1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Questions on supplementation, and fat loss

Discussion in 'Health' started by futuretacoowner, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Jan 19, 2013 at 6:24 AM
    futuretacoowner

futuretacoowner [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    02 2.7L xtra cab
    So a little background, I made a bet with one of my friends that I will have a six pack in a year, this was made last Monday. been hitting the gym everyday since then. Also changed my diet. Eggs, started with 3 in the morning with oatmeal and all natural peanut butter and a coffee (no sugar), as of today moved up to 4 eggs. mid morning I have a Banana, lunch is left overs from the night before (Eg half chicken breast and broccoli) another banana mid afternoon, 12 grain bagel w/ light cream cheese and a black coffee pre workout. and supper would be something like lunch, or with steak instead of chicken. Went to GNC yesterday picked up some promasil protein and a multi vitamin (Mega Man sport) and taking 1 multivitamin with breakfast and one with supper, and 1 scoop protein after workout. Is this enough? When I made the bet I weighed in at 230lbs @ 6'2" as of yesterday I am down to 224.5lbs

Edit: Also have physical training with the paramedic academy every monday and wednesday, our workout is crossfit like.

2. Jan 27, 2013 at 10:19 AM
    Joshua

Joshua Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Lafayette, LA
    Vehicle:
    06 V6 TRD off-road 4X4 Silver Doublecab
    The only way to build muscle is to eat more than usual and weight train.
    The only way to burn fat and maintain muscle is to eat less than usual and weight train.
    That a very basic formula.

Getting more technical, you have to figure out your base caloric intake. This is the amount of calories you can take day in and day out and stay the same weight. So, say my base caloric intake is 2500 a day. If I wanted to gain muscle, I would have to bump it up to 2700-3000 a day. Plus weight train. I would do this over an extended period of time, about 8 weeks or more. This is called bulking. It's inevitable to gain fat.
    If I wanted to lose fat, I would cut down to 2200-2000 calories a day. Over an extended period of time, about6-8 weeks. Or however long you want to cut down. It's inevitable to lose at least a little bit of muscle, that's why you weight train, to minimize that effect.

3. Jan 27, 2013 at 10:45 AM
    Sublime

Sublime Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 4x4
    Icon/All Pro.....chopped for 35's
    What's worked for me is 10-12 x my BW in calories.......keep strength work there since its not taxing on the calorie side and slow steady cardio if you need some help (sprints and heavy met-cons are fun but will tax you big time and tend to make you VERY hungry).

Once things get easier and you get closer to your goal, you will have to start being more strict but its deff doable!

4. Apr 21, 2013 at 8:52 PM
    SpeedoJosh

SpeedoJosh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access cab, Base, 4x4
    Sure, you can sit there and measure out food, caloric intake, hate life, etc...

Or, you can work out and eat without measuring. Cut out grain and dairy from your diet and see how your body comp is in a month or so. Ten times easier then weighing and measuring.

Training side, keep with the cross training. Don't be scared to do metcons or sprints. (In 30 minutes I can find you 15 people who do slow cardio and are fat. I'll give you a day and bet you can't find 5 fat people who run sprints.)
    If your training makes you hungry, eat. You're not going to do your body any justice denying it food for rebuilding.
    As long as you're training and eating clean, you will lose fat. It's that simple. You can also burn fat and build muscle at the same time without counting calories.

You don't sound like you're overeating, so no worries on quantity control with you, so here's an easy thing to follow:

Breakfast - Eat
    Lunch - Eat
    Workout - do work
    Post workout - Carbs and protein
    Dinner - Eat
    Repeat

One more thing, strength training IS taxing on the caloric side. I don't have the time or the care to type out the reasons or cite the studies. A quick googlescholar or plain google search will tell you why.

OP, if you're truly interested, shoot me a PM, and I'll hit you up with some books, websites, studies, authors to check out.

5. Apr 30, 2013 at 7:36 AM
    Nirvana

Nirvana Tesla Auto

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Morgan Hill, U.S.A
    Vehicle:
    2006 Off Road 4X4
    Icon ext. travel 2.5RR in front, Icon ext. travel 2.0RR in rear, BuiltRight uniball UCAs, Wheelers Superbumps, Goodridge steel braided brake lines, BruteForce front plate bumper w/ Warn M9000+synth line, American Auto Horns ACDF, Pelfrey Bussman mount+Sandman bussman fuse block (soon), 255/75R16s on painted stockers...because I'm not paying $800 to rock rash new wheels you scrubs. Shok Industries 2/0 big 4 upgrade and sound deadener.
    ^^^This. I'll add that making your carbs from whole foods and not processed is going to be better too. Oatmeal, brown rice, sweet potato etc. Cut out "diet" "light" whatever too if you're serious about it.

6. Apr 30, 2013 at 11:51 PM
    TyT

TyT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black Tacoma TRD Sport
    OP PM me I work for GNC and am studying to be our nutrionalist

7. May 16, 2013 at 12:45 PM
    sportsterchop200

sportsterchop200 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NE Georgia
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Tacoma 4x4
    OME 881, Bilstein 5100 @ 0", OME 10mm JK spacer, Stock rear on 265/70-16
    Not trying to offend anyone but GNC is a rip off, buy your supplements from prosource.net. In my opinion for the quality and the money Dymatize has some of the best products out currently. I dont represent either of these companys Im just a customer.

8. May 16, 2013 at 12:54 PM
    futuretacoowner

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    02 2.7L xtra cab
    Things have pretty much been put on hold for a couple reasons, as much as I hate to say it. Still taking the multivitamin but hitting the gym has stopped for a little bit. hopefully get back at it within the next month.

9. May 16, 2013 at 12:56 PM
    futuretacoowner

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    02 2.7L xtra cab
    definatly going to get back at it though, I need to not only for my career in EMS but I also want to get into fire.

10. May 16, 2013 at 1:09 PM
    woodygg

woodygg Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    04 DC Tacoma 4x4
    you do realize that the term 'nutritionist' is meaningless? there's no definition or standards for that term. heck, everyone on this forum can call themselves that. if you're serious about making a career in that field, look into becoming a Registered Dietician. That terms means something very specific and meaningful.

And to the OP - get rid of that bagel! And yes, if you're trying for a specific goal of abs, diet is going to be your biggest contributor, by far. You should be making some effort to count calories for what you're doing. Don't ignore them as some have suggested.

11. May 16, 2013 at 1:47 PM
    SpeedoJosh

SpeedoJosh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access cab, Base, 4x4
    Hells yea it is. I can't believe they are still open. Hoping they start closing down like blockbuster. It's unreal the mark up they have there.
    Probably make most their money from their salesman, errr.... I mean "nutritionalist" advising people on the 15 overpriced supplements they "need" to take in order to look like Jay Cutler.

Amazon, vitamin shoppe, etc.... Pretty much any place is cheaper then them. Hell, even the stuff the gym pushes is cheaper.

Products Discussed in

To Top