1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Quick oil change shop Poll: (places like JiffyLube)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Truckn4life, Dec 11, 2010.

?

Do Jiffylube type places actually change your oil?

1. I doubt they change my oil, filter, or use full synthetic when I pay for it.

83 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. I think they change my oil just not with full synthetic.

40 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. I think most of the time they perform the service you pay for.

191 vote(s)
    53.2%
  4. I know they perform the serivces you pay for and do a good job.

45 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. Dec 30, 2010 at 10:21 AM
    JDMrolla

JDMrolla Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    06 Black DCab TRD off road 4x4
    its really just the retarded lazy teenagers that they hire not the actual shop itself

2. Dec 30, 2010 at 4:46 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Err.......it's low because the pads are half worn out and the caliper pistons have moved out farther to self adjust........more brake fluid in the calipers now.......less in the reservoir......top off the fluid and all is well.....until the pads wear completely out and the wear indicators start squeaking against the rotors....duh! :D

Or possibly there is a leak in the system....but it seems like an inspection would be in order before a Jiffy Lube employee or anyone else should be telling me that my brakes are going to fail from adding a little fluid.:stirthepot:

3. Jan 20, 2011 at 4:16 AM
    TACOMA TRD

TACOMA TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM SPORT DC 4x4
    Alpine HU, Apline 6.5 3 way Speakers, Access Cover.
    Ok, I went to the toyota dealer by my house because when i purchased my camry the first oil change was free. My wife felt like the car was sluggish, not too noticeable though. After about a 1000 miles I checked the oil and found out it was over filled by 2 quarts.

I took it back and instead of changing the oil, they decided to just drain some. Well, i get home and check again and find out its short a quart. The only full proof way is to do it yourself.

4. Jan 20, 2011 at 4:45 AM
    COACHPPARK

COACHPPARK Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JC
    ST. PETERSBURG
    Vehicle:
    2024 CELESTIAL SILVER METALLIC TRD SPORT
    TINTED ALL WINDOWS, SOME GRILLE BADGES,
    BE AFRAID...BE VERY AFRAID....

THEN RUN LIKE HELLLLLLLLLLLLL

5. Jan 20, 2011 at 5:12 AM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    I don't think they do a good job of it, but they usually do what you paid for: oil and filter.

Sometimes the grease monkey won't read the order right and will put regular oil in. If your plan is to run an extended drain interval on synthetic, you lose.

VERY infrequently the top side guy fails to wait for the pit guy to say it 's ready to fill and puts oil in without the drain plug and starts it. When the light doesn't go out, he tells the pit guy to check it who THEN puts the drain plug in. Fill it again, but too late: it idled for a minute or so with no oil pressure until he shut down. You lose a lot of bearing life and never know it.

Almost always they way over-torque the drain plug and oil filter. The gasket sometimes splits and you got a dripping leak. The threads in the pan will strip in time and you have to put in an oversize or, worse, replace the pan. The filter is a pain to get off when you do the oil change later... plan on the screwdriver technique to get it off.

Sometimes they leave the filler cap off, it falls to the ground and gets lost. (This is the only one you need to share the blame for...you should ABSOLUTELY check everything before leaving their lot! ESPECIALLY oil level!)

But what about the other services? How many times do you think they put windshield cleaner fluid in the radiator overflow bottle?

6. Jan 20, 2011 at 5:15 AM
    buddywh1

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    I understand your frustration: but really that's the least of things that could go wrong. I wouldn't even move it from where they left it without checking oil level first...if it's not between the lines, call him right back out.

7. Jan 20, 2011 at 7:54 AM
    Truckn4life

Truckn4life [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Iowa City
    Vehicle:
    09 Black 4x4 Reg Cab SR5
    I am starting to think many of you have only changed the oil on your truck and car. Is it newer?

I am not saying black oil doesnt work. But if you poured oil it into your motor and it isn't black, then you change it 3,000 miles later and its pitch black. Your motor oil has picked up lots of dirt and crap. It isnt manufactured to change color on you. Its black b/c of shit in your motor.

When I change my truck oil. I pour in 0-20 synth. and when I empty it for the next change it is not pitch black. Yes, it is darker but I can still see light through it. Now, I have noticed that when I drove gravel roads everyday my oil would turn black quicker. It seems to me that oil color does tell you something. I am not saying black oil it isnt working to lubricate your motor and collect particles to deposit in the filter. But, I mean the blacker the oil the dirtier it is. I dont see how you can argue that the color is not due to particles and carbon in your oil.

Anyone else get very black oil after changing their oil on a regular basis? Where do you live, what roads do you drive, do you buy the expensive filter?

8. Jan 20, 2011 at 8:57 AM
    buddywh1

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    The 'black' is combustion by-products...if it's in the oil then the detergent addy pack is doing the job it was designed to do which is hold it in suspension. All else equal, if it isn't black then it's coming out of suspension and accumulating in the nooks and crannys of the motor contributing to formation of what is affectionately known as sludge.

So another way to say it... draining oil is black because of shit NO LONGER in the motor. I prefer it that way.

I've never owned one, but I'm told that diesels get blackER, quickER, because they blow-by so much more... makes sense to me since they generate so much greater particulate emissions too.

9. Jan 20, 2011 at 8:59 AM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    The dealer gave me 2 years of oil changes or something... who has time to be letting someone else change their oil.

But as for what they do if you let em.. conspiracy theory much?

10. Jan 20, 2011 at 9:02 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Oil color tells you a lot. Thats why I like doing my oil changes.

1. Color of the oil very depends on quality of fuel you are using. Fuel contains BIOmass, higher octane more refined fuel from better gas station will have it less Biomass.
    Crappy fuel low octane is pretty much bottom of the tank and will generate a lot of burn off. Oil filters do nto filter 100% because they would get clogged pretty much immediately. They filter biggest particles and tiny ones supposed to burn off but if you running crappy fuel they never do. Thus resulting in pitch black oil with consistency of liquid asphalt.
    EDIT: Anybody knows somebody with propane powered engine. Check their oil, its goign to be sparkling clean even after long run.

2. Color of the oil also depends on quality of oil filters. Better oil filters will remove more particles and hold them until change. If filter is "full" then bypass valve will open or there will be spots in filter media allowing bigger particles to pass through. Crappy filters will allow bigger particles to go around engine thus allowing oil to turn pitch black.

3. Oil quality also affects color. There is always some oil burning off but with crappy oil there will be much more getting burned and scorched. Bad oil will not clean and bond carbon to bigger chunks for oil filter to pick them up. Again result is pitch black oil.

When you do own oil changes you find exact mileage, fuel, filter and oil to be used. My changes are around 5 K on Taco 10-15 K on Minivan (its running 0W-40) and oil that comes out is dark but not pitch black, probably I could have made double mileage on it with out changing but why risk it.

11. Jan 20, 2011 at 9:06 AM
    jking3002

jking3002 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    Scion tC
    Ricer muffler, window tent, trd shift knob.
    You are so dead on about over-torquing the filter. They usually don't do it by hand, I think that is why they are so tight.

I once did a DIY oil change on a my used Saturn SL1 that a quick-lube place was the last to service, and NOTHING would get that filter off. Not even the screw driver method. I tried so hard to torque that screw driver that the metal oil filter RIPPED in half. I was in shock.

I think Jiffy-Lubes depend so much on the owner. They are all independent. The one in my hometown is HORRIBLE. Techs are clueless, they don't vacuum the interior worth a crap, they are slow, it is very expensive, etc.

I went to one off Yadkin Rd. in Fayetteville, NC, and although it was busy it was TOP NOTCH. Didn't try to up-sell me. Realized my air filter was a drop in and recommended I give 'er a cleaning. Use quality oil filters, and DATE them on each change. Clean your interior very well! At least as good as my DIY vacuuming skills. They don't even try to rip you off with that 3,000 miles BS. They give you a sticker for your manufactures interval (5k for our trucks). Overall I'd say a good quicklube that you develop a relationship with and check their work can be awesome, can save a lot of time and is convenient . Most of them are PURE CRAP though.

12. Jan 20, 2011 at 9:52 AM
    buddywh1

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    Wow...that's a lotta biomass :rolleyes:

13. Jan 30, 2011 at 10:59 PM
    novataco

novataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NOLA
    Vehicle:
    06 Sport V6 auto
    Aries bull bar, Lund grill screen, blackened h/l, Weathertech plastic all over, Access LE tonneau, window tint, tube steps, DF-Toy aux adapter, cig plug always on, console vault, hitch step, 1700 watt in-cab inverter and dual battery (in-progress), Delta bike hitch mounts
    I based my vote on the two times I have used 5 minute oil change in the New Orleans area. I can't see what's going on underneath but I do get to sit in my truck and they talk nice to me and work fast.

Oil change is not rocket science. Change please. Thank you. (And they call me "Mr. Gerald," my first name, which is a very NOLA thing.)

14. Mar 13, 2011 at 6:39 PM
    StormTrooper

StormTrooper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    08 Base Flowmaster Super 44 w/ K&N drop in
    Bed Cap,K&N Air Filter,Chrome Pieces,Flowmaster Exhaust,Neon on inside, Heavy Duty Custom Floormats ( Tacoma ), Tint 20%, Blue license plate lights, Various decals, LED Projector Halos headlights, JVC head unit stereo
    My buddys first job was/still is working at an oil place.. yes they train you at this facility but i DO NOT trust him at all.. i just recently started changing my own oil. My vote woul be i dont trust them; you never know who is back there working on your prized possesion.

15. Mar 13, 2011 at 6:42 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    I dont trust them and dont use them. Not that I wouldn't as long as I see who is doing the work. (grown up, not some teenager) I have a buddy that is a very good shade tree mechanic, he learned a lot from his father and I would trust him with my vehicle for just about anything. With that said, back when he was just out of high school, him a couple of his buddy's worked together at a jiffy lube type place and he got to telling me stories about working there one day and I was shocked! Coming from him, the one person I would trust more than just about anyone with my truck. He told me how they clowned around on the job, not a big deal, but he proceeded to tell me that if they were swamped they would only change the oil and not the filter, sometimes just top them off if they were low etc. I could not believe my ears! So based on this, I would have to see who is working before I'd trust them. My friend, I know was just being an irresponsible teenager and being influenced by his buddy's, but it just goes to show what kind of stuff you can run into at these places.

16. Mar 13, 2011 at 6:58 PM
    Polymerhead

Polymerhead Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Limited Inferno...Tundra!
    I know of one transmission ruined by JL firsthand - they drained the TF instead of the oil, then overfilled the oil. The manager DID accept responsibility though. Expensive mistake on their part.

And I don't remember who it was, but one of the investigative shows did a story on JL not changing ATF when they sold the service. I remember at least 1 out of 4 stores being nailed by hidden cameras not changing the ATF, which is like a $90 service.

17. Mar 13, 2011 at 10:45 PM
    big dog

big dog Hug balls bitch

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4X4
    OME 3" k&n cai magnaflow muffler all pro front bumper 4x innovations rock sliders moto metal wheels with 33" Bridgestone dueler revo 2 AT tires
    i was a manager of a quick lube place in vegas before i found out you can get payed to do nothing for the most part thay do a good job and give you what you pay for

18. May 27, 2011 at 11:59 AM
    Quad D

Quad D Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Quad
    Colorado, from CA, lived in TX, ID, and MT also.
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma stock, dbl cab, 4x4, short bed, SR5
    Worked at quikie lube spot for a short time. We ALWAYS changed the oil, with the right oil, changed the filter, and ACTUALLY vacuumed the car/truck and washed the windows....that being said things can go wrong. While I worked there 2....TWO....vehicles actually caught fire after driving a few blocks down the road!!!! Some dork forgot to washdown the engine after spilling oil everywhere. Surprisingly never was a huge deal!
    I'd much rather do my own fluid changes and maint. though on ANYTHING really. No one else is EVER going to treat your truck like it was theirs. So mistakes WILL be made, just hopefully not with your truck. But the more often you have others work on your vehicle the more likely something will go wrong. JMO

19. May 27, 2011 at 5:03 PM
    morrison14

morrison14 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    11 DC PreRunner SR5
    starting soon......
    I took my car to a quik lube joint in high school, and they didn't put any oil back in after they drained it. Blown head gasket! Thank god is was a crappy old civic, but I learned my lesson at 16.

20. May 27, 2011 at 8:16 PM
    leveltwo

leveltwo Well-Known Member

Member:
    i hate those places, i will never go to one again

Products Discussed in

To Top