1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

QUICK oil change question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kbp68, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Dec 29, 2010 at 4:21 PM
    kbp68

kbp68 [OP] hey...I can change this!

Member:
    B.C.
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road DC/SB
    3" Pro Comp Lift/Level, ARB Winch Bumper, Superwinch UT3000,White Sport Grille, Bedliner'd rocker panels, Draw-Tite brake controller
    Just dropped the oil in my 4.0 and realized I don't have a new filter. Am I wasting 5.5quarts of synthetic by filling it and not changing the filter? Can the filter wait til my next trip into town or should I not bother until the next 5000k?

2. Dec 29, 2010 at 4:25 PM
    Yota Newb

Yota Newb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2010 5-Lug Regular Cab 2.7L 5 Speed
    If you regularly change your oil/filter you will be fine. I would put the new oil in and get a new filter asap just so you keep with regular maintenance schedules. I'm paranoid so I would probably plan on doing my next oil change sooner than I normally would. You can never be too careful.

3. Dec 29, 2010 at 4:30 PM
    Siren

Siren Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Angela
    Hampton, VA
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner SR5
    It ought to hold til your next trip in town. If you're just coming due with it (minus the new filter) you should be good for a while to go. But, as said, I wouldn't let it linger any longer than necessary if you can help it. Not like you'll lose a lot of oil by changing the filter to begin with, yes?

4. Dec 29, 2010 at 4:33 PM
    kbp68

Member:
    B.C.
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road DC/SB
    3" Pro Comp Lift/Level, ARB Winch Bumper, Superwinch UT3000,White Sport Grille, Bedliner'd rocker panels, Draw-Tite brake controller
    I change the oil every 5000KM (3200 miles) which is probably on the excessive side since the concensus on here seems to be 5000 MILES (8000 km)

Thanks for the quick reply.

5. Dec 29, 2010 at 4:37 PM
    jpmorrisvb

jpmorrisvb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2014 Barcelona Red TRD Off-Road PreRunner
    Clazzio seat covers, KB Voodoo Powder Coated Tailgate Cap, OEM running boards, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, 35% Tinted windows, EGR window vents, color matched door handles and tail gate lift, WeatherTech FloorLiners, OEM bed mat, sound dampening on rear wall and rear doors, on anytime foglight mod
    I am not trying to be a smart ass but ...... did you drain your oil, pour in new oil and then think about the filter?

I am just a bit confused, but as the others said you should be okay as long as you keep a good schedule.

6. Dec 29, 2010 at 5:02 PM
    jdtemple

jdtemple Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area CA
    Vehicle:
    08 DBLCAB LB TRD Sport
    Lift & Tires, in cab power outlets, Locking Bed Boxes, K&N
    been there, done that. thought I had a filter on the shelf, drained the oil, went to get new filter and realized it was for a car I didn't own anymore. Filled the oil, drove to auto parts store, got a new filter, and a few extra quarts of oil to replace the lost oil when swapping filters.

At least you don't have to crawl under and get messy all over again with the Tacoma.

7. Dec 29, 2010 at 5:14 PM
    DocD

DocD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mn./SoCal
    Vehicle:
    09 access cab
    Excellent Question!!!

A new filter and a FEW EXTRA QUARTS OF OIL TO REPLACE THE LOST OIL WHEN SWAPPING FILTERS, How big is that filter??????????
    Come on guys,,,,,,,,, changing oil is pretty basic, leaving the old filter on for a couple (extra) thousand miles isn't going to hurt anything, most of us change it to early anyway, (kinda reminds me of my BMW forum), those guys are really ANAL!!!Doc

8. Dec 29, 2010 at 5:25 PM
    jdtemple

jdtemple Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area CA
    Vehicle:
    08 DBLCAB LB TRD Sport
    Lift & Tires, in cab power outlets, Locking Bed Boxes, K&N
    Not every filter is in an ideal location, and some filters hold more oil than others. Even with some filters screwed to the "Top" of a mounting point, oil may still drain excessively.

Some filters look the same, even tho they aren't.

I didn't say I used all of the few extra quarts, but purchased in case they were needed.

On a side note, If you have never needed an extra quart of this, or gasket for that, or you have never misplaced a screw/nut/bolt while re-assembling something, I would feel honored to meet the perfect person and shake their hand.

People make mistakes, and usually the way to correct that is to slow down a little bit.

9. Dec 29, 2010 at 5:41 PM
    kbp68

Member:
    B.C.
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road DC/SB

Actually I had a filter in the cupboard that I thought was for the Tacoma but after I dropped the oil I realized it was for a vehicle that I no longer own. I usually keep a spare on the shelf as I live out in the sticks.

10. Dec 29, 2010 at 5:58 PM
    mountainwolfpup

mountainwolfpup Ford Guy (Formerly known as a Toyota Guy)

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Ford F150 Lariat FX4 3.5l Eco
    First month of ownership... This month I'm removing front air dam, and also Rhino lining the bed.
    I disagree.

It is in my opinion much more important to change the oil filter then the oil.

The filter is designed to catch debris (metal filings and the like) and trap them inside the filter saving your engine from harm. The filter has a designed lifespan of usability.

I would get a new filter. Drain your synthetic out. Install new filter and refill the synthetic oil back into engine.

11. Dec 29, 2010 at 6:00 PM
    rbeezy

rbeezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma SR5
    not sure, but wouldnt it be okay to change the oil filter since its right side up?

12. Dec 29, 2010 at 6:02 PM
    DocD

DocD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mn./SoCal
    Vehicle:
    09 access cab

I knew what ya meant, just giving you the busness, I'm on the older side and have made more mistakes then I care to remember, I usually try and not get to worked up over a mistake, most times I just chock it up to experience, " making no mistakes is a sign of experience, experience is gained from making mistakes" (something like that) Doc

13. Dec 29, 2010 at 6:07 PM
    darktaco

darktaco Active Member

Member:
    N.E. , Pa...U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    08/Sport
    scangauge/c.b.-cobra 29/ BO chrome badges/Demello bolt on sliders/rcbs 4x4 led mod/rear tsb / relocated trailer plug to plate light hole/ Toytec U.L.K./L.R. UCA's/AFE-pro-dry air filter/LEDS -plate,dome,map lites /rear diff breather/ImMrYo's mirror lift/redline hood lift,
    That's the ticket ..........

14. Dec 29, 2010 at 6:15 PM
    steviestyles

steviestyles The "Search" tab is your friend!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    Please correct me if I am worong, but how is oil going to drain out of the truck with a vertically mounted oil filter on top of the engine. I mean gravity works down not up???? Just let your truck sit for 30 minutes to allow the oil to drain back into the pan. The filter should only have a few ounces of oil in it. What's with the several quarts reference???? It's not like oil shoots out of your filler tube when you pull out the dip stick; so why would you expect to lose a lot of oil taking the filter off the 4.0? If your ADBV is worth a crap; oil coming out of your filter should be negligible. If you are losing a lot of oil from the filter, you might want to consider changing brands.

Also it depends on what brand of oil filter you are using. If you're using an el cheapo basic filter, I wouldn't press it past 3K; however the OP said he changes oil every 3200 miles. I would just swap out the filter anyways.

15. Dec 30, 2010 at 6:12 AM
    jpmorrisvb

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    Clazzio seat covers, KB Voodoo Powder Coated Tailgate Cap, OEM running boards, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, 35% Tinted windows, EGR window vents, color matched door handles and tail gate lift, WeatherTech FloorLiners, OEM bed mat, sound dampening on rear wall and rear doors, on anytime foglight mod
    Got ya ....

16. Dec 30, 2010 at 6:16 AM
    jpmorrisvb

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    Not to jack the OP's thread but help me out here guys.

I am guessing we are talking about a 6 cyl. Where is the location of the filter and how is it mounted?

I have a 4 banger. Thanks.

17. Dec 30, 2010 at 7:57 AM
    Truckn4life

Truckn4life Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Iowa City
    Vehicle:
    09 Black 4x4 Reg Cab SR5
    just drain a quart or two of oil into like a 2lt bottle. then change your filter it will just leak a bit of oil plus what is in the filter. put in new filter. pour in the oil you just drained. run your truck and check oil level. it should be good and might need a half quart or so.

easy as pie.
    and im pretty sure you can hook a small tube to the nipple on the oil filter guard to drain the oil from the filter out so you dont spill oil.

and change your oil filter. is a max $20 worth saving a few grand?

18. Dec 30, 2010 at 11:53 AM
    twfsa

twfsa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Omaha Ne
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4
    881 Front coils, Bilstien 5100's all the way front set to "0" Icon Dynamic's mini leafs in rear, stock tires.
    You wasted the synethic oil, just as well run it till the next oil change its already contaminated, never install new oil with a old filter.

19. Dec 30, 2010 at 12:11 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Do you have a particular source that states what that designed lifespan is? The reason I ask is that in some vehicles I have owned, the oil filter was only specified to be changed every other oil change.

20. Dec 30, 2010 at 12:21 PM
    steviestyles

steviestyles The "Search" tab is your friend!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    Why do you need to drain the oil??? The filter is mounted on top of the block. No oil outside of the filter should drain out.

Products Discussed in

To Top