1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

RAAMmat, Ensolite and Mr Marv Box install

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by trtripoli, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Apr 20, 2009 at 8:17 AM
    trtripoli

trtripoli [OP] lower management

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    07 4,0 L, 6M, Dbl Cab, TRD Off Road
    Eclipse AVN6620 JL 500/1 amp JL 13TW5 sub JL 300/4 JL XR-650CSi Mr Marv Box Blu tooth XM radio Back Up camera, RAAMmat and Ensolite everywhere but ceiling
    This install took a long time (~20 hrs), but of course I drank a lot during it, so the drinking itself took awhile as well as the consequences from drinking.

To start I took everything out of the cab (seats, bins, center console, carpet and amp rack/sub box).

[​IMG]

I then cleaned up wiring I had done before, zip tying it to the sheet metal, and making sure it was encased in the conduit wherever possible. I also cleaned up the vinyl covering on my Mr. Marv amp rack and sub box.

I vacuumed and cleaned the inside of the cab (including front doors) with some surface cleaner to remove all the dirt and dust. I started with the doors, putting a layer of RAAMmat on the inside and outside of the doors. I then covered the back wall and floor with a layer of RAAMmat.

[​IMG]

I put a layer of ensolite of the doors and then over the back wall and the larger flat areas of the floor.

[​IMG]

After I finished installing all the RAAMmat, Ensolite and putting the speakers back in the doors, I put the carpet back in. And then I realized I forgot to label the wires in the midst of my day long binge. So I spent the next hour finding out which wire was which for the speaker and RCA cables.

Finally (I think) got it all figure out and put everything back in the cab.

[​IMG]

I still have to buy/install new speakers, RAAMmat and Ensolite in the back doors. I also plan to install this deadener in the ceiling as well.

During my installing I questioned whether it was worth it, even when I was testing with just the stereo in the car. But when I first drove the car I was amazed at how much less echoing and engine noise I could hear. It was night and day. I highly recommend everyone doing this install deadener, even if you aren't putting in an aftermarket stereo. The reduction in engine noise is reason enough for me to do this again.

NOTE: The weather in Denver took a turn for the worst and decided to snow ~12"+ on Friday and rain the entire day Saturday. So I had to clean my small garage and park the truck in diagonal in order to fit it in to be able to do the install.

2. Apr 22, 2009 at 3:04 AM
    Jimirich

Jimirich Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Dbl cab shorty O.R. pkg
    DTRL, Debadged, Donkey tethered in the bed that rips 142 db farts so I can piss off the neighbors and rattle the windows on my house when I'm parked in front.
    Marv is making a sub box/amp deck for me now. He is way cool and I have no doubt his handicraft will really make the difference in my system.
    My set up is similar to yours except the subwoofer will be centered and the amps on the sides. I'll run a Pioneer 1000 w shallow off of an Alpine MRP 500w mono. I've got most everything I need and will do the install of sound deadener over the next month as soon as I get my baffles from Marv.
    What kind of deck do you have? Tell me more about your components and also any particular hassles with the carpet R/R. (besides being drunk)
    Thanks much.

3. Apr 22, 2009 at 3:14 AM
    Silver_Jim

Silver_Jim Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2019 Toyota Tacoma DCOR
    Wow, that's insane. That only took you 20 hours? Are you keep track of your total costs for all the hardware and wiring and sound dampening material?

Thanks

4. Apr 22, 2009 at 7:55 AM
    trtripoli

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    Eclipse AVN6620 JL 500/1 amp JL 13TW5 sub JL 300/4 JL XR-650CSi Mr Marv Box Blu tooth XM radio Back Up camera, RAAMmat and Ensolite everywhere but ceiling
    I run the Eclipse AVN6620. I got it last year right before the 200+ price drop. I paid ~800 but I know you can get them for close to 500 now. The deck has nothing fancy about the interface or GPS, but it gets the job done. I also bought the Bluetooth, XM radio and IPod adapter for it. It all adds up pretty quick, but least your purchases can be spread out. I've always thought eclipse produces better sounds than a lot of the other brands. But it might just be a bias I've had growing up.

I've always had a JL bias, so all the speakers and amps are JL. I still have yet to tune the system properly per JL's recommendations and Mr. Marv's as well. But I'll get that done. The components are what I wanted within my budget. I'm pretty happy with them.

Taking the interior out (seats, center console, bins and carpet) ended up being really easy. Once you get the everything out, the carpet just comes out.

Yea, I’ve been trying to keep track somewhat. I’ve had to buy a bunch of tools I haven’t had in the past so my costs have been pretty high, but the hardware itself is basically nothing (>$10) for more than I needed. The wiring is expensive. I bought the Rockford Fosgate dual amp kit, and I had to put another RCA cable and another 100 ft of speaker wire from home depot (auto grade). I’ve spent about $140 on wires. Sound dampening was about $167 (1 roll RAAMmat, 4 yards Ensolite, and 2 cans spray adhesive), I have very little left and it’s not near enough to finish rear doors and the ceiling, so I think I’ll need another yard of Ensolite and a roll of RAAMmat. I’ll probably only use 1/3 of the roll though.

5. Apr 22, 2009 at 7:59 PM
    acozzens

acozzens Well-Known Member

Member:
    98056 , washington state
    Vehicle:
    06 4d 4wd trd sr5 silver
    Michelin ltx m/s WSU (cougs) License Plate Holder $1.99 Gate Theft Mod DIY HU install DIY SWI-JACK install DIY rear speaker & baffle DIY ipod audio/video interface DIY HD radio DIY Alpine pdx 5 DIY front components install DIY RedLine Tuning Gas hood lift ( very slick ) DIY slimcubby gb hid head/fog DIY extang trifold trifecta DIY dynolock tailgate lock
    great pics. thanks.. I have a raamat kit coming from rick on friday...

My question is:
    How did you apply the raamat around the speakers ? Under the baffle ? To the Edge of the baffle ?

thanks,
    AC

6. Apr 23, 2009 at 7:44 AM
    trtripoli

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    behind/under baffle. here is a picture from Mr. Marv photos from his 05+ install that shows it better than I can explain it..

http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c... DC Install/?action=view&current=P1010480.jpg

Let me know if you have any other questions.

7. Jun 9, 2009 at 8:50 PM
    mneuls

mneuls Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort St John, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    5100's and dakar leaf 3"lift, Satoshi grill,
    Bilstein 5100's front and back, dakar 3" leaf springs, Westin bull bar, piaa driving lights, piaa replacement bulbs, H/U, 2x10" mtx tt65 subs, 1000w clarion monoblock, Mtx surround speakers. green wire mod. Flowmaster 40, airaid intake. scanguage II.
    How much raamat did you use. I bought 2 rolls, i'm just curious about the coverage.

8. Jun 10, 2009 at 8:14 AM
    GoBlueFan

GoBlueFan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner
    Step bars, billet grill with custom TOYOTA, MB Quart RSI 216 components, Hifonics ZXi 4410, RAAMmat deadened doors/back wall/roof covered with ensolite , 24" Magnaflow muffler, hand polished stock exhaust tip, tinted, OEM TRD Bilstiens all around with 1/4" spacers up front to level it out. Sport wheels added.

You'll have plenty to do the door, floors, back wall and even the roof. A single roll just about completes a regular cab. I'd need another 10-15 ft to totally do it. Not worth buying a second roll for what I am doing though.

You might want to get about 8-10 yds of ensolite and a couple cans of glue though.

9. Jun 10, 2009 at 2:54 PM
    mneuls

mneuls Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 5100's front and back, dakar 3" leaf springs, Westin bull bar, piaa driving lights, piaa replacement bulbs, H/U, 2x10" mtx tt65 subs, 1000w clarion monoblock, Mtx surround speakers. green wire mod. Flowmaster 40, airaid intake. scanguage II.
    i ordered 6 yards and some glue.

10. Jun 10, 2009 at 4:53 PM
    GoBlueFan

GoBlueFan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner
    Step bars, billet grill with custom TOYOTA, MB Quart RSI 216 components, Hifonics ZXi 4410, RAAMmat deadened doors/back wall/roof covered with ensolite , 24" Magnaflow muffler, hand polished stock exhaust tip, tinted, OEM TRD Bilstiens all around with 1/4" spacers up front to level it out. Sport wheels added.

I was thinking doors, floors, back wall and roof for 8-10 yds. How much did you do?

11. Jun 10, 2009 at 9:48 PM
    mneuls

mneuls Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    none yet, I'm picking up the stuff from ups tomorrow morning. but i'm planning on doing doors, and the back wall, and maybe the floor at the back, that's where the most road noise is coming from i figure.

12. Mar 21, 2016 at 8:37 PM
    tbird95

tbird95 Well-Known Member

Member:
    British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport SR5 V6 DC, LB, 4x4, Tow package
    4runner heated, signal, courtesy light side mirrors, rearview mirror w/compass, temp & backup cam w/ pop luck PL 5400, Interior lights/gauges, BHLM, grillcraft MX black. Third brake light LED swap, rear tail lights LED swap from 2011. 3" Toytec (Boss) Coil overs, rear TSB AAL Bilsteins, Light Racing UCA. TRD grill badge, VIPER Smart Start.
    Great info here, I'm looking at doing it but I'm not sure what to use. I have aftermarket speakers and deck but no subs or amps or anything to put in. As far as speakers, what did you replace the factory door speakers with as far as sizes (I'm thinking 6.5 in rear doors and 6x9 in the front both pairs are 3-way speakers and obviously the front tweeters as well)? Did you need and/or use mounting brackets? My questions are...
    1). So did you buy the BXT 2 and ensolite?
    2). Did you do the firewall?
    3). Do you have any idea of the actual square footage of the completed project (I'm assuming you since did your rear doors and roof)?
    4). Did everything you do require both products?

Thanks in advance

Cliff

Products Discussed in

To Top