1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Quick question concerning leaf springs!!!!!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by zeeya2000, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Apr 13, 2011 at 4:20 PM
    Sheppymach

Sheppymach Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sheppy
    Philadelphia, Pa
    Vehicle:
    2014 4Runner trail edition
    BLU LOGIC bt, avid, weather tech mats & rain guards, 285/70/17, BenWA's totally AWESOME power sliding window mod.
    with my 600 lb bike, 2 kids, wife and I the truck felt like it always has. it was a little stiffer but absolutly nothing that anyone complained about. I think it drove great

2. Apr 14, 2011 at 6:35 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    I done know about 2gen but I think flipping overload can end up cracking stock leafs on 1gen. (not that they don't crack on its own)

3. Apr 15, 2011 at 1:33 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

Bro', you had to get more than an inch even with saggy ass springs, the overload alone is right at an inch thick, add to that the degree of arc & I'd say you were closer to 3" <<<<< That brings up an issue maybe, where they make contact under the rest of your leafs, you've probably eliminated a fair amount of any kind of progressive spring rate, those stock leafs being so soft anyway they can't compress normally over the now upturned overload, meaning, if you hit anything that bottoms you out (actually it wouldn't even need to bottom out) those springs & all that energy are going to start to compress & then there going to hit that overload (which isn't going to budge probably) & theres a good chance of either bending or breaking (likely) some leafs.....

But I just noticed that your 2nd. gen. & your overload isn't nearly as arc'd as mines is , so maybe 2" is more like it , but my theory above is still in effect.....

;);)

4. Apr 15, 2011 at 6:41 PM
    The Munster

The Munster I like turtles!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Lance
    Moody AFB, GA
    Can we remove the overload spring??? I got allpro expedition springs going on and that's all the lift I need

5. Apr 15, 2011 at 7:58 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

Sure, you can take it off, I did on mine ,I don't do any kind of heavy hauling very often.

I just rebuilt my stock springs adding 2 Ford springs to each side, dumped the overload, disconnected the brakeline clip from frame, carefully uncoiled about 6" of rigid brake line, pushed it back thru hole in frame so now it floats unrestricted with the axle while flexing & it also compensates for the 3" lift I got out of it & I was able to reuse my stock U bolts (barely any noticeable thread stretch)

Most here will just buy the name brand (flavor of the month) & call it good, personally I'd rather keep my $350-$400 in the bank & spend $40 to get the same/better result...;)

6. Apr 16, 2011 at 6:26 AM
    The Munster

The Munster I like turtles!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Lance
    Moody AFB, GA
    Reason I ask is cause I got heavy duty springs already

7. Apr 16, 2011 at 7:49 AM
    Sheppymach

Sheppymach Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sheppy
    Philadelphia, Pa
    Vehicle:
    2014 4Runner trail edition
    BLU LOGIC bt, avid, weather tech mats & rain guards, 285/70/17, BenWA's totally AWESOME power sliding window mod.
    4WD, the overload on my 2011 was almost straight with a very slight arc. I measured before and after and there was mabe 1"-1/8 difference from before to after. The ride is the same as before I flipped just slightly firmer. My only concern is when fully overloaded with weight the upper 3 would get to a point and break @ overload but as of now it is good. I picked up another 750 yesterday and had both bikes on the trailer so about 1250 lbs & trailer and It was a nice ride home. If you were any closer then across the country id let you try it out.

Products Discussed in

To Top