1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

questions about u-bolt flip kit

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by YotaKid62, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Apr 9, 2012 at 5:59 PM
    YotaKid62

YotaKid62 [OP] Dirty mall crawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Forrest
    North Dakota
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma TRD Sr5 5 speed
    Grey Wire Locker Mod, 3" coil spacers & custom leaf packs, 2" BL, Skyjacker rear nitro shocks, Monroe front gas shocks; 15" eclipse sub & 1400 watt visonik amp with Kenwood stereo, Billet Petals, Black Aries series Grille guard, ebay baja lights (unsure of brand)
    Hey everyone, I really hope I'm not recreating a thread that's already been :deadhorse: . I've been doing that a lot it seems like. But anyways, I read the write up about the rockstomper u bolt flip kit. And It sounded like a cool deal. I'm interested in it but am wondering if there are any cons about the whole thing. Would the higher shock mount (more compressed shocks) cause a rougher ride? And would both shocks being in the same direction affect anything? It also looked like the kit may have caused the shocks to be in kind of a bad angle. I like the idea of getting more flex and clearance and I have the materials, so i have thought about fabbing my own, and just buying the u bolts at a hardware store. Any thoughts would help, thanks.

2. Apr 10, 2012 at 8:27 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    I haven't done this mod so no actual experience, but have some thoughts on it.

AFAIK, the purpose is to protect the ends of the u-bolts from being bashed in by rocks, if you rock-crawl, and provide an inch or so of additional clearance at that point on the axle housing. No affect on flex or ride, since the springs don't change.

I'm not familiar with the Rockstomper u-bolt kit, and how it handles the shock mounting, but this is a big issue. If not done right, you could really limit the articulation of your rear suspension, or cause it to be too mushy.

All in all, I didn't do this to the crawler that I had, because I felt that it might create more problems than it would solve.

3. Apr 10, 2012 at 3:57 PM
    hossmaster

hossmaster Well-Known Member

Member:
    League City, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2002 Converted / 2017 OR
    Was a PreRunner, now it isn't
    you lose the shock mounts, you have to re-do how the shocks mount to the vehicle. The 05+ are different.

4. Apr 10, 2012 at 4:17 PM
    valon5150

valon5150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    redding
    Vehicle:
    01 taco turd
    all pro lift, 33s, home made sliders, bumpers, skids
    It won't necessarily give you any more flex. you should detach one of your current shocks and flex out, then measure the distance and compare to your shocks extended length. your leaf and shackle angle may be limiting flex more then your shocks

Products Discussed in

To Top