1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Radiator support replacement

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Kavik, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Aug 15, 2016 at 6:42 PM
    Kavik

Kavik [OP] Kavik

Member:
    Texas, DFW
    Vehicle:
    Not your everday 5 lug
    Lowered: 3 inch drop blocks (Beefed Taco),Satoshi Grill, Morimoto bi-xenon H1 Retrofitted headlights, Flowmaster exhaust, Blue LED interior and exterior, blue LED dome light, Anzo black LED taillights, Hifonics Brutus 1100w Mono Block, Bazooka 300w Amp, LED license plate lights. Lifited: Fat Bob's rear shocks, Fat Bob's 3" spacer and rear AAL, Nitto Terragrapplers, weldertaco wrap around rear tube bumper, TrailWorx Fab tube front bumper
    About a month or so ago I was working under the hood when I noticed that some cracks have been forming on my upper radiator support, possibly due to the horn relocation not being strong enough causing it to vibrate and flex over a long period of time. It has gotten to the point now where it needs to be replaced and I already have the piece to replace it but there is one problem, I have removed the whole front end including all the hardware that is fastening the radiator support to the truck itself but it doesn't budge. So my question to anyone that has tackled this or to anyone who may be able to shine a light on this is...Is this piece spot welded in specific areas?

2. Aug 17, 2016 at 4:09 PM
    Kavik

Kavik [OP] Kavik

Member:
    Texas, DFW
    Vehicle:
    Not your everday 5 lug
    Lowered: 3 inch drop blocks (Beefed Taco),Satoshi Grill, Morimoto bi-xenon H1 Retrofitted headlights, Flowmaster exhaust, Blue LED interior and exterior, blue LED dome light, Anzo black LED taillights, Hifonics Brutus 1100w Mono Block, Bazooka 300w Amp, LED license plate lights. Lifited: Fat Bob's rear shocks, Fat Bob's 3" spacer and rear AAL, Nitto Terragrapplers, weldertaco wrap around rear tube bumper, TrailWorx Fab tube front bumper
    bump

3. Aug 17, 2016 at 4:17 PM
    hoarder23

hoarder23 Truck fell over

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    15 Pyrite Mica DCSB Sport
    Scratches
    Time to break out the grinder, what could go wrong?
    [​IMG]

whiskeytacos likes this.
  4. Aug 18, 2016 at 3:03 PM
    Wyoming09

Wyoming09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Tripoli Pa
    Vehicle:
    2000 Work truck 5 speed 4x4 3.4
    Super Springs
    Not sure if these have spot welds or not I never took notice when it was all apart

5. Aug 18, 2016 at 3:09 PM
    Kavik

Kavik [OP] Kavik

Member:
    Texas, DFW
    Vehicle:
    Not your everday 5 lug
    Well Since it is the upper piece that is damaged, it might be easier at this point to just remove that piece off the replacement and put it in place of the damaged part and leave the lower support alone.

6. Aug 19, 2016 at 12:35 AM
    Wyoming09

Wyoming09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Tripoli Pa
    Vehicle:
    2000 Work truck 5 speed 4x4 3.4
    Super Springs
    Show some pictures of these cracks .

It might be easier to just fix them then replacing everything .

Can`t say without seeing .

Ford Trucks where known for the radiator supports cracking

drill a small hole at each end most times your good welding was not needed

7. Aug 19, 2016 at 10:19 AM
    Kavik

Kavik [OP] Kavik

Member:
    Texas, DFW
    Vehicle:
    Not your everday 5 lug
    I stop drilled them when I noticed them, I even had a coworker tig weld the cracks. But something seems to be causing it to flex and crack. I will try to get pictures soon.

Products Discussed in

To Top