1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Radial vs bias

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by dysfunctnlretard, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Aug 21, 2009 at 4:03 PM
    dysfunctnlretard

dysfunctnlretard [OP] Hi

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Jeep Rubicon
    What's better? Whats the difference? I was checking out the Sale 4Wheel Parts has on some ProComp tires and saw the two types of Mud Terrains, one being listed as radial.

2. Aug 21, 2009 at 4:11 PM
    Monkeysuncle

Monkeysuncle My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5 4x4 5 speed Manual Hubs
    Diff Breather,CB thingy,GPS,Cop Shocks,Cop Brakes, old Man Emu 881's Dakar Leaf Springs and Nitro sport shocks. Deck Plate mod
    Bias ply tires are old school. If you drive on the highway at all, then radials are the way to go, also, radials have more strenght.

3. Aug 22, 2009 at 7:36 AM
    RCBS

RCBS How long you willing to tolerate this crap??

Member:
    Harden your bark, there are storms on the horizon.
    Vehicle:
    Goodbye 06, Hello 21. TRDORDCSBMT
    Tornado intake, Duralube, Fartcan.
    radials wil have more strength and tread life. bias, according to a couple older fellows i know, are excellent for off road use. they tell me that the tread compound is softer and the sidewalls will flex giving more traction. downside of bias-ply is the shorter life, and when "cold" they will give a crappy ride on the highway. bias are usually cheaper also. i'd stick with the radials, unless it's strictly for off road use.

4. Aug 22, 2009 at 7:46 AM
    tacoman101

tacoman101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    scott
    vermont
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma sr5 xtra cab 4wd
    blue led headlights, 285/75/16 grabber AT2's, custom pedals, custom shifter, flowmaster 40 series muffler, bedlinered fender flares, 2.5" lift kit via shackles and spacers, custom exhaust out the back, chrome exhaust tip, and Herculined bed, Weathertech floormats, Cabelas Trail Gear Camo Seat Covers ... Nice thing was I got the truck for $4000
    radial is for the daily driver who sees both offroad and onroad. These tires will give you better onroad handling and noise, and will wear significantly slower

bias ply is for the hardcore offroader, these will be noisy on the road, they will wear quicker and will tend to lead to wandering on the highway. Offroad these tires will perform much better than radials, they are much more puncture resistent and will grip all terrain much better

5. Aug 22, 2009 at 6:27 PM
    Monkeysuncle

Monkeysuncle My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5 4x4 5 speed Manual Hubs
    Diff Breather,CB thingy,GPS,Cop Shocks,Cop Brakes, old Man Emu 881's Dakar Leaf Springs and Nitro sport shocks. Deck Plate mod

Yes, hardcore offroad then, it may be a trailer truck for rock crawling. Bias ply is a better option, thanks

Products Discussed in

To Top