everything you are carrying in both) and GVWR (truck + trailer tongue weight + everything in truck). GCVWR and GVWR will be posted on the sticker on your door jamb, and/or in your owners manual. GCVWR can be found by hitting the truck scales and adding up all axles, GVWR can be found by just adding the 2 truck axles. Or just do some rough math assuming tongue weight is 10-15% of loaded trailer weight.

FYI I would recommend the 5x8 trailer and not the 6x12. The 6x12 weighs nearly 2000 lbs empty.

Products Discussed in

To Top