1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Radiator and Cold air intake upgrades EVERYONE CHIP IN !!!!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 2011BlackTaco, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Nov 22, 2011 at 3:01 PM
    Trifenix

Trifenix Well-Known Member

Member:
    so cal
    Vehicle:
    99 LT 5 lug Taco
    If you want better mpg, leave your truck stock. CAI will give you more top end. SRI low end. You will not gain anything noticeable from electric fan. Just do the deckplate mod and drive smart.

2. Nov 22, 2011 at 3:29 PM
    beanZnMyTaCo!

beanZnMyTaCo! Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    beanZ!
    sj, CaLi
    Vehicle:
    DoPe!
    >:-)
    This thread is a gr8 example(along with the thousands) of why i luv this site.... Great reading material and random/ useful info bout our whips!
    Btw!
    Sub'd!

3. Nov 22, 2011 at 9:19 PM
    KenpachiZaraki

KenpachiZaraki Its Wicked Flow BITCHES!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex •﹏•
    Lubbock
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD. 325/275/365 SBD
    ALL POSER- Afe Pro Dry S drop in filter, 3" AP leaf pack, Eibach w/5100's up front, 5100's rear, Fog Light Mod, ABS off mod, Dash Light MOD, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Wicked Flow Bitches MAX Muffler, 4" floods, 20", 43" light bars, 265/75/16 Hankook Dynapro ATm, oil catch can, rear diff breather relocate, Custome Sliders, SOS concepts Front bumper, Demon Eye Mod, backlit TRD emblem on bumper, Morimoto D2S projectors,
    Yea that's what i meant. Sometimes its just too damn early to be on TW!!! Its the first thing i check!!! :D

4. Nov 23, 2011 at 6:11 AM
    2011BlackTaco

2011BlackTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    11 Prerunner
    6 inch Pro Comp lift kit, 18" XD Monster rims, 285/65/18 Nitto Trail Grapplers, Smittybilt black step bars
    Thanks to yalls comments I have learned a ton about my new Tacoma. I appreciate everything. From what I can understand there is no reason to get a new air intake or change the fan. The safest bet would pro be to get the trd air intake if I get one. I don't want to lose low end or top end power id like to keep it running as is but with some of my own add on features to be different. Im also thinking about adding a flow master thunder dual system or mbrp black dual system, even tho they will both cause low end loss.

5. Nov 23, 2011 at 6:43 AM
    ruggedT

ruggedT The Sticker Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Stan
    Midlothian, Va
    Vehicle:
    2016 Ford F250
    Diesel on 35's
    I actually got better mpg with my stock intake, and drop in K&N. 2nd filter is still in place.

Had a "cold air" K&N intake

6. Nov 23, 2011 at 6:43 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    im pretty sure 80 psi is way too much! should be around 33-36psi

Ive had a 40 and a 50 series. I would go with the 50 if you really wanted a flowmaster. Wolf is right about the 40 having a bad "drone" sound in the cab. The drop in filter AFE is the best filter to go with from everything ive read. Ive had a K&N "cold" air intake, I think I lost mpg with it bc I stomped the gas eveywhere bc I wanted to hear it roar :laugh: and Ive also had a drop in K&N and I can say that it didnt change anything noticeable. I just run the factory filter now.

I average 19.5mpg on almost every tank and I drive about 85% highway

7. Nov 23, 2011 at 12:45 PM
    nashi

nashi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 TRD Sport
    4x4, Short Bed, Entune, Bed Step, Bed Extender, Cat Back Exhaust, aFe Pro Dry Filter
    It seems it could be technically feasible to install a 2gr engine (or it's parts) from a FJ or 4 runner, that would get you more horsepower and more mpg.

8. Nov 24, 2011 at 5:58 AM
    2011BlackTaco

2011BlackTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    11 Prerunner
    6 inch Pro Comp lift kit, 18" XD Monster rims, 285/65/18 Nitto Trail Grapplers, Smittybilt black step bars

The flow master thunder series duals is a 50 series I'm pretty sure. Well I might just go with the drop in afe air filter since that seems to be the smartest thing to do with intake systems. I haven't found any good videos of the mbrp exhaust but I have heard its good. I just want to hear before I spend 500 on exhaust.

9. Nov 24, 2011 at 6:22 AM
    JDCPA

JDCPA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    SW FL
    Vehicle:
    09 5 Lug Access Cab SR5
    Curt Hitch and etrailer.com wiring harness.
    Any changes you have had suggested to you will allow more airflow. Unfortunately your engine has absolutely no need for more airflow except when it is operating at maximum RPMs where it might help get a few more horsepower. The stock air filter system passes more air than the engine uses at normal operating speeds and changing it will not increase your MPG at normal operating levels.

Some have complained that adding a CAI actually decreases MPG. That's becasue the CAI passes more air which needs more gas to keep your mixture within operating ranges even though the engine does not need the extra air and gas to produce the power you are asking it to produce. You are actually having the engine produce more power than it needs for the speed you are going resulting in the drop in MPG. Essentially wasting horsepower.

Same is true for the exhaust system. Toyota has installed an exhaust system that is more than capable of handling the exhaust the engine produces at normal operating speeds. Changing the exhaust system may provide a few extra horsepower at maximum RPMs but doesn't do anything at normal operating speeds but decrease the back pressure at the exhaust manifold. Since the computer that runs the engine is programmed for a particular range of back pressure to operate efficiently some exhaust changes result in a decrease of MPG as the computer adjusts for the reduced back pressure it is not programmed to use.

Products Discussed in

To Top