1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Questions on an AAL

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by 92GSD, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Aug 26, 2016 at 3:47 PM
    92GSD

92GSD [OP] Active Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR DCLB 4x4
    Ok, so I installed Camburg ball joint UCA's and Bilstein 6112's with the spring perch at the middle notch, and a 3/8" spacer on the driver side & a 1/4" spacer on the passenger side. From my measurements, it looks like I got about 2 1/4" of lift on both sides. The front lift parts have only been on for a couple of weeks.
    For the rear, I also ordered a Timbren off-road bump stop & U bolt flip kit, bilstein 5100 shocks, and the wheelers 3 leaf AAL, which I have not installed yet.
    My questions are in regard to the amount of lift I should expect w/ the AAL & new 5100's. The AAL is supposed to be 1.75", but I'm not sure if that will give me too much rake. I don't mind a little rake, and would prefer a more level stance when viewing the truck from the side. I also tow a travel trailer, and occasionally haul stuff.
    Can I remove the factory overload leaf spring for less lift? I'm under the assumption that the Timbren bump stops should be able to take up some slack when the trailer is hitched, if I'm bottoming out the springs, is this correct? Any experience, opinions, suggestions are all welcome. TIA.

Here's my truck now, I can take a better pic from the side if you guys want.

2. Aug 26, 2016 at 3:51 PM
    TireFire

TireFire Superunknown Member

Member:
    Olympic Peninsula
    Wheelers three leaf AAL is designed to ditch the factory overload leaf and then still give you the 1.75" lift or whatever they claim. Some people keep the overload leaf for additional lift but I think personally that's a bad idea, just slightly better than using a AAL together with a lift block. The shocks won't give you any lift at all

3. Aug 26, 2016 at 3:54 PM
    TireFire

TireFire Superunknown Member

Member:
    Olympic Peninsula
    Since your Tacoma is about as heavy as it can get from the factory you might not get as much lift as a regular cab for example would get from the AAL but in turn your ride will be smoother. Since you'll have the timbren bump stops you don't need to keep the factory overload leaf for better towing/hauling. Hope this helps?

4. Aug 26, 2016 at 3:55 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    The 3 leaf AALs are 1.5" without the overload retained and 2" with (the exact thickness of the overload spring is the difference). If you use your truck as a truck, keep the overload in. Without it, you're significantly decreasing the strength of the already anemic OEM leaf springs. There is nothing wrong with maintaining the overload, and not sure how that's comparable to a lift block in any way. I would ignore that comparison.

5. Aug 26, 2016 at 3:55 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    And any other bad advice you might receive..

Products Discussed in

To Top