1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Quick Question for LEO's

Discussion in 'Law Enforcement Officers' started by meatman, Aug 25, 2011.

1. meatman

meatman [OP] I deal with dead animals

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Murphy N.C.
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma TRD SR5
    More than the wife knows!
    I was just wondering if you all feel it is O.K. to go and sit down for a meal during your shift and get the meal for free. The reason I ask this is that my wife constantly see our local LEO's at resturants eating for free (she is the health inspector for our county). Although the owners of the resturants always offer her free meals, it is unethical for her to take them up on the offer. I was wondering if this happens all the time or is this the way it is around here? I would care for your feedback.

2. CanisLupus

CanisLupus Previously "MGMTacoFF"

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB 4WD
    - Click Signature for Build Thread -
    I don't know about LEO's, but most restaurants I go to on duty for Fire give good discounts. But free, I don't know.

3. rsbmg

rsbmg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vista,CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Doublecab TRD Offroad
    Front Aluminum bumper by Relentless Fab. Smittybuilt Winch Complete set of skids by ATO TC UCA's Fox Ext. Travel Front Reservoirs.
    Depends on Department policy.

4. was209

was209 Member

Member:
    Kingfield, Maine
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    Don't do it! Ethical issue that can bite you later....

5. 97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc

like what? what do you mean?

if i was offered a free meal, i would take it but i wouldnt go in expecting it.

if i owned a restraunt and i wasnt cutting it close on cash i would offer police offers/fire fighters/emts free meals. or a discount.

JMO though

6. horwitzs

horwitzs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Dayton, WA
    Vehicle:
    TX Pro
    Supercharger, OME lift w/ LR UCAs, running boards, toolbox, extinguisher mount, skidplate, N-Fab light bar, 40" R.I. LED bar, WO seat covers, TRD intake, Weathertech mats and visors, stubby antenna, hood struts, LED interior lighting, Hella Supertones, and other stuff I'm forgetting.
    I'm not a LEO but have them in my family...
    I don't think it's right for them to take free meals. Discount or maybe free soda or coffee with meal, ok maybe that's alright.
    On the other hand, if I were a restaurant owner, I'd probably offer something free because I'd be very happy to keep LEOs around my store.

7. meatman

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Murphy N.C.
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma TRD SR5
    I think my wifes issue with it is that they will only eat in only the places that they know they will get free food ( not that any of them need it ) lol. Heck we have to go out of the county and eat so this issue would not arise, and she dont want to give the impression that she favours one resturant over another. Plus we can eat in PEACE and no one asks work questions

8. EdubSam

EdubSam Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Pasco, WA
    Ethical issues arise when someone who gave the officer free food or whatever gets out of a ticket, arrest, ect where someone that hasn't given the officer anything gets a ticket. That's a real good way to get fired or cause a lawsuit. Most departments don't let their guys and gals accept gratuities.

9. meatman

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Murphy N.C.
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma TRD SR5
    The most my wife would take is a glass of water.

10. uood8

uood8 If You Search...You Shall Find.

Member:
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    '14 4x4 OFFROAD DC
    AFE Intake, URD MAF Calibrator
    Our department policy states that you shall not accept more than a 50% discount IIRC....however most gas stations give coffee/fountain drinks for free. Using common sense is the best policy....abusing a discount is the quickest way to get it taken away.

11. tigerfan00

tigerfan00 BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Thor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Dunkin Donuts
    Vehicle:
    02 TRD 4x4
    This

Tho sometimes it's not an option...There are several restaurants within my jurisdiction and assigned region

Most of these offer discounts or free food and occasionally time dictates which restaurant i eat at

For example, Taco Bell offers free food to anyone in uniform on duty...I ONLY eat there if its after 10pm and I'm dying of starvation

Chic-Fil-A offers free food from 9-10pm when other places have already closed

Due to various reasons, the other late night places are no-go

I ALWAYS offer to pay, even if I know it's free...and I've tried leaving cash on the counter but it gets returned to me

Dayshift, obviously there are more options and I can avoid the free places, but night shift is difficult

12. Maticuno

Maticuno Weapon Mechanic

Member:
    California High Deserts
    Vehicle:
    08 DCLB Sport
    Pioneer AVIC-D3, SWI-PS, Sirius Satellite Radio, 2X In-Cab 110V Outlets, Constant Fog Light Mod, Inverter Always 400W Mod, Anti-Pack-Rat-In-Intake Mod, Eibachs on 5100's, 2" Toytec AAL, B.A.M.F Rear Diff Skid, 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler Authority tires
    I always try to pay. There is a restaurant by our district office that is always swarmed with LEO's and Firefighters and they give food free or very discounted. I just make sure I leave a tip equal to the total of the order. I was confused the first time I went through a Taco Bell drive through and they told me at the second window that I didn't owe anything...

13. k9cop

k9cop if your not the lead dog, the view never changes

Member:
    First Name:
    Farva
    Floriduh
    Vehicle:
    10 tacoma dbl cab trd off road prerunner
    CST 3.5" spindles, King 2.5 rr ,All Pro Expo's, Ext. Billy 5100's rear, Ext rear All Pro brake lines, LR UCA's, debadged, Cobra 29,2ft firestick, satoshi by jim, ARB front bumper, Smittybuilt xrc8 winch, wethatecs, bhlm also by jimbob, belgium malinois and German Shepherd in bed
    I personally don't have an issue with officers accepting a free meal. We don't have a policy reguarding the issue other than no bars and no more than 3 cars at the resaraunt. We have thousands of places to eat in orlando. Police officers in this area work 12hr shifts and are hard working. most officers take between 150 and 200 calls for service each month with an additional 100 plus traffic contacts. Time to eat is at a premium. Most places love to have officers in thier restaraunt. provides the touristers a sense of security in an unfamilair town. Plus we give out directions most of the time and it's cheap security. touristers also think if the police eat there it must be good and safe. however, as with most departments we have officers that abuse the priviledge or leave crappy tips. The free food goes away. Most places here realize that and don't offer free food but discount heavily. I never expect a free meal and never eat where I get one. I always leave a tip on what the bill should be and not what it is then, i add a couple more bucs. Our rule of thumb is always have enough money to pay full fare when you go out to eat or bring your food. For me my food rotting in my car, even in a cooler in the hot florida sun after 12hrs is not appetizing. wether or not an officer gives someone a ticket or not is up to the officer. There is nothing that says we have to give a ticket or don't have to give a ticket, reguardless of weather or not a meal was given or not. Quota's are illegal. Nobody can tell an officer to give someone a ticket or not.

14. Jon850FL

Jon850FL is Lurkin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    DFS, FL
    i pay for my food, but i like the discounts on clothes and getting into clubs.

15. yotamikez

yotamikez Street glide or die

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Valrico
    Vehicle:
    04 civic & 08 Street glide
    I used to work at a resturaunt and my manager told us to always comp the cops meals and fire fighters too. I think its cool. I have no issue with it. There is a sub station behind the resturaunt and they always send a car over to watch the closer take the deposite to the bank.

16. k9cop

k9cop if your not the lead dog, the view never changes

Member:
    First Name:
    Farva
    Floriduh
    Vehicle:
    10 tacoma dbl cab trd off road prerunner
    CST 3.5" spindles, King 2.5 rr ,All Pro Expo's, Ext. Billy 5100's rear, Ext rear All Pro brake lines, LR UCA's, debadged, Cobra 29,2ft firestick, satoshi by jim, ARB front bumper, Smittybuilt xrc8 winch, wethatecs, bhlm also by jimbob, belgium malinois and German Shepherd in bed
    Thanks Bro. It is much appreciated!!!!

17. carcharias

carcharias Giggiddy what what

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    Kings all-around w/ 700lb coils, Dakar leaf pack, TC uca's, DO single hoop bumper, BAMF bolt-on sliders w/ kickouts, Rigid 20" e-series spot/flood, aFe pro-dry, BFG KM2 255/85/16, silver TRD FJ wheels, WARN M8000-s, Access LE, Grillcraft, BAMF lightbar, BAMF rear dif skid, BAMF LCA skids, window tint, Wet Okoles, WeatherTech floorliners, Silverstar lights, led dome lights, Redline Tuning hood struts, center console lock mod, mag-lite mod, extra d-rings, re-routed exhaust, ATO skids, ATO Hi-Lift mounts, pipe tailgate lock, seatbelt alarm delete, wheel/spare locks, Viper 5901, LoJack... WISHLIST: a golden canary that poops platinum
    I'm not LEO, but I don't have issues with it either. They put their lives on the line for us, so showing a bit of gratitude in that manner is nice. It also means, for the store owner, that any potential thieves will move on to the next place since it's an establishment frequented by the popo. If they were constantly getting $100 meals, then that might be another story. Good question, though.

18. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    09 Pre-Runner
    It was and is against my Departments policy but it really wasn't worth getting into a discussion with the cashier etc. at the cafe. My training Officers taught me to leave money on the table to cover not only the meal, but the tip as well. What the waitress decided to do with the money was not my concern.

Ray

19. fireturk41

fireturk41 I like to break shit!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
    not police but fd

my fd has no guidelines or stipulations to discounts, some of the members abuse it and go to places asking for one or just go to the places that offer one

my personal view and if i ever become a company officer the rule that will apply to my crew is dont go expecting a dicount and you dont ask for one, however if it is offered to you and isnt, too generous accept it, if its "beyond acceptable means" politely decline

20. BBtundra

BBtundra Member

Member:
    Seen them eat "free of charge" but then leave a hefty tip so guess it evens out

To Top