1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Quick Q: Pros & Cons of yellow vs white for ditch lights?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Planespotting, Jan 19, 2023.

1. Jan 19, 2023 at 10:16 AM
    Planespotting

Planespotting [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Miles
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5 V6 DCSB, '74 FJ40, 05 Ducati Multistrada S
    Decals!
    I'm working on my lighting and will be picking up a 30" light bar for below the grille and just bought a pair of Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport yellow fogs. Would yellow be beneficial for ditch lights as well? If I have ditch lights should I bother with a combo pattern light bar or just go straight driving pattern?

Thanks

HondaGM likes this.
  2. Jan 19, 2023 at 10:22 AM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    Driving at the moment. I'll punch out a small novel here in a bit!

TRDPRO68, ToyoTaco25, mtip and 2 others like this.
  3. Jan 19, 2023 at 10:39 AM
    vicali

vicali Touch my camera through the fence

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Kam,BC
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport 1D6
    I have Squadrons in the fog pockets with yellow combo lenses, and then Squadrons on ditch lights with spot lenses and yellow rock covers.

Drive mostly back roads in elk country and ski nights. Having yellow on all the lights make driving in snow awesome. I find driving with the lights white make my eyes tired after a few hours.

Combo and Driving patterns are a similar lens.

Squirt likes this.
  4. Jan 19, 2023 at 10:44 AM
    Squirt

Squirt Certified in forklifts and meme stealing =)

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Cornfields of Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2016 F150 Lariat with 3.5L of fury!!
    Rexing front and rear dash camera, some LEDs, Weathertech HP floor liners/vent shades/bug deflector/underseat storage bin, OEM Ford bed mat, Diode Dynamics SS3 Pros in selective yellow, Diode Dynamics 18" light bar in amber and universal Carhartt seat covers. Bak Revolver X4S tonneau cover. Android Auto USB plug upgrade! H11 to H9. Sound deadened/insulated floors and rear wall. VLED license plate reverse light. Yokohama GO15s. Rokblokz mud flaps. Flowmaster Super 50 Series with stock resonator.
    My mom and I have DD SS3 Pro yellow fog lights on our cars. The yellow color us great for driving in incitement weather like fog or snow. It's much easier on your eyes than white lights. Her Ascent came with LED fogs and headlights and when I put the yellow SS3s on it it was much nicer driving at night in bad weather.

5. Jan 19, 2023 at 11:55 AM
    memario1214

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    I had a novella punched up, but then realized that I have questions for you first.
    1. What brand of light bar are you putting below the grille? Also what pattern is it?
    2. Assuming you're going to be going with DD for A-pillar lights as well what power level are you budgeting for?

6. Jan 19, 2023 at 11:59 AM
    anthemAnathema

anthemAnathema Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 4.0 6MT Access Cab TRD Offroad
    Elka 2.5 w/ DSC RCI Skids AP Expedition Leafs Leer 180
    It doesn't matter which color, they'll look stupid either way.

7. Jan 19, 2023 at 12:07 PM
    SR-71A

SR-71A Define "Well-Known Member"

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB, TX Baja Edition. Barcelona Red
    255/85/R16 Falken Wildpeak MTs, Mobtown sliders, ARB bar, SOS front skid, Icon RXT leafs, extended & adjustable Kings, JBA UCAs, OVS wedge RTT, dual AGM batteries, Gen2 xrc9.5 winch, CB, GMRS, S1 ditch lights...
    Wow, what a well written and helpful post :facepalm:

8. Jan 19, 2023 at 12:18 PM
    memario1214

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    A quick peek at his other posts would indicate that being a tool is his standard operating procedure.

9. Jan 19, 2023 at 12:40 PM
    Too Stroked

Too Stroked Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    South shore of Lake Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner SR5 Premium
    This may help you make your decision on color:

Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

It'll also save Colton some typing. :rofl:

10. Jan 19, 2023 at 12:44 PM
    jlemmond

jlemmond Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    josh
    Monroe, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 GX470
    I much prefer amber over the alternative. I've got DD SS3'S as fogs and ditch lights. All amber.

Also running a stage series bar with amber fog lenses.

Squirt likes this.
  11. Jan 19, 2023 at 12:48 PM
    4ast4orward

4ast4orward Well-Known Member

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma DCSB 4x4
    I opted for yellow fog lights for this reason wish i would have done yellow ditch lights at the same time, they really help for night snow driving.

Squirt likes this.
  12. Jan 19, 2023 at 1:36 PM
    anthemAnathema

anthemAnathema Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 4.0 6MT Access Cab TRD Offroad
    Elka 2.5 w/ DSC RCI Skids AP Expedition Leafs Leer 180
    <finger guns> you got it, bro

13. Jan 19, 2023 at 6:06 PM
    Toy_Runner

Toy_Runner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    99 4Runner SR5
    3" OME lift, heavy coils f/r 3/16" steel skids Modified Coastal Offroad diy bumper 5spd swap ('98 donor)
    At night, with minimal urban lighting and/or traffic (high kelvin white/blue headlamps), after a while you'll realize yellow lamps don't even look "yellow" anymore. Almost all colors/shades will appear very close to "normal," excepting anything blue (as the blue is heavily filtered to allow green and red to make the yellow color).

I've modified several of my past vehicles to selective yellow for the headlamps (not legal, lots of tickets). It's very very easy on the eyes, and everything looks completely normal until you have something "white" or blue wavelength heavy to suddenly remind you. I'll be picking selective yellow for my driving lamps, despite the attention it may bring.

memario1214 likes this.
  14. Jan 19, 2023 at 7:21 PM
    Planespotting

Member:
    First Name:
    Miles
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    Decals!
    1. Most likely going the DD route for the bar. Seems to be the right mix of performance vs price. I don't have the discretionary $ I used to, so no Baja.
    2. Same here, most likely DD for the pillar lights. These may turn out to be the most useful addition for my U.P. trips so I may try to budget my way in to the pro instead of the sport for the pillar/ditch lights. I was already fairly convinced I'd go yellow for these as well and this thread has kind of sealed the deal for me.

As aAa mentioned they will look kinda dumb but it ain't about looks. I spend enough time not at the mall for it to be about function.

15. Jan 20, 2023 at 9:35 AM
    memario1214

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    So @Toy_Runner definitely knows his stuff so I won't argue head-on, but I'll definitely inject a little bit of my personal experience into the fray! :D

I have found that I prefer yellow lighting for my near-field, and as the requested visibility distance increases that white has served me better for obstacle identification. That said, let's say you go ALL yellow. It's still CONSIDERABLY more light projecting forward than what your OEM headlamps are producing, regardless of the color output. There's also a couple other perks to it which I'll discuss below.

Here would be my recommendation for you to fill everything out based upon what I think I know of your use case:
    Light Bar - Amber combo - This will provide you some down-field "punch" and fill out your midfield a bit if you have it aimed dead ahead. The only downside to this is that if you are a stickler for aesthetics the light bar when off will appear more orange than the yellow of your SS3 fogs. The reason for this is that the light bars use a 6000k emitter whereas the yellow fogs use a 4000k emitter. However, the output color temperatures are the same.

A-Pillar Lights - SS3 Pro Yellow - Driving Pattern - So the SS3 pro utilizes a physically larger chip than the SS3 Sport/Max. As a result it provides a little "softer" of a pattern than the other power levels. I would aim these straight ahead, but slightly off-center. Have the edges of these lights just barely meet in the middle of the road (think Venn diagram) and have most of the pattern pointing at the 11 and 1 o'clock positions. You'll find that this pattern will spread out into the ditch pretty well. You'll minimize light splashing onto the hood by running a tighter pattern, and will also be able to leverage the higher angle of approach to the roadbed to minimize dark pools out in front of you. The last cool thing about starting with the yellow light is that if you swap into a clear lens later you'll get the buttery white 4000k output which is REALLY like.

Shameless plug here but we have all of this stuff available here at Hotshot Offroad and would be happy to help :thumbsup:

16. Jan 20, 2023 at 6:31 PM
    Planespotting

Member:
    First Name:
    Miles
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    Decals!
    Dude that ditch light aiming tip is very well put. Picturing it like a venn diagram is perfect. I appreciate the input and will be returning the favor when I'm ready for my next purchase. It looks like you've got suspension stuff too and I'm going to go to Bilstein 5100s at some point in the future as well. Plus I might need some lighting for my FJ40 this spring. But, I kind of have my heart set on some old S.E.V. Marchal round fogs for that.

Products Discussed in

To Top