1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Quick gear oil question.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by vwbuggsy, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Apr 17, 2011 at 6:44 PM
    vwbuggsy

vwbuggsy [OP] Member

Member:
    Clinton, MD
    Vehicle:
    09 DC 4X4 LB Black Sand Pearl
    N-fab steps, Wet Okole Covers, line-x, tint, vent shades, budget stereo upgrades, weathertech floor liners
    No, I don't want to open up another synthetic vs. dyno debate or brand war.

I have already purchased regular (non synth) Valvoline 80/90 gear oil that says it's specifically for limited slip diffs on the bottle, and that it already has the additive. I have a 2009 TRD Sport 4X4, so I believe I need the LSD additive.

Is there any reason or benefit to adding additional additive into this gear oil, or will I simply thin out the gear oil too much and cause myself problems. My guess is that the manufacturer has added just the right amount, so i don't need to add any more. Right?

Thanks!

2. Apr 17, 2011 at 6:54 PM
    vwbuggsy

vwbuggsy [OP] Member

Member:
    Clinton, MD
    Vehicle:
    09 DC 4X4 LB Black Sand Pearl
    N-fab steps, Wet Okole Covers, line-x, tint, vent shades, budget stereo upgrades, weathertech floor liners
    Man, this forum is fast.

So, since I have an 09 I DON'T have a mechanical LSD, and I can use whatever the hell 80/90 I want in the rear differential, synthetic or regular? I had thought i needed the LSD additive and had read stuff on here about how some of the synthetics caused problems with the LSD.

If that's the case and it doesn't matter for my truck, I'll return the dyno and get regular non-LSD synthetic.

Can I get more than one confirmation on that (no offense I just don't know anybody here yet).

To Top