1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

quick questions on towing

Discussion in 'Towing' started by Peru, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Oct 10, 2011 at 10:20 PM
    Peru

Peru [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    SR5
    none
    well as usual i am down to the wire and ive left the best for the last min.

I need to tow a 6X12 down to puebla mexico from seattle washington at close to the capacity of the trailer 3500lbs

I am installing electric brakes and i have a few questions. I know the search feature works fine but as anyone who has moved and waited till the last min to do the important stuff knows this kind of opperation can be crazy. Add to the fact that I am moving out of the country and well you get the picture.

I am going with the 10" auto adjust system with a time based controller

http://www.easternmarine.com/Impulse-Universal-Brake-Controller-47235/

now there are other options out there and unless some one can think of a real good reason not to buy this combo then this is what i am goint to purchase.

The issue with the controller is that it does not come set-up to plug into the taco harness. yes i can hard wire but id rather have the option to remove when needed. My truck came with a connector which if i remember correctly looks like it fit the connector under the dash. mine has disappeard. how hard is it to hard wire and why can i not seem to find this connector on the web. ive heard that it only costs about 20 bucks but the seller of the electric brake system knows nothing about it and i cant find it. or should i just not worry and hard wire and stuff it under the dash when not in use.

also, on a trip like this how often do i need to grease the bearings. my set up uses an ez-lub system. I know what grease to use but i dont like the idea of pumping it full and generating too much heat yet i dont want to be running through the desert at 90F at 60mph for hrs on end and having the ez-lub system bleed out grease. is this sytem solid or does it have any quirks that i should know about. i am installing the triple lip seals

BTW -- this trailer is new to me plus i dont have much trailer expeirience so any comments are much appriciated.

thanks

j

2. Oct 11, 2011 at 12:56 PM
    Peru

Member:
    Redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    SR5
    none
    To be honest I never considered it since in my infinit wisdom I assum that it's easier to instal electric. I don't like the idea of taping into brake lines but then again I am probably wrong

Cost is a factor

btw -- what you say about the wheel bearings and lubrication make sence

3. Oct 13, 2011 at 2:03 AM
    Peru

Member:
    Redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    SR5
    none
    Yep

I looked into it and I am going hydraulic

Thanks for steering me in this direction. Everytime I asked anyone about
    Trailer brakes they said electric so I assumed that was the way to go
    I have so much going on right now with the move that the brakes are at the bottom
    Of the list

4. Oct 13, 2011 at 7:16 AM
    sechsgang

sechsgang Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD OR 4WD 6spd
    I like the idea of hydraulic brakes.
    Be aware though that you can't activate the trailer brakes only (independent of the vehicle brakes) which comes in handy to stop the trailer from swaying if that would ever happen.

To Top