1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Radio shuts itself off!

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by JoeRe, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Jun 1, 2009 at 8:13 PM
    Kysport

Kysport Well-Known Member

Member:
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2020 Silver Sky Metallic Limited
    Are any of these radio problems on the JBL radio? Thanks.

2. Jun 1, 2009 at 8:51 PM
    BeefTaco

BeefTaco WESTern Alliance: NORCAL COAST

Member:
    Santa Cruz County Ca.
  3. Jun 1, 2009 at 9:18 PM
    epa4wd

epa4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eduardo
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR
    Clazzio Seat Covers OR Wheels 40% tint Side Steps KC Fog Lights
    Is there an actual TSB number for this problem, or are you guys just mentioning the problem at the dealer. Reason I ask is because mine rarely flickers or shuts off, so I will probably wont be able to show them the problem and I don't want to get any crap from them.

4. Jun 2, 2009 at 5:58 AM
    Kysport

Kysport Well-Known Member

Member:
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2020 Silver Sky Metallic Limited
  5. Jun 2, 2009 at 8:02 AM
    BX1018

BX1018 Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    09 Regular Cab
    Add me to the list. 3 weeks behind on back orders as well.

6. Jun 7, 2009 at 7:47 PM
    edc

edc Well-Known Member

Member:
    ILLINOIS
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma trd crew cab 4x4
    rcd 4.5" lift,relentless fab front bumpers,trd cai,17x9 motometal955,flowmaster40 muffler,cobra sxt cb,k2motor headlights,kl71 kumho tires
    Have 1000 miles on my truck and i'm having the same issue will call dealer tomorrow.

7. Jun 8, 2009 at 8:50 AM
    sweater914

sweater914 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Dakota
    Vehicle:
    '09 I4 5spd Access Cab Timberland Mica SR5
    The issues with the radio continue, occassionaly the volume on the head unit will not work but the steering wheel control will. The tune knob which controls the bass, treble, fade, and balance functions does the same thing. Time for the Alpine purchase.

8. Jun 8, 2009 at 2:50 PM
    Old Soul

Old Soul Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    09 AC V6 SR5 2WD SWB
    not to many, love it the way it is
    I went by the dealership today for something and mentioned the crazy radio situation in my truck. Of course he says he has to test it to reproduce the problem. I tell him it is such a sporadic thing and good luck to get it to do it. Nothing was found while they looked at it so...

It is not to bad, just really annoying when it does happen.

9. Jun 8, 2009 at 2:56 PM
    BX1018

BX1018 Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    09 Regular Cab
    Old Soul,

Can't believe they didn't just order you a replacement. This was a common issue so much that the dealership I took it to didn't even bother to reproduce it. They just ordered me a radio and told me they'd call me when it came in. Unfortunately, it's on backorder until June 21-29.

10. Jun 8, 2009 at 3:31 PM
    Edrin55

Edrin55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Chula Vista, CA (Eastlake)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Magnetic Gray TRD Sport Access Cab
    Avid Off Road Light Bar Line-X'd, Black Sand Pearl Hood Scoope, Truck Covers USA metal roll up bed cover, Thule Custom lockable light bar, TRD Sport Exhaust, Line-X'd TRD skid plate, Slee Off Road Sliders, Upgraded 3.5" Rearview Mirror/Monitor, Anytime Foglight Mod. (TY Jeff), Smoked Foglights, SilverStar Headlight & Foglight Bulbs, Tinted windows all around, Vent visors, Bed mat with security mod, Wet Okoles front & back, Race/Sport Pedals, Tailgate Clamps, PopNLcok 5300 Tailgate Lock, All weather mats, Helo 17x8 Hubcentric Rims & BFG All Terrain 265/70/17, Blisteins 5100's all around with mini leaf add to the rears, AFE Pro Dry drop in filter, Go Rhino Hitch Step, TRD License Plate Frames and Tire Valve Covers. GrillCraft MX Mesh upper and lower grills with "old school TOYOTA" FJ emblem, Cobra CB Radio, Firestick CB Antenna with custom mount.

Just an update guys.......

I got a call this morning that my new radio just came. Hung up the phone and went straight down to get it installed. The new radio knob feels more stiffer and more durable. Total wait time on the back order was 20 days.

11. Jun 8, 2009 at 3:39 PM
    bebopblues

bebopblues Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC/SB
    My 2009 Tacoma stock unit has the same problem, sometime the volume knob stops working. I had to wiggle it a little and then it starts working again. This is the worse stock stereo I have ever experienced. The AUX input volume is way too low. I have to crank the volume to MAX to get a good loudness for my MP3 player. And the sound quality is really poor. There's no separate controls for the subwoofer, which my Scion stock unit has. Does anyone know who makes this piece of crap for the Tacoma?

I'm not gonna bother bring it in for replacement. I'm just gonna put up with it until I find an aftermarket unit that I like.

12. Jun 8, 2009 at 6:32 PM
    Old Soul

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    09 AC V6 SR5 2WD SWB
    I'll call next time and complain about the radio. If Fred Anderson Toyota won't fix it I'll go to another dealer, right now it is not that bad just a small annoyance but I'll be motivated to do something about it before warranty runs out.

I found that setting the ASL to high helped with the ipod - aux plug in music experience. If you push the right side button in, ( the tune button ) you will be able to adjust the ASL setting. The Low setting (sub woofer control setting) is also accessed through pushing the tune button. I quit using the aux and figured out how to burn mp3 cds with itunes. The mp3 cds sound quality is way better than the aux input

13. Jun 8, 2009 at 10:46 PM
    09northerntaco

09northerntaco Tacoma = best shuttle truck ever

Member:
    Whistler BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 trd. Stock for now
    So my service center is being a pain in the a$$. I drive almost two hours to get there only to be told they don't have a tech on that can instal a replacement deck. I restrained myself from losing it, and just asked for the parts and I would do it myself. The service writter said they can't do that because they won't get their labour reimbursement from toyota. At that point I left the office went outside and wrote an email to toyota Canada... I'm not suprised by the lac of response from them. Love the truck and if this is the only problem I have I will be thrilled, but I certainly won't be going back to downtown toyota in Vancouver.

14. Jun 9, 2009 at 10:37 AM
    bebopblues

bebopblues Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC/SB
    Honestly, I can't tell any difference between the 3 ASL settings, going from low to mid to high has little to no affect to my ears.

The thing I don't get is they have a pretty good stereo unit on the Scion, why can't they just bring that over to the Tacoma?

15. Jun 9, 2009 at 6:59 PM
    Old Soul

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    09 AC V6 SR5 2WD SWB
    you are right. the asl does not have much affect through the aux input, just helps a little. I have found also that anything downloaded at less than 320 kbs starts to sound worse and worse the more it is compressed. I found some wav files on the computer and put them on the itouch and they sound good through the aux in the truck

16. Jun 19, 2009 at 10:12 AM
    rockbug63

rockbug63 Active Member

Member:
    central coast CA
    Vehicle:
    '09 Dbl cab 4x4 SR5 tow pkg.
    Rear leaf and steering column chatter tsb blower mtr replaced(waste of time) 2nd blw. mtr.; new headlights from DRL melt issue new water pump9 leaking0around block) pwr steering rack leaks, right frt. wheel bearing bad.
    Bought my 09 Dbl cab in December, radio was non-op on hot days, (that happens in CA in Feb.) had it replaced but I guess I was one of the first in my area and got the same production run since it is now coming on by itself and the display is gone sometimes. Really great to know that a 30K truck comes with a $30 stereo. Have a second one on back order now and I'm sure I will get a refurbed unit NOT a new one. Lots of cheap plastic around the glove box will break soon, too.

New replacement is working fine for now!!!

17. Jun 22, 2009 at 4:50 AM
    ToyoDen

ToyoDen Member

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4
    mud flap delete, chrome steps, Pioneer receiver, Pioneer CD changer, Alpine amp, Polk Audio rear component speakers
    Bought my 09 Access cab in March, non-JBL stock radio just started turning itself off this week. Happens more often when it's hot. Think I'd rather just replace the head unit with an aftermarket one and add an amp and sub since it isn't that great anyway. No point in taking it back to the dealer and wasting my time. :mad:

18. Jun 22, 2009 at 12:07 PM
    Old Soul

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    09 AC V6 SR5 2WD SWB

I notice you are in Raleigh NC. I went to Fred Anderson and mentioned the radio and they tried to reproduce the problem, which did not happen... so if your radio is not acting up when you pull in the lot don't waste your time. I may stop by Marc Jacobson when I am over in Chapel hill and see if the will get a new one for me.

19. Jun 23, 2009 at 2:44 PM
    JoeRe

JoeRe [OP] Member

Member:
    With the heat, it's a daily deal with the radio shutting off, on etc. Called the dealer from whom I have bought 3! NEW Toyotas and explained the problem and they said bring it in so they could check it out! I said that's a waste of time as it only does it when it feels like it and I was not interested in driving all the way out there to have them tell me it's fine, just order me a new unit and call me when it arrives. They said sorry, that was the deal. I called 1800GOTOYOTA and filed a complaint about this issue and was told the dealer would be contacting me as well as a customer service rep to make me happy. We'll see. Keep you posted.

20. Jun 23, 2009 at 6:34 PM
    Old Soul

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    09 AC V6 SR5 2WD SWB
    I am now in the habit of giving the dashboard above the radio a good whop to help it get its s#*t together. seems to be working so far for minor lapses of time

Products Discussed in

To Top