1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Radiator Overflow Tank

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by The Shape, May 22, 2013.

1. May 22, 2013 at 11:07 AM
    The Shape

The Shape [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Forrest City, AR
    Vehicle:
    '09 Access Cab A/T 4banger
    My coolant level sets about 1/2 inch above the low level when completely cooled off. I have never paid any attention to it before so I am not sure how full it was 38K miles ago when I bought it. Is it normal to lose a little over time? I notice there is no clamp or anything around the hose that runs from the radiator to the tank and there was a bit of dried coolant around that hose where it meets the nipple on the overflow tank.

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  2. May 22, 2013 at 3:53 PM
    DGXR

DGXR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Friend
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 2.7L SR5 2-wheel drive
    That's exactly how my 2006 has always been... just above the low mark when cold and maybe between low and hot/full marks on the hottest Sacramento summer days. I also have a small bit of the white crusty dried coolant around the hose at the overflow tank. Pretty sure this is all normal, don't worry. You can check your radiator level when it's cold, remove the cap and the coolant should be maybe 1/2-3/4" below the filler neck. The level comes up when it gets hot and you really don't want to open it when hot. The overflow tank catches any coolant that the system pushes out when it really heats up, then the system sucks it back in when it cools off. I rarely open the radiator cap but I check the overflow whenever the hood is up. Hope this helps you.

3. May 22, 2013 at 4:05 PM
    The Shape

The Shape [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Forrest City, AR
    Vehicle:
    '09 Access Cab A/T 4banger
    Yeah it does, it's quite possible it has been at the level all along I have just never paid it any attention. If that is where your level has been since 2006 sounds good to me.

4. May 22, 2013 at 8:15 PM
    09sr5

09sr5 gonna be a long ride

Member:
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2009 sr5 2.7 4x4 AC
    265/75 AT3's on stock wheels. 5100's@1.75". Trail Gear sliders. Toytec AAL
    Mine is the same way . 60k miles

5. May 23, 2013 at 5:45 AM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    Mine when cold is about and inch or so low too. I am about 5 years in service with this truck. Minimal loss based on time frame. I did also notice a little seepage, which a zip tie solved that...:cool:

Products Discussed in

To Top