1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Quick help re: rack and pinion

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by sb1348, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Sep 13, 2011 at 1:36 PM
    sb1348

sb1348 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Took my Tacoma off roading just a bit last weekend, on the way home tapped the brakes at the interstate exit and a LOUD metal on metal, high pitched grinding squeal started. Drove slowly 2 miles home during which the noise continued through braking, acelerating, turning, etc. though it would cease for a second or two occasionally. It's very clearly coming from front passenger side wheel. Took it to the shop assuming it was a stuck caliper, brake pad damage or bearing out. They say it's my rack and pinion and want to replace that ($$$). They say it's separated on the driver's side. I have had absolutely no steering problems. Doesn't seem right to me - is it possible that's the problem?

2. Sep 13, 2011 at 1:40 PM
    Rebel Taco 22

Rebel Taco 22 mall crawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Parker
    Birmingham, AL
    Vehicle:
    04 taco 4x4 TRD Debadged
    Shrockworks front bumper Shrockworks sliders Tacoma sport rims painted grey 285/70/17 BFG KM2 AEM cold air intake Grey wire mod Donahoe/Icon coilovers 4crawler 1'' BL CBI cutbed rear bumper Bud-Built skids Inchworm e-locker skid
    Something similar has happened to me a few times, but it has just been a rock stuck in the brakes. It came out after a couple minutes. Seems kinda odd the shop said it was a rack and pinion.

3. Sep 13, 2011 at 2:44 PM
    sb1348

sb1348 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks - anyone out there who thinks rack and pinion is a logicl diagnosis???

4. Sep 13, 2011 at 2:59 PM
    okboatie1

okboatie1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrell
    Chula Vista, CA.
    Vehicle:
    03 PreRunner TRD SR5 DCSB
    OME 881's w/Dakar's, Deckplate mod, Debadged, door chime mod, 12V outlets always on,
    did you get the shop tech to show you what they were talking about? Did the shop tell you specifically what the issue was? I would get under there and see if you can find anything loose, damaged, leaking and go from there. IMO yes, it could be the R&P, BUT it could be a lot of things...

To Top