1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Racing or 4x4 ATV?

Discussion in 'All Terrain Vehicles' started by Slick8810, May 4, 2009.

?

Which one: Racing or 4x4 ATV

1. 4x4

257 vote(s)
    60.2%
  2. Racing

170 vote(s)
    39.8%
  1. May 6, 2009 at 10:06 PM
    life11

life11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tempe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    lifted 04 base V6
    Fabtech 3 inch lift, full magnaflow exhaust, 32 Inch toyo tires, 18 inch rims.
    gotta go with the racing all day baby!!!!
    no way 4x4
    i got a 700 raptor and yfz 450
    YAMAHA!!!

2. May 7, 2009 at 1:29 AM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    Well, it really depends on what you're going to be doing. There are going to be quads that are best in harsh conditions like deep mud and large rocks(independent suspension 4x4 like a Grizzly, or Kingquad, etc.) and quads that handle easier terrain much faster (race 2wd like a YFZ450, TRX450R, LT-R450, etc), then quads that will be somewhere in between. Analyze the conditions you like to ride in, then choose based off that. If you want a quad of compromise for various conditions, then consider these:
    for the harsher terrain(sporty 4x4): Can Am Renegade, Yamaha Wolverine 450, Honda Rincon 680
    for less harsh terrain(sporty, recreational 2wd): Honda 700XX, Polaris Outlaw 525 IRS, Suzuki Z400, Yamaha Raptor 700

Also, experience plays a role too. If you're inexperienced, obviously dont choose a big high powered quad that you dont know how to control properly and end up one of the statistics........

3. May 7, 2009 at 7:43 PM
    tacoholic

tacoholic Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Bay, CA
    I said racing but the 4x4 ones look like hella fun.

4. May 7, 2009 at 11:43 PM
    Slick8810

Slick8810 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Panama City, FL
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma Prerunner SR5
    3" lift, 20% tint, billet grille
    im experienced with atvs. we had one when i was younger that i rode and i bought a 05 suzuki vinson 500 4x4 that was awesome that i sold im probably gonna go with something like that again. i sold it to get rid of the bill.

5. May 8, 2009 at 12:13 AM
    VancityCK

VancityCK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic AC TRD Offroad
    That sucks. Stick with suzuki. From the forums I'm on, the Suzukis have the fewest issues and (subjectively) the best reliability. I have a KQ450, lightly modified, and it has never given me a hint of trouble, no matter what I throw it through. I'm sure the sport quads are fun and fast, but really, that 700lb 450 goes 60mph on a level dirt road, and that's fast enough. Even that fast, you're just asking for a truck to come around the corner and pulverize you... 4X4 and a winch will get you through and on top of practically anything, even places you shouldn't go:eek: And there is no way any 2wd low slung sport quad would even get half the places I take mine.

6. May 9, 2009 at 8:11 PM
    JeffRock

JeffRock Well-Known Member

Member:
    Capital region, NY
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma accesscab 4x4 SR5 2.7L
    Toyota all weather floor mats. Mag light that clunks around in the jack compartment. Dog hair. Dog drool on the windows.
    I've had a plethora of machines through the years. starting with 2 stroke three wheelers, Quads, And most of all dirtbikes.
    after selling my last bike three years ago I am thinking about a four wheeler.
    and thinking about going with a 4x4.
    As I am getting older, and less riskier. I have always had racing/sport machines. but am now thinking about mud, and going slow.

it's all about what you want to do with it.

7. May 10, 2009 at 3:35 PM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    both
    89 banshee
    02 grizzly 660

8. May 11, 2009 at 9:11 PM
    ToyoComp

ToyoComp Addicted Mod'r

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 TRD Off Road DC
    Sway-A-Way Race Runner 2.5 coil over (3" lift) & Icon 2.5 rear shocks on RXT springs, Total Chaos UCA, ToyTec differential drop, Tom Woods Driveshaft, SpiderTrax spacers, 8128 Pro Comp wheels, Toyo Open Country RT 285/70/17, DT Long Tube headers, URD MAF, TRD CAI & exhaust, Line-X coated Famous Fabrication front bumper, Demello Sliders and rear bumper, Wet Okole covers, Rigid LED spot, driving & fog, bed mat, debadged & EBC Stage 4 rotors and pads
    I ride a Kawasaki KFX450R sport quad that is set up for trail racing. I bought it for its quick handling, fuel injection and reverse. There have been several great points brought up on this forum and I believe it really boils down to the type of riding you enjoy best. Given that most folks on TW love to mod their stuff, you might also want to consider how much aftermarket stuff you might want to do to an ATV. The sport quads typically have the most options and variety of add ons that truly change the performance. On my quad, I have added aftermarket suspension, air intake, full exhaust kit, DynoJet Fuel Injection controller & custom maps, nerf bars, front bumper, skid plates, hand guards, custom graphics and other stuff that I'm forgetting. Good luck!
    Kawi - Feb3.jpg

9. May 12, 2009 at 1:12 PM
    RelentlessFab

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    Hmm. Never thought to mention the number of mods available for a specific quad, but Toyocomp makes a good point. That should be something to consider when picking a machine as well.

10. May 13, 2009 at 3:55 PM
    Slick8810

Member:
    Panama City, FL
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma Prerunner SR5
    im actually going with the new polaris sportsman 500 H.O. whenever i get ready to buy.

11. May 13, 2009 at 4:01 PM
    RelentlessFab

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    500 or 550? The brand new 550 and 850 are supposed to be beasts.

12. May 14, 2009 at 4:13 PM
    Slick8810

Member:
    Panama City, FL
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma Prerunner SR5
    im lookin at the 09 500

13. May 14, 2009 at 4:27 PM
    RelentlessFab

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    might wanna check out the reviews of the 550. Everything i've read basically says the new ones are night and day better than the older style sportsmans. I think it would be worth the money, especially when it comes down to resale.

14. May 14, 2009 at 4:39 PM
    Slick8810

Member:
    Panama City, FL
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma Prerunner SR5
    yeah your talking about the sportsman xp 550 and im looking at the sportsman 500ho. the one your talking about is about $1500 more.

15. May 14, 2009 at 4:52 PM
    NumNutz

NumNutz One of the original 7928

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4x4 - Kings, TC, Dakars, broken stuff
    Lots.
    Whichever category this one is under...

[​IMG]

yea jk

16. May 14, 2009 at 5:15 PM
    vtragweed

vtragweed Beef Slut

Member:
    First Name:
    Willie
    VA
    Vehicle:
    08 2.7 SR5 Debadged
    afe pro-dry s filter, LCE headers, painted black steelies,color matched grill surround, URD short shifter, UWS black tool box
    i ended up going with the can-am renegade 500 sport atv w/ 4wd definately the best atv ive had over my other 420fi honda rancher. The plus side to this is that i can still put a with winch on my renegade if i need to.
    [​IMG]

17. May 14, 2009 at 5:16 PM
    RCBS

RCBS How long you willing to tolerate this crap??

Member:
    Harden your bark, there are storms on the horizon.
    Vehicle:
    Goodbye 06, Hello 21. TRDORDCSBMT
    Tornado intake, Duralube, Fartcan.
    what's your riding personality? do you like to thrash or are you just chill? i bought a Grizzly in '02, brand new, and have had tons of fun on it. it's plenty fast and will go anywhere you dare. after a couple years though, i noticed that my riding "personality" lent itself more towards a sport bike. i'm a thrasher when i get on a bike. it's funny...i hokey poke along most of the time in my truck, but something comes over me when i grab handle bars.:D i have been riding 2,3,and 4-wheelers literally since before i can remeber and i am very hard on them. the grizz has stood up to the abuse well, but i probably should've bought a raptor instead. don't get me wrong...many of the "sport 4x4's" are very fast and can keep up a good clip in most terrain, but my favorite thing to do is to find tight trails and see how fast i can go. i have the stature to handle a big bike whilst zipping through the trees, but would prefer something i don't have to "muscle" around so much. on the plus side for the 4x's, they can be very handy as well as fun. i have gotten a lot of usage out of my grizzly that a raptor can not be used for. a 4x will afford work and play, where a sport/race quad can pretty much only do fun.

best advice i can give is to try to get some seat time on a few models that you are considering on both sides of the isle. whichever way you decide to go, know your limits, wear a skid lid, and if possible, don't ride alone.

i must be getting old these days, because i want to trade the grizz in on a rhino now lol good luck, and don't jump into anything before you do your homework.

18. May 14, 2009 at 6:34 PM
    RelentlessFab

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    ^^^ we've got a Rhino. Absolutely love it. Very useful for working and damn capable with our gnarly 27" ITP Mudlite XTR's on it and that full locker.

19. May 14, 2009 at 6:41 PM
    ToyoComp

ToyoComp Addicted Mod'r

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 TRD Off Road DC
    Sway-A-Way Race Runner 2.5 coil over (3" lift) & Icon 2.5 rear shocks on RXT springs, Total Chaos UCA, ToyTec differential drop, Tom Woods Driveshaft, SpiderTrax spacers, 8128 Pro Comp wheels, Toyo Open Country RT 285/70/17, DT Long Tube headers, URD MAF, TRD CAI & exhaust, Line-X coated Famous Fabrication front bumper, Demello Sliders and rear bumper, Wet Okole covers, Rigid LED spot, driving & fog, bed mat, debadged & EBC Stage 4 rotors and pads
    Hey Relentless - how's your rhino compare to your built 450 - speed, cornering, overall fun factor? Yeah I know its apples and oranges, but if you could only have one? I'm guessing your 450 still gets your vote.

20. May 14, 2009 at 6:53 PM
    RelentlessFab

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    Wow. Thats really and unfair comparison. LOL. TOTALLY different machines and purpose. I'd still keep my 450 though if it were one or the other. The Rhino is fun, but in a different way. We use it mainly for driving around our property and doing chores- hauling firewood, wood chips, etc. Compared to my quad its slow as hell, but still fun to drive. The aftermarket tires/wheels make a big difference in how it handles and performs. Their extra weight and size slows acceleration but it goes EVERWERE with them on it. If we only had the rhino, no doubt it would have some money dumped into the motor and a few grand thrown into suspension. We've jumped the rhino its fair share of times, but it wasnt really designed to be driven that way; it was designed to perform well under all conditions from slow to fast. Doing those mods alone would make it a whole different animal. When it comes down to it though, if I were to buy a SXS for recreation first and work/chores 2nd, then the Polaris RZR S or Kawasaki Teryx Sport would be the one I'd get. They simply have potential for being faster than the rhino, and in the case of the RZR S, it really comes from the factory ready with good LT suspension and the ability to rail it through whoops and over jumps.

To Top