1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

R09sters Kinda Overland/First Taco (learning lots of stuff) Build

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by R09ster, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Jun 17, 2017 at 11:58 AM
    R09ster

R09ster [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    OK
    Vehicle:
    06 SSM DCSB TRD Sport
    debadged, Bilstein 5100 all around (fronts at 1.75" sport coils), Skyjacker softride 1.5" AAL, Firestone Ride Right Airbags, 17X8.5 Method NVs, 285/70/r17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, US Offroad hidden winch mount, grillcraft grill, Sypder Auto projector headlights, blackedout LED taillights, bed extender, bedrack w/CVT Mt Shasta tent,
    A little photo dump.
    Some flexing

Here was some camping before or run with mustangs.

Decided to try this look... Not sure if I like it more or not... Any thoughts?

2. Feb 1, 2018 at 12:56 PM
    R09ster

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    OK
    Vehicle:
    06 SSM DCSB TRD Sport
    debadged, Bilstein 5100 all around (fronts at 1.75" sport coils), Skyjacker softride 1.5" AAL, Firestone Ride Right Airbags, 17X8.5 Method NVs, 285/70/r17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, US Offroad hidden winch mount, grillcraft grill, Sypder Auto projector headlights, blackedout LED taillights, bed extender, bedrack w/CVT Mt Shasta tent,
    Alright. I did it! I finally got some OME Dakars and 885s (still have to install the 885s). An wouldn't you know, when I went to put on the Dakars, I found out my rear 5100's were leaking all over. So after a few days of research looking at travel distances, etc. I bought some Fox 2.0 resi's (the 117 ones).

They were closest to the travel of the OME nitros (I just didn't think they would be as nice as some Foxes or something upgraded). I was back and forth between Icon and Fox for a while, but Icon wouldn't give me travel numbers and there was a sale on Amazon for the Foxes. These things are WAY beefier than stock/5100s, lol. Right now I'm running around without my tent and bed rack because all three nylon lock nuts on one of the t-slot rails on the tent fell out somehow! I had no idea how close I was to loosing my tent! that would have been terrible. So right now the Dakars and Foxes are just as firm as my AAL and air bags, but not as harsh. I was really kind of hoping for a bit smoother of a ride, but it is just noticeably better and I'll bet it will be way better with the extra weight of the tent and bed rack. I gained about .5 inches in the rear from the Dakars.

Floor to fender
    Before:

After:

FYI, when you install Fox 2.0s, you can't just compress them with your hands (at least not my little man hands) you have to lift the truck up to line up the lower mounting bolts, lol. (I'm sure you all are like, "ya, duh" but 5100s were really easy to compress, lol.)

This weekend I'm going to try and put the 885s on and get it aligned.

I'll get some pictures up later because my computer is being super slow and won't let me attach them here.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  3. Mar 8, 2018 at 12:18 PM
    R09ster

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    OK
    Vehicle:
    06 SSM DCSB TRD Sport
    Here's some more pictures of the rear lift. For some reason I guess I don't have any pictures after I installed the 885s. I'll have to get on that.

Definitely stiff with no weight in the back. I've since put the RTT back on and that helps a bunch. I (and actually my wife too because she complains about the ride) wish I would have spent the extra money for some adjustable shocks. You can definitely tell the difference on big hits, the Foxes just eat it all up, but all the little tiny bumps translate to the body a bit much. Maybe they will break in a bit after a while.

I also forgot to post these little numbers. Much better than the center caps that came with the Methods and give it a lot more of a finished look. Big shout out to MesoJDM!

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/custom-trd-method-nv-center-caps.513587/

4. Mar 12, 2018 at 7:35 AM
    R09ster

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    OK
    Vehicle:
    06 SSM DCSB TRD Sport
    Doing a little work this morning.

Plenty of room for flexies

Should have cleaned up and repainted my axel while I had it all apart putting the Darkars on...I just got so excited to get them installed...

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  5. Jul 13, 2018 at 1:11 PM
    R09ster

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    OK
    Vehicle:
    06 SSM DCSB TRD Sport

Packed up for fun.

6. Jul 30, 2018 at 5:45 PM
    R09ster

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    OK
    Vehicle:
    06 SSM DCSB TRD Sport
    Photo dump. Playing with the photo editor on my phone.

300AACTaco likes this.
  7. Jul 30, 2018 at 5:45 PM
    R09ster

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    OK
    Vehicle:
    06 SSM DCSB TRD Sport
    hmmm...some of those looked better on my phone screen...

300AACTaco likes this.
  8. Aug 18, 2019 at 11:59 AM
    R09ster

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    OK
    Vehicle:
    06 SSM DCSB TRD Sport
    Just a few pictures from my last Colorado Adventure to Lake City area. My wife has been getting a lot deeper into photography, so I thought I'd play with some of the filters on my S8. Still not as cool as her photos.

I was nicely impressed with how my set up ran on the trail. It wasn't super technical but more offroading than I've done in years, lol. About 3 hours each way to Silverton, CO through Cinnamon Pass and another one I can't remember.

Products Discussed in

To Top