1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Radio shuts itself off!

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by JoeRe, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Jul 31, 2009 at 10:15 AM
    mike49

mike49 Member

Member:
    Hanson, MA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    My dealer ordered a replacement radio/CD unit 2 weeks ago. I called for a status today and it's still on back order. Service rep said there was a 4-week back order so it looks like I'll be waiting another couple of weeks.

2. Jul 31, 2009 at 10:43 AM
    dennyct@hotmail.com

dennyct@hotmail.com Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida & New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Sport
    Estang Tri-Fold
    My radio shuts off on my 09 double cab TRD Sport. I play CD's and not the radio much. Basic stock 1 CD radio. I was told that the new one is on backorder so I have to wait also.

3. Jul 31, 2009 at 10:55 AM
    commtrd

commtrd commtrd

Member:
    Corpus Christi TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab 4wd V6
    In my opinion I don't see much point in replacing the stock POS radio with another stock POS radio. Even if it works without turning itself off / on, spitting out CD's like it's pissed off etc., the thing is a piece of junk. Mine sounds staticy on FM radio and the volume has to be turned up all the way and it just sucks. Solution: replace with an aftermarket radio that in every way will work better. It's a shame that in a 30,000 dollar truck the radio doesn't work at least acceptably.

4. Jul 31, 2009 at 1:31 PM
    bebopblues

bebopblues Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC/SB
    I talked to Longo Toyota in El Monte, Ca. The parts guy says Toyota acknowledges the problem and trying to figure out what is causing the problem so they can repair it. Meanwhile, they will not exchange for new units because the problem might not go away if the new units have the same problems.

I'm not sure at which point it is considered a manufacturer defect and a recall should be in effect. Maybe someone with more knowledge about these types of things can educate us.

5. Aug 1, 2009 at 8:51 AM
    Raven65

Raven65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Camden, SC
    Vehicle:
    '09 Magnetic Gray Reg Cab 5-Lug
    Curt hitch, D-rings, bed mat
    I can enlighten you... Toyota cheaped out and put a POS $20 radio in our trucks to try to save a few bucks and now it's biting them in the butt. I have the same sound quality issues between sources as you. We all do. The radio is junk. Period.

BTW, my replacement radio flaked a little last night. The volume control stopped working. Had to switch it off & back on to get it to work again. That's exactly how the original one started and it went downhill fast afterward. This is unacceptable. Of all the complex electronics that go into a modern vehicle, the freakin' RADIO should not be a problem. Very lame, Toyota.

6. Aug 1, 2009 at 9:44 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    ^^^^^yet 1 more of several quality failures typically expected of & experienced with other brands.

Not really amusing how things nowdays seem to be mix of tech wow & really? WTF? all at the same time.

7. Aug 1, 2009 at 9:57 AM
    commtrd

commtrd commtrd

Member:
    Corpus Christi TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab 4wd V6
    This issue is what I was referring to when saying that Toyota is kind of drifting away from what they used to be. I know they could have put a decent stock radio in these trucks that would at least work acceptably functionally. The radio in my '07 worked OK (certainly not anywhere near what after-market gear would do) but acceptably nonetheless. Oh well soon as I get the new Image Dynamics components and the baffles from Mr Marv this issue will be fixed once and for all. Soft suspension is fixed and when the sound system is replaced all will be well.

I still really like my truck it's exactly what I wanted (except for the poor gas mileage) and these things that needed resolution are being dealt with at my own expense. Kind of like buying a harley I guess...spend 22 large on a bike and then have to spend at least another 2000 to make it run right. Guess that's just the way it is now.

8. Aug 1, 2009 at 3:48 PM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Agreed...sadder than mad, just disappointing especially since dealing with Toyotas since 1972. No longer the holy grail type shit of longevity & reliability & fit/finish it once was but still better than everything that's not a least twice the price. Seem to be headed the way of the big 3.

9. Aug 1, 2009 at 6:42 PM
    otter

otter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    MI
    Vehicle:
    09 4 cyl Reg Cab
    Huh, glad I noticed this thread. Last night, my radio on my new 09 shut off on me, figured it was a fluke. If it becomes a habit, I won't likely bother with warranty replacements, takes less of my time to just put an aftermarket one in there.

10. Aug 3, 2009 at 7:07 AM
    NCTacoma09

NCTacoma09 Stand for Nothing or Die for Something

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 Double Cab 4x4 V6
    Add me to the list, I have had the volume control problem a few times but it just started shutting off on me today. Time to call the dealership.

11. Aug 3, 2009 at 7:27 AM
    paranoidandroid

paranoidandroid Member

Member:
    Same exact issue here - 1K miles into owning the truck. Am having the unit replaced on Wednesday. Though from these comments, it doesn't appear that the issue will resolve.

12. Aug 3, 2009 at 3:27 PM
    JoeRe

JoeRe [OP] Member

Member:
    F/U as the OP of this thread. Finally got the call that my radio was in, took it in today. Radio was replaced and seems to work fine, BUT, multiple gouges on the grey plastic trim under the radio and multiple scratches on all three temp control knobs where the old radio must have dangled by the wiring harness and was beat against the dash! Complained to service manager and he will order in dash parts to repair! When will it end!!??

13. Aug 3, 2009 at 3:59 PM
    commtrd

commtrd commtrd

Member:
    Corpus Christi TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab 4wd V6
    This is precisely why I will not take my truck to a dealer unless it is a catastrophic mechanical failure covered under warranty. The last time I took my truck to a Toyota dealer to get the oil changed they did not put any oil back in the engine and pulled it up to the front AND LEFT THE ENGINE RUNNING while I got to the truck. I heard unusual noise (not the usual ticking) and immediately turned the engine off and checked the oil. There was no oil in the crankcase at all. I went ballistic. That is bullshit and I will not subject my truck to the fu****g morons they have working in a dealership.

I will replace my own sound system thank you very much. They will just put another POS radio in there any way. What's the point?

14. Aug 3, 2009 at 5:47 PM
    BradleyScottETC

BradleyScottETC Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Lake County, FL
    Vehicle:
    10 4.0 AC 4x4
    Well, I'll sell you all my '08 radio... It works great! :)

15. Aug 3, 2009 at 9:03 PM
    Raven65

Raven65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Camden, SC
    Vehicle:
    '09 Magnetic Gray Reg Cab 5-Lug
    Curt hitch, D-rings, bed mat
    The EXACT SAME THING happened to me (as reported somewhere earlier in this long thread) - except they also got grease on my seat. I complained and they replaced the HVAC switch cluster and the center dash section that goes around the radio with the air vents on either side (it has some minor marring on it - either from being shipped or from laying face-down on the "tech"'s workbench - but whatever). They also got the grease out of my seat fabric. I still have the minor scratches in the soft gray plastic below the HVAC controls, but they'd basically have to replace the entire dash to fix that - and I have ZERO confidence that they could do that without making a much bigger mess. The scratches aren't that big of a deal - but they still piss me off when I look at them.

So, then I took it in for its first service (only because the salesman I bought the truck from told me it was free) which is just an oil change and tire rotation. The service guy said only the oil change was free - and they'd have to charge me $12 (or something like that) for the tire rotation. I just rolled my eyes and said "OK... do it". I wasn't surprized - and was too tired to argue with them. I thought that was pretty cheezy though. That was on a Thursday. The following Saturday, I discovered that the center cap on my right-front (steel) wheel was missing. They had either forgotten to put it back on - or put it on improperly and it flew off somewhere. I called and complained again - and they ordered a new center cap (buggers MSRP for $36 each!). They wrote it off as a "warranty repair" :rolleyes: It came in a couple of days later and I went by there and let them snap it on for me - like THAT was real hard.

So... I'm 0 for 2 with the dealership service department so far - and we're talking EASY stuff. How in the world am I ever supposed to trust them to do anything complex??? At this point I have zero confidence in them.

16. Aug 3, 2009 at 10:12 PM
    JeffRock

JeffRock Well-Known Member

Member:
    Capital region, NY
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma accesscab 4x4 SR5 2.7L
    Toyota all weather floor mats. Mag light that clunks around in the jack compartment. Dog hair. Dog drool on the windows.
    Seems my replacement radio is doing this again.

17. Aug 3, 2009 at 11:33 PM
    commtrd

commtrd commtrd

Member:
    Corpus Christi TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab 4wd V6
    Imagine that...

18. Aug 5, 2009 at 11:16 AM
    jiles111

jiles111 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Abilene, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 RegCab 4x4 Super White
    Yea my replacement has been turning itself off. It has done this 3 times in the last 2 days. It has been flawless since it was replaced until now. :(

19. Aug 5, 2009 at 11:43 AM
    Rustyrooster

Rustyrooster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Decatur Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    O9 Tacoma TRD Sport Black Sand Pearl
    TRD High Performance Exhaust, Satoshi Grille, 3 inch Revtec Lift, Pioneer avh-4100dvd,Retrax bed cover
    Same problem here, 09 Taco Volume does not work Got appointment tomorrow
    Anyone else buy from Toyota of Knox with this problem and did they fix it?

20. Aug 5, 2009 at 11:48 AM
    Rustyrooster

Rustyrooster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Decatur Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    O9 Tacoma TRD Sport Black Sand Pearl
    TRD High Performance Exhaust, Satoshi Grille, 3 inch Revtec Lift, Pioneer avh-4100dvd,Retrax bed cover
    If I install aftermarket radio will my steering wheel controls work with aftermarket? Has anyone done this? Thanks

Products Discussed in

To Top