1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Quick check of my facts...

Discussion in 'Towing' started by gusher, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Apr 28, 2011 at 12:17 PM
    gusher

gusher [OP] SUPERCHARGED!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Hudson NH
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 long bed, TRD Sport
    '08 Indigo Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4 Long Bed, Grillcraft grill, Pioneer AVH-P3200BT head unit, XM receiver, Boyo backup camera, Custom devil horns Toyota logo, Black headlight mod, Fog lights on anytime mod, Maglight mount, Weathertech floor liners, Debadged, Trex color-matched eyelids, Access tonneau cover, Toyota bed divider, Sno-way 7'4" snow plow, Auxiliary backup lights, Rear spring TSB, Removed front mud flaps, 2.5" Hell Bent Steel front lift, 285/70-17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Satin black MB TKO wheels, Black Go Rhino Dominator II nerf steps, custom HomeLink install, CompuStar remote starter, Redline Tuning QuickLift Elite hood struts, Toyota bed mat, Custom short Taco antenna, TRD cold air intake, TRD exhaust, TRD supercharger
    I am adding electric brakes to my boat trailer and just want to verify from the group here that I am heading in the right direction. My boat trailer has a 4-pin connector on it right now so I am planning on removing that and installing a 7-pin that will mate up with my 7-pin on my '08 Tacoma with towing package. If I run the two blue wires from the trailer brakes to the appropriate pin on the 7-pin connector that I'm going to be replacing the 4-pin with, and I install a brake controiller in my cab and wire it in via the wiring harness that I'll find above the drivers kick panel, I should be good to go? Read the "bible" and many other threads but most talk about adding stuff to trucks w/o the towing package. Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything here. Thanks!

2. Apr 28, 2011 at 12:24 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    Just get a four pin to 7 pin adapter but I didn't think there were enough connections in a four pin connector for trailer brakes.

Edit-Okay I read your post again and I'm stupid. It sounds like you are on the right track. The question I am sure you want verified is the OEM 7 pin connector is wired to conform with your new trailer plug and that a controller is a basic plug and play. Unfortunately, I cannot help you on this one. Someone will chime in.

Okay, I just looked and there is service connector for a trailer brake controller under the dash so as long as all the pin connections coincide you should be good to go.

3. Apr 28, 2011 at 12:39 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    The "standards" for 7 pin are pretty loose. You're going to want the Tacoma 7 pin out diagram in hand when wiring up your new custom 7 pin connector on your trailer, to make sure everything works as expected the first time.

4. Apr 28, 2011 at 12:43 PM
    RI Tacoma

RI Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Phx sometime soon
    Vehicle:
    2011 Sport DCLB
    OME 885's, Derped FJ TRD Wheels, Hankook Dynapro's ATM 265/75/16's, Retro's, WeatherTech Liners, Fog Light Mod, Bak Flip F-1, N-Fab Steps, 20% Tint, complete stereo, heated mirrors, Katzkin seats!!
    Not sure what the laws are in NH but all trailers I have worked on had a break away system on it. Its a pin that pulls out if the trailer ever gets disconnected, and is required to pass inspection. I think it is only for trailers over a certain weight but I am not sure.

Other than that, as far as wiring you are correct.

Products Discussed in

To Top