1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Questions from new truck owner

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by PatHLC128, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Sep 1, 2008 at 9:11 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft

I have a feeling your old Dodge weighed a bit more than these trucks, or at the very least had more of the weight over the rear wheels due to it having a metal bed.

Trucks in general are light in the rear where the actual drive wheels are, and these trucks are worse due to the composite bed. I would not drive a 2wd version of this truck in snow without weight in the bed or better tires. Almost lost mine 2 weeks after delivery on a light dusting of snow. Then again, it could've been the POS Rugged Fails it came with. :rolleyes: Sand in the back made it a little better, but I started automatically engaging 4wd as soon the roads turned white. Still did sometimes with the new tires after the trauma from the last experience. :laugh: Nothing like almost seeing your 2 week old truck drive off a cliff. :(

I had sand bags in mine with the rubber mat. Damn things still froze solid and slid around the bed. A frame or straps to hold them in place would be best I think. Or even one of those bladders you filled with water. They cover the entire bed, strap down at the corners, and freeze solid to fit the bed.

With that said, first thing I'd do is dump the stock tires before the snow flies. Save them for spring through fall if you want, but for take them off before winter! My Bridgestone Rugged Trails worked fine in deep snow, 4WD, but couldn't handle light stuff on the roads. Tread packed full, wouldn't clean out, and suddenly they became giant snow balls rolling on snow. Talk about lack of traction. :mad:

2. Sep 1, 2008 at 10:37 PM
    PatHLC128

PatHLC128 [OP] College.

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road 4x4 AC
    OME complete 3" kit, 265/75/16 Cooper STTs, Pro Comp 7089 wheels, Shrockworks sliders, UWS Low Pro Toolbox, AFE Pro-Dry S, OEM Bedmat, Ventvisors, Husky Liners, Tint, De-badged
    i think im gonna get the OEM rubber bed mat. the website only lists it for the 08 but i would assume that it will still fit my 09, correct?

Products Discussed in

To Top