1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Radio shuts itself off!

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by JoeRe, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Jun 26, 2009 at 1:20 PM
    mheberts327

mheberts327 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma dbl cab 4x4
    According to another forum they are replacing these radio with refurbished ones. i have an appointment soon for replacement and i am going to ask for the documentation on the radio. New truck should be new working radio. Yes, wondering if anyone else had heard this.

2. Jun 26, 2009 at 1:34 PM
    Monarch

Monarch Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Kitchener, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2009 AC 4X4 2.7L manual SR5 barcelona red
    SkyJacker, OME 884, 33's no CMC, ECGS bushing, Bushwacker, Pop & Lock, Redline, Weathertech, Softopper
    Add me to the list of '09 Taco owners with radio problems. I dropped by the dealership today when the volume control stopped working and left the truck running until the service advisor could look at it. They'll call me when the new part arrives. In the meantime I've ordered the Kenwood DNX5140 & CCD 2000 backup camera from Crutchfield.ca
    The installation kit, harness & shipping are free. Bestbuy doesn't stock the camera and the price for the head unit is the same at Crutchfield.

http://monarchrifle.com/dougs_tacoma.html

3. Jun 28, 2009 at 1:25 AM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    09 and same problem

4. Jul 1, 2009 at 6:41 PM
    epa4wd

epa4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eduardo
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR
    Clazzio Seat Covers OR Wheels 40% tint Side Steps KC Fog Lights
    Got mine replaced today, knobs on this one feel softer.

5. Jul 2, 2009 at 8:33 PM
    hramo

hramo New Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner
    Add my radio to the list. I bought my 09 Taco Double Cab on the 15th of Jun. I noticed my radio problem just before I drove off the lot. The dealer ordered a new radio for me no questions asked. I called on the 30th of Jun and my service guy said that it would be another 4 to 6 weeks, because they are backordered. The problems that I’m having are that I cannot change stations or control the volume. I have stations programmed on my radio and those are the only stations that I can listen to. Is anyone else having this problem with their radio?

6. Jul 3, 2009 at 7:46 AM
    Old Soul

Old Soul Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    09 AC V6 SR5 2WD SWB
    not to many, love it the way it is

when the volume knob stops working on the unit the steering wheel volume adjuster still works in most cases. I recommend mp3 cds, I never listen to the radio and do not have to be concerned about station pre sets etc with this messed up radio. I'm going by another dealer today to hopefully get put on the radio waiting list.

oh, I have a great tip for making/burning mp3 cds using itunes if you are interested...

7. Jul 5, 2009 at 7:06 PM
    TruckinNetworkDoc

TruckinNetworkDoc Active Member

Member:
    San Ramon, CA
    Vehicle:
    Pyrite Mica 09 Access Cab
    Undercover Tonneau cover
    I've been seeing this issue as well in my new 09 Access Cab. When I talked to the sales folks the first time about it, he just wiggled the knob and called it alright and it seemed to work then. Since then it seems to be all kinds of wonky and annoy me when I hit a speed bump and the radio blasts on.

8. Jul 5, 2009 at 8:01 PM
    Raven65

Raven65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Camden, SC
    Vehicle:
    '09 Magnetic Gray Reg Cab 5-Lug
    Curt hitch, D-rings, bed mat
    Sure, let's hear it.

9. Jul 6, 2009 at 10:50 AM
    Old Soul

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    09 AC V6 SR5 2WD SWB
    first, create a playlist in itunes.

to do so.. while in the itunes player, click on file, top left..

select, new playlist... then name it.

add up to 700 mb worth of music to the playlist. 700 mb will fit on one mp3 cd. anything over that will not fit.

I guess that this part is the tip... click album at the top of the playlist and this will categorize the albums so that you can use the file/folder option to jump between the diferent albums ( cds ) on the truck cd player - that is if your truck cd player actually works :)

after you have up to 700 mb of music in the playlist, right click the playlist on the left and select- burn playlist to disc. next choose- mp3 cd -and I recommend not burning at speeds above 8x as sound clips could get missed during the burning process.

you have to pay $40 for the realplayer plus option that burns mp3 cds and my windows media player will not even play an mp3 cd if I put one in the computer, it shows the first 11 or so songs and that is it, what a joke.

hope this helps, I am sure that there are other ways to burn mp3 cds without paying for the various media players but this one works with itunes and itunes is free to download. :cool:

10. Jul 6, 2009 at 6:32 PM
    commtrd

commtrd commtrd

Member:
    Corpus Christi TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab 4wd V6
    The stock radio in my '09 is a total POS. I hate the damn thing. It turns on by itself and most of the time the volume knob does not work...have to use the steering wheel controls to adjust volume. Speaking of volume have to turn it up all the way to get to loud volume. And of course let's not forget the radio reception is marginal most of the time as well. The sure cure: jerk that junk out of the dash and put something decent in there. These trucks cost too much to not come with a decent radio in it at least. The stereo in my '07 was a whole lot better. Not great but at least it worked and sounded almost OK for a stock unit.

11. Jul 7, 2009 at 3:49 AM
    Bernie

Bernie Member

Member:
    Pa.
    Vehicle:
    taco access cab TRD sport
    none
    I hear you guys with all the volume control, light and CD issues. I have had the same problems and one new one. The station set for my satellite radio drifts and I must hit the button to get it back. I'll wait till they get good at reinstalling radios and the back order is down to a week.

12. Jul 8, 2009 at 5:34 AM
    BX1018

BX1018 Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    09 Regular Cab
    Got mine fixed last week. If that's the only problem I have with this truck, I'll take it. I'm on Tacoma #3 and have never ran into any major issues. Better now while under warranty rather than later.

13. Jul 8, 2009 at 6:38 AM
    jiles111

jiles111 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Abilene, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 RegCab 4x4 Super White
    This will only work if you have downloaded or purchased those songs from another source besides Itunes. If you have purchased your songs from Itunes, it will bark at you saying that it cannot add the songs to the playlist because Itunes will not convert the protected mp4 media to an unprotected mp3 format.

I know.. I tried a few months ago. :cool:

There is a few ways around that. What I did is just burned the disk as a regular audio CD, then had Windows Media Rip it to MP3 then re-imported it back to Itunes. Now you can add the imported songs to that playlist and burn them as MP3's.

14. Jul 8, 2009 at 7:12 AM
    Old Soul

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    09 AC V6 SR5 2WD SWB
    ^ I did not know that would happen . I have never bought anything from itunes, 99 cents a song is crazy. To download mp3s I have used emusic and other various sources, right now antifmp3 is awesome. thanks for the tip

15. Jul 8, 2009 at 9:10 AM
    tnmyke1

tnmyke1 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 V6
    TRD SUPERCHARGER TRD BRAKE KIT TRD COLD AIR INTAKE TRD AIR FILTER TRD CAT BACK EXHAUST SYESTEM TUBE STEPS HARD TONNEAU PAINATED COVER OBX SPORT PEDALS LEATHER SEATS
    is this happening to just the regular radio's or the jbl's on the 09's as well? Does anyone know? Thanks in advance.

16. Jul 8, 2009 at 4:35 PM
    commtrd

commtrd commtrd

Member:
    Corpus Christi TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab 4wd V6
    Mine is a non-jbl system. Just got some Image Dynamics XS69 components / baffles on order from Mr Marv. So it begins...

17. Jul 13, 2009 at 7:32 PM
    Raven65

Raven65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Camden, SC
    Vehicle:
    '09 Magnetic Gray Reg Cab 5-Lug
    Curt hitch, D-rings, bed mat
    Mine is the non-JBL standard model - and it is a complete POS.

My original mal-functioned the day after I bought the truck but so far my replacement hasn't flaked out yet. However, it still has lousy FM reception and when playing my iPod through the AUX input, the sound level is very low. I have to crank the volume level all the way up on both the iPod and the truck radio to get it to an acceptible level to overcome the wind/road noise when driving the interstate. Pretty disappointing.

18. Jul 13, 2009 at 7:43 PM
    commtrd

commtrd commtrd

Member:
    Corpus Christi TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab 4wd V6
    The radio in my truck is getting worse. It now turns itself on frequently and turns itself off just as frequently. FM reception is miserable and have to turn it up all the way to get any volume out of it. If the radio was as good as the one in the '07 was, I would probably not even bother to replace everything. But this one sucks. So I have spent a little over 1200 to get the stuff to completely re-do the sound in this truck, which I would rather not have had to spend but since I am planning on keeping this truck as long as I can get gas to run it I guess it's worth doing. Plus doing everything myself helps to defray the cost a little.

19. Jul 15, 2009 at 12:23 PM
    rockbug63

rockbug63 Active Member

Member:
    central coast CA
    Vehicle:
    '09 Dbl cab 4x4 SR5 tow pkg.
    Rear leaf and steering column chatter tsb blower mtr replaced(waste of time) 2nd blw. mtr.; new headlights from DRL melt issue new water pump9 leaking0around block) pwr steering rack leaks, right frt. wheel bearing bad.
    Still no new stereo and the 1st replacement is really gone nucking futs!!Hot days are the worst with no clue on what antics this unit is capable of, you think of it and it does it, ejects CD's at random, flashes codes and random garbage, turns on by itself with no display, just about alien invasion in my dash. How about a free upgrade? Mine is the single disc but is it a JBL, I don't know or care, I just want something that works...NOW!

20. Jul 15, 2009 at 12:48 PM
    Ticketdoctor

Ticketdoctor Senior Lettuce Washer

Member:
    Ithaca, NY
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Double TRD O.R. 4x4 Timberland Mica
    XM Radio Mod, TRD Skid Plate, Bed Mat, Weathertech, More to come.
    +79 for radio problems. Mine gets stuck between two satilite stations. Nice.

Last week the radio turned off and I could not turn it on for 20 minutes. It was basically dead for 20 minutes and then for pushing the on button for the 843rd time it came back on.

Like most if this is the biggest issue I have then I can not complain to much.

Products Discussed in

To Top