1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Questions on how to upgrade laptop specs

Discussion in 'Technology' started by 08pretaco, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Aug 22, 2011 at 9:01 AM
    Fink

Fink Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    WeatherTechs, 265/75-16 DuraTracs, ATX Mojave Teflon Wheels, ARE V-Series Shell
    Dual Core is simply a technology that just means the processor has two cores for processing data. There is also Quad Core, Six-Core, etc...

The "Intel Core" name is simply a brand name for the current lineup of Intel's processors. The newest processors are the Intel Core i7, Intel Core i5 and Intel Core i3. The previous lineup, Intel Core 2 Solo, Intel Core 2 Duo, etc are no longer in production but are still very widely used.

Intel has migrated away from using the actual processor names (Intel Core 2 Duo, for example) to delineate the specific technology/features of the processor. Now, they simply have three levels - the i3 (low), i5 (middle) and i7 (high).

It gets even more granular when you get into the different microarchitectures such as Nehalem and Sandy Bridge - which are then broken down by "Codenames", etc...

For what you need to do, I would say a Dual Core i3 or i5 would be just fine. I would not worry about the microarchitectures or anything like that or you are just going to confuse yourself even more.

As I said, I manage two FDIC-insured banks using two IBM machines (both Core 2 Duo) and I make it just fine. Would I prefer to have a Quad-Core i7 with 8GB of RAM? Of course! :D

I hope this helps and doesn't confuse you even more.

Feel free to post up more questions if you have them.

Fink

2. Aug 22, 2011 at 9:40 AM
    08pretaco

08pretaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
  3. Aug 22, 2011 at 9:43 AM
    08pretaco

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
  4. Aug 22, 2011 at 9:43 AM
    Fink

Fink Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    No need for a Quad Core, IMO. If you feel the need, you will need to save up some serious dough.

I think the configuration I recommended would work just fine - just be sure to utilize good computing practices (clearing your cache frequently, running a low-impact A/V application, removing stock junk that is installed on the machines, etc...).

Maybe bump up the config to 6GB of RAM and call it a day?

It honestly sounds like you might be a bit too picky for the budget you have yourself set to - not trying to be a douche, just trying to help.

If I were you, I'd save up another $200-$300 and get yourself a good, solid computer that will last you a while.

Fink

5. Aug 22, 2011 at 9:47 AM
    Fink

Fink Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    Also, one big limitation with laptops (without spending major dough) is the graphics.

Most of them are going to utilize built-in/chipset-based graphics, which for the average consumer is more than enough, but for what you are doing, it may be a limiting factor. You can have the fastest processor and 12GB of RAM and if your graphics card isn't up to par, you're screwed.

I would realistically sit down and see what kind of budget you are working with.

With all of that being said, your original post was about upgrading a seemingly archaic Toshiba and we're now talking about getting a brand new Lenovo/Dell with the newest processor and a lot more RAM...so from where you started...you're looking pretty good. :D

Fink

6. Aug 22, 2011 at 10:54 AM
    08pretaco

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
  7. Aug 22, 2011 at 11:05 AM
    Fink

Fink Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    I'm having a hard time finding that URL given that it's from your mobile.

Can you give me the model number?

Fink

8. Aug 22, 2011 at 11:13 AM
    08pretaco

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    NV57H26U

9. Aug 22, 2011 at 11:19 AM
    Fink

Fink Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    Thanks.

Personally, I would not recommend Gateway. IMO, they have been the redheaded stepchild of the PC world for the past several years and I have not had good luck with them.

If I were you, I would spend the extra dough on a Lenovo and call it a day. Lenovo's quality is the best I have seen in Windows-based PC's so far.

We use them (IBM/Lenovo) for all of our desktops here (about 60 machines) and the majority of our branches use them (200+ machines). We also use their enterprise-level equipment for both infrastructures in our Data Centers.

And just in case, I am in no way affiliated with IBM/Lenovo. :)

Fink

10. Aug 22, 2011 at 11:22 AM
    08pretaco

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    I'll take a look at theirs more in depth .

Hit you up with some goodness when I get home, cant do it on my phone.

11. Aug 22, 2011 at 11:26 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    I suggest hitting tigerdirect dot com and checking it out..............

12. Aug 22, 2011 at 11:27 AM
    Fink

Fink Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    Definitely check them out and see what you think.

I appreciate it man! :thumbsup:

Fink

13. Aug 23, 2011 at 10:41 AM
    08pretaco

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
  14. Aug 23, 2011 at 1:48 PM
    Fink

Fink Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    ASUS has really improved over the past few years; however, I do not have any firsthand experience with them. A colleague of mine here bought a high-end ASUS gaming laptop for his wife and he has good luck with it.

I think for that price it's definitely worth it and you are right, the 1GB video memory is a definite plus for you.

The only thing I am not sure about, due to lack of experience, is the AMD processor. I know nothing about them and never owned one.

Overall, I think it's a good find, a great price, and appears to suit your needs better than the other laptops that Best Buy has in that price range.

Let us know what you decide!

Fink

15. Aug 23, 2011 at 1:52 PM
    08pretaco

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    Well Bestbuy's return is 14 days so i will see how it hold up. So far so good except for the fact that its windows based and I am lost on how it runs lol

I found out its 1.6 ghz...do you know anything about over-clocking? Id love to get closer to 2.3 and i am also going to add a 4GB card and feel that will make a great little package. thoughts?

16. Aug 23, 2011 at 1:54 PM
    Fink

Fink Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    Nice - I didn't know you already bought it.

I have some experience in overclocking Intel processors but zero experience with messing with AMD's. I will say, you will probably want to wait until the return period is over, just in case.

When you say a 4GB card, what do you mean? Adding 4GB of RAM?

Fink

17. Aug 23, 2011 at 2:07 PM
    08pretaco

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    ya it came with a 4GB card and left room for adding another 4GB RAM. Would that help me out at all?

Any downfalls that you have experienced from overclokcing?

18. Aug 23, 2011 at 3:05 PM
    Fink

Fink Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    Wow - the fact that it had 4GB on a single DIMM is very impressive.

Most of the cheaper laptops (sub $600) split the RAM up as much as possible because it's cheaper to get two 2GB chips than it is to get a single 4GB.

If I were you, I would play around with it in it's current configuration and see how you like it. No sense in putting more money into it if it works the way it is right out of the box.

As far negatives for overclocking - I have never had a machine stay overclocked long enough to really tell. I would build a machine and then sell it usually just a few weeks afterwards (I enjoy building more than using). Obviously, increased heat can be an issue, and with it being a laptop, there isn't much in the way of accelerated cooling for them aside from the usual precautions; using it on a non-porous surface (versus a couch cushion, your body, etc.), having as much airflow around it as possible (ceiling fan, desk fan, open area, etc.) not using it in a hot room, etc...

Aside from that, just be mindful of the temps (you can usually tell by touch how hot it's getting) and you should be ok.

Fink

19. Aug 23, 2011 at 3:45 PM
    wing103

wing103 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport / Dark Gray
    Grill Craft upper & Lower Grill WetOK Seat Cover, Devil Horn, Bug, Windows Deflector, Side step Bar, HID 55W 8000K Headlight, HID 35W 4000K Foglight, Fog Light Mod, Interior LED Map Light Mod, Electric Tail Gate Lock, Leer Cab, Key ring light, Bed LED lights Mod, Kenwood DNX5120, Signal Mirror with Heat
    For me I will suggest use the i5 instead of AMD, because AMD like a heat generator!
    Or like me I use apple MacBook pro, bootcamp it and I can have windows7 and osx both operating system! I have autocad on my MacBook osx, it run much faster than in windows7!
    If you are a student you can get $200 rebate one is $100 cash discount on the MacBook pro, and another $100 apple gift card! Not a bad deal!
    Remember you pay what you get!

20. Aug 23, 2011 at 3:50 PM
    08pretaco

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    i had windows xp on my fusion on the macbook pro....lost it. doesnt even acknowledge that it was ever installed. I had in on there for a semester using solid edge and then went back to open fusion a couple months later, wiped out

Products Discussed in

To Top